Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Here dad, I bought you this piece of crap...  (Read 7968 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Here dad, I bought you this piece of crap...
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 10:20:02 pm »

I bought him this lame book by Tim Russert about like what we learned from our fathers, or some stupid shit.  He really likes Russert and lame books, so he will probably like it.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Here dad, I bought you this piece of crap...
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 10:56:25 pm »

Yay Russert!  Thank you for increasing the levels of very warm CO2 in our atmosphere you useless prick!

*steps off soapbox*

As usual this year I will be getting my Dad a card completely unrelated to Father's Day and then maybe taking him out to dinner if we can get through such a thing.

*rifles through the cards I have prepared for just such occassions*  I'm wondering if I should give him "Sorry to hear you lost a front tooth."  or  "Sometimes Pets Just have to Go."  Decisions, Decisions.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Here dad, I bought you this piece of crap...
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 11:03:51 pm »

My dad's the same way. He doesn't like sports or anything, and he kinda likes dumb sci-fi movies, but every time I give him a dvd he seems very ambivalent. This year I got him what he asked for - a blue polo shirt with a pocket. But I got it from american apparel, so it's at least a little weird.

He works a lot, and he's married to his job (minister). Which is fine, but it makes gift giving hard. Especially since my sister has the bobblehead jesus action figures cornered.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Here dad, I bought you this piece of crap...
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 11:21:55 pm »

Mite, that your dad is a minister explains a lot.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Here dad, I bought you this piece of crap...
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 11:57:16 pm »

It's Father's Day?

I don't believe in this sort of thing.  Sorry.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Here dad, I bought you this piece of crap...
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2006, 01:26:46 am »

Mite, that your dad is a minister explains a lot.

Seconded.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Here dad, I bought you this piece of crap...
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2006, 02:00:05 am »

Shit - really? In real life I'm not a typical bad preacher's kid, honest! Do I come across like that here? Man, I need to re-evaluate my posting.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Here dad, I bought you this piece of crap...
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2006, 04:43:37 am »

Quote from:  Mite
TheInevitable, Religious girls are Easy. Trust Me.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Here dad, I bought you this piece of crap...
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2006, 04:53:39 am »

This year I got my dad a vacuum for his pool table. It always seems weird to give somebody an appliance as a gift, even when it's what they want.

I keep my Amazon wish list updated. I always remove stuff that I've acquired elsewhere within a day and am always addding stuff. But my SO refuses to buy from it since she feels like gifts must be surprises and thought of by her. My mom's the same way. She always get me at least one thing I didn't ask for, with varying degrees of success.
Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Here dad, I bought you this piece of crap...
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2006, 10:20:18 am »

Well yeah, Inevitable, got me there. Though it's my sister who's carrying the religious torch around here, and nobody's managed to penetrate her 50-foot-high wall of purity yet. She finally started drinking last year, though, so there's hope yet.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Here dad, I bought you this piece of crap...
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2006, 08:11:51 pm »

so, now you just have to get her drunk and knocked up, right?

would you win the game, then?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Here dad, I bought you this piece of crap...
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2006, 09:28:42 pm »

Embarrassingly, this year I will be giving my dad a gift basket of things I meant to give him for previous holidays, forgot about, and then found in my room while cleaning it out, the main features of which are a vintage peace-sign string tie and a book about the Civil War in cinema. He will be thrilled.

Strangely, in my family it's Mom who's more or less impossible to buy for. She never wants anything, and on those freak occasions when she does, it's always something so lame and utilitarian that you feel ashamed to buy it for her even when it was a request. (My dad got her a pair of diamond earrings last Christmas because he couldn't deal with the pitifulness of her actual request, which was -- I kid you not -- an electric flosser.) Dad, at least, always likes DVDs and weird snack foods, so he's relatively easy.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Here dad, I bought you this piece of crap...
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2006, 10:07:00 pm »

Embarrassingly, this year I will be giving my dad a gift basket of things I meant to give him for previous holidays, forgot about, and then found in my room while cleaning it out, the main features of which are a vintage peace-sign string tie and a book about the Civil War in cinema. He will be thrilled.

Strangely, in my family it's Mom who's more or less impossible to buy for. She never wants anything, and on those freak occasions when she does, it's always something so lame and utilitarian that you feel ashamed to buy it for her even when it was a request. (My dad got her a pair of diamond earrings last Christmas because he couldn't deal with the pitifulness of her actual request, which was -- I kid you not -- an electric flosser.) Dad, at least, always likes DVDs and weird snack foods, so he's relatively easy.

My mother is the same way.  After a long period of extreme negligence following being voted Best Dressed in High School, though, she is now slightly more interested in dressing well and not looking frumpy.  There may yet be hope for gift-giving.

I went to a local used book store today and, whilst browsing the Reference shelves, came across the perfect pair of books to give my dad for Father's Day: The Superior Person's Book of Words and The Superior Person's Second Book of Weird & Wondrous Words.  They were cheap and in very good condition, and therefore ideal.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Here dad, I bought you this piece of crap...
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2006, 11:43:54 pm »

oh man, so you get it from your dad?

that's the tops.

(notice that you used to word Frumpy quite well in the post, as well. you done your papa proud)



I will be giving my father a dvd of The West Wing, so he can go watch it when my brother and sister are driving him insane next year. (she is becoming even more problems as she becomes a teen. and my brother just never tells my parents anything. "you've been dating a girl for 6 months! What?")
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

thedudeabides85

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 60
  • Say good things about my dick
    • View Profile
Re: Here dad, I bought you this piece of crap...
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2006, 01:44:57 am »

For Father's Day, I'll finally let my dad know that disclosing my homosexuality was just an April Fools gag.  It's been a difficult 3 months of wearing nothing but capris.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up