Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Poll

Choose:

Yes
- 17 (58.6%)
No
- 6 (20.7%)
Indifferent
- 6 (20.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28


Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you like your first name?  (Read 17845 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2006, 04:56:17 pm »

yes, once I looked it up spelled correctly, that is what I found.

thanks, though.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2006, 08:04:50 pm »

Call me old-fashioned, but I would not marry a woman who would not take my last name.

Lemme ask, belatedly: does this change if there's a reason for it? I've been pondering this because, as I prepare to get my Ph.D., I've been told that women in scientific and academic careers more or less can't change their names once they've been published under the old one, since it'll muck up your CV and seriously erode your academic reputation.

(Guilty confession: I love my last name and am secretly grateful that I will have an ironclad excuse now to keep it when/if I get married.)
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2006, 08:50:31 pm »

just my 1/10th of a cent-- my mom's name is not the same as the name the rest of us have, and so everyone asks awkwardly if my parents are divorced.
also: she is constantly enraged about people getting her name wrong.

I dont know. if it meant that much to the lady, I would take her name. That seems cool.

And, I repeated myself.
myself.
myself.
myself myself myself ...
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2006, 10:43:02 pm »

Me and my main lady have been together for a few years now and so we've talked about this sort of stuff in a semi-serious manner and I was suprised to find that if we got married she wanted to take my name. Weirdly enough I was kind of disappointed. Neither of our names are anything special, maybe it was just basic fear of commitment that someone else taking my name would symbolise.

Then again I've only known one person that I can think of who kept their own name and she was a self-righteous asshole so maybe it's for the best.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2006, 11:26:57 pm »

A friend of mine's husband desperately did not want her to take his name.  It was an act that was incompatible with his left-wing politics.  But she'd been wanting to get rid of her last name for years so she did it anyway.

I am surprised Doc that you know only ONE woman who kept her name?  I think half or more of the women I can think of kept their names.  I wonder if (going back to V's point) this is partly because I know so many academics?  Or has keeping your name fallen out of fashion with you Kids Today?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 11:41:51 pm by wombat »
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2006, 11:37:12 pm »

Y'all just reminded me to finally fill out the paperwork. Tomorrow, after hitting up a notary public, I'll be filing my petition to change my name with the Fulton County Court. I will be taking my husband's last name, but keeping my maiden name as a second middle name. Then I will be S.L.C. Malec, and maybe people will think I'm British.

I'm doing this largely for convenience's sake, because I think hyphenated names are silly and I want to have the same name as my kids. I've been avoiding changing it because it's an enormous headache - dealing with the DMV and the social security administration will be the least of my concerns, I'm afraid. Luckily I have a month before the petition goes through to figure out who all I'll have to notify.

Yikes! I'm gonna be a Real Married Lady! How scary is that!
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2006, 11:38:34 pm »

Yikes! I'm gonna be a Real Married Lady! How scary is that!

Not all that scary... 20 bucks and a courtroom can do that... take it from me. 

It's more expensive on the backend with the divorce and all.


(I am not that jaded.. best of luck to you!)
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2006, 12:09:05 am »

good luck becoming a married lady! fo' real!

I had my own moment of Grown Up Scariness today. I was checking out a small child who was buying herself candy, and her mumma said "give the man your money, now. *in that giving-command-to-kid-sweetly voice*"
I wanted to say "no! I'm just a kid! I am not a man!"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2006, 12:13:08 am »

A friend of mine's husband desperately did not want her to take his name.  It was an act that was incompatible with his left-wing politics.  But she'd been wanting to get rid of her last name for years so she did it anyway.

I am surprised Doc that you know only ONE woman who kept her name?  I think half or more of the women I can think of kept their names.  I wonder if (going back to V's point) this is partly because I know so many academics?  Or has keeping your name fallen out of fashion with you Kids Today?

Only one of the female doctors I work with changed her name, and she went the maiden-name-as-middle route. And we tend to work with the top-top doctors that have like hundreds of published papers so I'd say this is pretty accurate.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2006, 03:13:43 am »

Lemme ask, belatedly: does this change if there's a reason for it?

I'm not going to marry you, V.  It's just not going to happen.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2006, 03:27:09 am »

I'm not going to marry you, V.  It's just not going to happen.

I always knew you were a cruel bastard, to play a girl's heart thus! And after all the months of co-administration, you won't even make an honest woman of me?!
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2006, 04:17:44 am »

Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2006, 02:15:31 pm »

Mrs. del Vaca is not actually Mrs. del Vaca--she kept her last name.  Perhaps I should refer to here as Mrs. del Pollo or something.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2006, 03:48:28 pm »

She's still The Mayor's wife, though, right?

So Mrs. Mayor?

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2006, 04:01:56 pm »

She's still The Mayor's wife, though, right?

So Mrs. Mayor?

What he's trying to say is that she did not buy the cow.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up