Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Poll

Choose:

Yes
- 17 (58.6%)
No
- 6 (20.7%)
Indifferent
- 6 (20.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28


Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you like your first name?  (Read 17819 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2006, 05:59:36 am »

Indifferent, but if I ever have a recording contract I will go by Charles the van Pockette, or pocket.  My name is hell of bland, but not alot of people have it, so I guess that is okay.  Q, how do you spell it?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2006, 08:18:57 am »

It's Edward isn't it?  I bet it's Edward!

It's Zebulon.

Man if we followed that granny's maiden name tradition I'd be named Blood. That would be sweet.
But my kid would be named Farmer. Which is I guess not so sweet.

Chase and Morgan and so on just grate right down my spine. No child should be named by a smiling early thirties professional wearing a turtle neck sweater.
Unless 'morgan' was named after the rum, that's alright.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2006, 08:20:45 am »

Wait, are we involving middle names now?

I was middle-named after my uncle Marty, meaning that of course my middle name is Zvi. This is how Jews name after each other.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2006, 12:40:43 pm »

Huh, I didn't know it was a southern thing or that it was for girls.  My brother is named Stewart, my Mother's Mother's maiden name.  My sister named one of her sons McRae.  The girls in my family are all sorta named after one another.  My Grandmother was named Fay (yes, just Fay, no middle name), my Mother is Dorothy Annette, my sister is Annette Fay, and my Neice is Casey Annette.  I'm named after my Uncle Paul and my Grandfather Marvin.

I went to camp with a girl named McRae. Well technically it's her middle name, but it's what she went by. Her first name was just Megan, so either she just liked having a weird name or there were a lot of Megans at her school or something.

Regardless, in my experience people named McRae = awesome.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2006, 05:27:29 pm »

yeah, there is also a girl at my school named "Mary-Salem" who just goes by "Salem."

that is probably my favorite. Salem. It rolls off the tongue.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2006, 08:19:14 pm »

Biblical names are often pretty awesome*, but I had to be lumbered with the most boring one possible. No, it is not Judy.




*Reuben was the eldest of the children of Israel,
With Simeon and Levi the next in line
Naphtali and Isaachar with Asher and Dan
Zebulon and Gad took the total to nine,
Jacob, Jacob and sons,
Benjamin and Judah, which leaves only one
Jacob, Jacob and sons,
Joseph - Jacob's favourite son.

Did your school do 'Joseph'? Were you in it? ALso is one of these your real name?
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2006, 09:04:07 pm »

Did your school do 'Joseph'? Were you in it? ALso is one of these your real name?

I recently played the bass guitar for a production of Joseph last December. There were some funkin' AWESOME basslines. To be fair, I did ignore most of the sheet music and did DYNAMIC improvisation. I didn't get kicked out during the interval, so I suppose it went all right.

And I got this BITCHIN' T shirt.



This is the most you'll ever be seeing of me. I don't even think I managed to pull off a T-shirt shot without looking fat/misshapen (I like to think I am neither of these things)

And much to my regret I am not called any of the names from the Jacob song. Man, if only.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2006, 09:11:58 pm »

You played a giraffe?  That's weak, man.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2006, 09:16:54 pm »

Oh dear, Jough. I thought you didn't like bad puns?

(My Graphics teacher was rather hilariously named Mrs C. Bass. A-CAPck A-CAPck.)
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2006, 09:43:07 pm »

I'm kinda ambivalent towards my name. It's frightfully common among women 18-30, but with a slightly less common spelling (I'm Sara, not Sarah - I hardly give a rat's ass anymore, though).

I was named after a great great grandmother, though, so it's not like my mom just pulled the name out of Redbook in 1980 or something.

But if I'd been a boy, I'd be John, named after Mr. Wesley, founder of the United Methodist Church. Can ya tell my dad was still in seminary while I was cookin'?
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2006, 10:05:52 pm »

My first name is one grandfather's first name and my middle name is the other grandfather's middle name.  I'm OK with my first name, but my middle name I've never been fond off.

I do have a cousin named Ross Ann.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2006, 10:27:58 pm »

At first glance I thought Judy's sign said "I played balls". Shows where my brain's at.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2006, 10:41:00 pm »

At first glance I thought Judy's sign said "I played balls". Shows where my brain's at.

I play boules.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2006, 03:13:57 am »

I have a Pavlovian response to my first name, because the only time I get called by it is when I'm in trouble with my family. I was named after my mom's best friend. It is also similar to the name of a former first lady. People always fuck it up and mispronounce it so I'm just like, "The hell with it, call me Somebody nice".
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2006, 04:50:48 am »

OK, worst naming stories, first of a series:

my great-grandmother's best friend had a baby. she named it Ornetta, because that was the tradition in her family. This baby was like, ornetta #1 billion. And then, because this was like 1900, the baby died.
So, when my grandmother was born, my great grandmother named her Ornetta, to comfort her friend.

WTF MISGUIDED GESTURES??
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up