Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Poll

Choose:

Yes
- 17 (58.6%)
No
- 6 (20.7%)
Indifferent
- 6 (20.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28


Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you like your first name?  (Read 17822 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2006, 05:29:33 am »

Or maybe your greatgrandmother stole the baby, replaced it with a dead one and just couldn't bear to change the name.

'My Baby is dead and now it's a boy!'
'Oh what a shame. By the way I just gave birth...'.
'You were pregnant?'
'Oh sure, now don't worry about that; check out dear little Ornetta.'
'That was my baby's name!'
'Uh... yeah, I thought naming my baby after yours would comfort you in your time of mourning.'
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2006, 01:21:42 pm »

I am a III, so my only problems with my first name are the fact that a) companies confuse me with my father, b) people who didn't know my dad was Jr. call me Junior, c) There is usually no way to properly enter my name in a form, and d) Being "the third" automatically implies some elite upbringing in The Hamptons or servants or something.

By tradition, I could have been called either Trip or Trey.  I'm glad that didn't happen.  The odd thing is that they were going to call me by my middle name but decided not to, and now my nom de internet is very similar to that.

My sister's kids are all named after other members of the family, so: Mary Nobles (technically first and middle), Frances, and James III (who goes by Hughes, his middle name).
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2006, 01:32:42 pm »

I am a III, so my only problems with my first name are the fact that a) companies confuse me with my father, b) people who didn't know my dad was Jr. call me Junior, c) There is usually no way to properly enter my name in a form, and d) Being "the third" automatically implies some elite upbringing in The Hamptons or servants or something.

No kidding, I'm a III too. Do you actually have to refer to yourself as 'the third' in forms and so forth? Is **** Jr. Jr. acceptable? Luckily, I don't sound like I have servants as my name is common among the proles. If I was Rupert the Third, that would be a different matter.

Of course, I am now going to name my son the same as myself so he can be 'the Fourth.'. It's not punishment; it's tradition!
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2006, 01:40:29 pm »

I hate hate hate being a Jr.  I hate it more than life itself.


Wait.. that didn't come out right.  That didn't come out right at all!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2006, 04:05:22 pm »

I like my first name, but I did change it myself.

We should ask what Slink thinks of this thread.

Funnily enough...
I think, much like you really. Although, occasionally I wonder what the hell...
That said, if you were to take my real first name, which I did keep, I do like that. I just hated what it was contracted into for daily use.
My mother changed her name slightly in about the late 70s (to Jodie), when no one was called that, and then everyone ended up being called it in the 90s. I've had, three or four female friends, one girlfriend and a male friend called Jodi or Jody.

Now, what of hating your surname?
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2006, 04:11:03 pm »

Now, what of hating your surname?

Hey Slink! You probably don't know who I am.

My surname: It is the worst Scottish surname ever. Wombat will know this.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2006, 04:26:06 pm »

My surname: It is the worst Scottish surname ever. Wombat will know this.

I cannot confirm anything about Judy's real name, as the name the Judy supplied to me was clearly cleverly made-up to sound like a character in something Great British to a ridiculously over-the-top degree.  He did the same with his address, even.   

As for surnames, I have no fondness for my own, but the Technical Staff's is useful because no one can pronounce it properly when they see it written down.  Thus we always know when a stranger is calling to try to part us from our money. Along with the callers who ask for Mrs. Technical Staff and Mr. Wombat, neither of whom exist as such.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2006, 04:28:29 pm »

Hey Slink! You probably don't know who I am.

My surname: It is the worst Scottish surname ever. Wombat will know this.

Howdy. I think I was around, at least in my... lurky sunset phase, for your arrival.
And so I ponder, being a Scot... Wemyss? Farquhar? No, they're great...
McDonald as it's dreadfully Scottish?
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2006, 05:20:48 pm »

I've always hated my surname.  Always.  I wanted to change it when I was young but missed the chance.  Now everyone knows me by it, and I've been published under it and will soon be produced under it, so it's basically too late.  It does help because there's only four people with our surname in the entire city (the other three being my parents and sister), so if someone knows our last name, they know us.  Also, like Wombat, I enjoy knowing when a telemarketer is calling for me, because it is basicaly impossible to get the name right.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2006, 05:51:19 pm »

I'm pretty eh about my surname, and I'm pretty eh about my husband's too, so I've (so far, anyway) been too lazy to change it. However, since I'm going to start publishing relatively soon (academically anyway), it's kinda now or never as far as changing my name goes. I don't want to start to build up a reputation with one name and then switch to another.

So many forms, though...
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2006, 05:54:39 pm »

If my Grandfather hadn't had it changed when he boated on over here, my last name would've been Schmielewski (Pronounced: Chhem-uh-less-key  with a lot of phlegmy stuff going on the front end.)  I am not sure if this is better or worse than my current surname.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2006, 06:42:57 pm »

man, I am so upset about my last name. I have such a boring White Guy last name. and everyone else in my family had cool last names. it was cool surnames all the way down, and then this guy marries my grandma and ruins everything.
It's a chain, like:

Munro - Blaney - (boring last name that is mine)
and on my mom's side:
Hoare (i swear to god this was it. I laughed so hard.)--Avendaņo-- Aguilera-- Barahona-- (boring last name I have now.)

I am angst(y) about it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2006, 06:47:10 pm »

man, I am so upset about my last name. I have such a boring White Guy last name.

I had the commonest surname from one whole region of the country. Probably about the second most ocmmon surname in the country... And my mother's maiden name was only a few letters off from my father's surname.

If my Grandfather hadn't had it changed when he boated on over here, my last name would've been Schmielewski (Pronounced: Chhem-uh-less-key  with a lot of phlegmy stuff going on the front end.)  I am not sure if this is better or worse than my current surname.

I often wonder whether I should have chosen a surname with a little more ethnicity to it. The one I went for gets mispronounced enough as it is. If I were you I'd so revert to Schmielewski! But I'm crazy...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2006, 07:06:24 pm »

I often wonder whether I should have chosen a surname with a little more ethnicity to it. The one I went for gets mispronounced enough as it is. If I were you I'd so revert to Schmielewski! But I'm crazy...

I'm seriously considering it.  Or taking on my mom's maiden name which is "Unger", but then my last name is soooo bland now it's not even funny. 

If I ever do the whole "Change my entire name" as I plan, I will finally be able to rest knowing that my tombstone/urn/unmarked ditch will not be a creeping horror of nomenclature.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2006, 08:03:56 pm »

If I ever do the whole "Change my entire name" as I plan, I will finally be able to rest knowing that my tombstone/urn/unmarked ditch will not be a creeping horror of nomenclature.

It's wonderful. Particularly when away working with people with similarly interesting names, and you're not bombarded with myriad questions about it being so very strange. Small towns can be ever so frustrating.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up