Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Poll

Choose:

Yes
- 17 (58.6%)
No
- 6 (20.7%)
Indifferent
- 6 (20.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28


Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you like your first name?  (Read 17786 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2006, 07:04:52 pm »

I've got a Biblical name myself - one of the prophets. I like it pretty well; it's uncommon enough that confusion is rare and common enough that it usually doesn't cause trouble.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2006, 07:08:59 pm »

yeah, I don't necessarily mean the "strange" ones. I mean like... michael, daniel, jacob, etc. the ones you don't really think of as being Biblical.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2006, 07:32:10 pm »

Mike was fun as a kid, because I could pretend that it was Kryptonian... Mich-El. My younger brother is a Dan so it worked too. Mich-El, Dan-El. That's why Superman's name is Kal-El, I've read, because his creators were semi-observant members of the Jewish faith and thought the whole Biblical El thing was strong and cool sounding.

Now it's nice because... my middle name and last name are completely ethnic and hard to pronounce.

So I got something, anyway.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2006, 08:10:51 pm »

I've got a Biblical first name, you'll never guess it.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2006, 09:24:45 pm »

I've got a Biblical first name, you'll never guess it.

~Paul

It's Edward isn't it?  I bet it's Edward!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2006, 10:02:45 pm »

My name isn't even spelled right.  My parents can't spell.  All my names are assy.  If they just would've named me Richard Boner things would've been a lot simpler.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2006, 11:12:09 pm »

How else do you spell "Flip"?

I've never met a girl named Kyle.

I know at least seven Lindas.

I like my first name, but I did change it myself.

We should ask what Slink thinks of this thread.

Q, at least your name is spelled differently than the thousands of other Mikes.

The soap opera names that people are giving their kids now are really stupid.

Do you know how many fuck*ng "Madison"s there will be in elementary schools in a few years?

I have cousins who named their kids "Taylor" and "Morgan" and they deserve to be beaten with reeds (the cousins, not the kids).

I have sort of a biblical name.  It's Hebrew at least in pronunciation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2006, 11:24:20 pm »


The soap opera names that people are giving their kids now are really stupid.

Do you know how many fuck*ng "Madison"s there will be in elementary schools in a few years?


They are there already.  It's been in the top ten since 1997.

This is the top ten girls names for last year according to the Social Security website:

Emily
Emma
Madison
Abigail
Olivia
Isabella
Hannah
Samantha
Ava
Ashley

Most of these have been popular for a few years, but Ava has sort of come out of nowhere, making the leap from 25 the previous year and 89 the year before that.

Boys' names have usually not been as susceptible to fashion, with the same names staying at the top for decades, but this has been changing.  Now you've got Joshua and Jacob in the top ten - and Ethan.  WTF, people?

Yes, I spend too much time on that website.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2006, 11:26:26 pm »

How else do you spell "Flip"?


That's not my name, apparently i missed the point where people started using their real names for UN's.  But I guess 'round these parts everyone seems to know everyone else's name.

To clarify, my name is Colyn, which is, of course, a misspelling of Colin. 
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2006, 11:33:55 pm »

To clarify, my name is Colyn, which is, of course, a misspelling of Colin. 

Oh, honey, that is too sad.  I can see that that's enough to make anyone get snippy at Jough's joking around.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2006, 12:55:57 am »



That's not my name, apparently i missed the point where people started using their real names for UN's.  But I guess 'round these parts everyone seems to know everyone else's name.

To clarify, my name is Colyn, which is, of course, a misspelling of Colin. 

You're not the only one with a weirdly spelled name.  Mine's more fucked up than yours I assure you.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2006, 01:38:17 am »

Indeed, I see here that in the 1980's, 2,416 girl Kyles were born. I find this appalling.  There are plenty of perfectly good names for girls, what is the point of this thievery?

Interestingly it drops out of the top 1000 names for girls (so is not recorded in these statistics) in the 1990s and 2000s, but I guess that doesn't do you any good.

Speaking of naming fashions, virtually no one born after the 60s has my first name, which has made me like it even less.  It is an instant marker that I am Old, like if I were named Mabel or Mildred or something like that.

To be fair Kyle apparently started as a surname, so it's theivery across the board.

Freakonomics talks about how baby names move down the economic ladder. There's an excerpt in Slate that's an interesting read.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2006, 03:11:47 am »

yeah. all the kids at my school are named such as Madison and Chase.

Also, apparently there is this Southern thing where you name your child with the mother's maiden name.
creating such names as Stuart (a girl I am friends with. that is right-- a girl named Stuart. Her last name is basically worse. Her name alliterates.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2006, 03:47:13 am »

I have always liked my name, it's common enough that people know how to say it, but not overly popular, which is nice.  I've only had one acquaintance with my name in my entire life.  Also, some baby books say it means "darkness" "mourning" or "the dark one," which was so cool to me at one point, and now just weird.

I work mostly with two other people: one of my coworkers has a daughter named Juliette, and the other coworker has a son named Sebastian.  If an accident happens, I'll have a little Falstaff in a stroller one day.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2006, 05:02:48 am »

Also, apparently there is this Southern thing where you name your child with the mother's maiden name.  creating such names as Stuart (a girl I am friends with. that is right-- a girl named Stuart. Her last name is basically worse. Her name alliterates.)

Huh, I didn't know it was a southern thing or that it was for girls.  My brother is named Stewart, my Mother's Mother's maiden name.  My sister named one of her sons McRae.  The girls in my family are all sorta named after one another.  My Grandmother was named Fay (yes, just Fay, no middle name), my Mother is Dorothy Annette, my sister is Annette Fay, and my Neice is Casey Annette.  I'm named after my Uncle Paul and my Grandfather Marvin.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up