Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Yo mama's so crass and low, she puts chocolate pieces into her mouth while she is still chewing up the previous chocolate pieces.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006  (Read 5917 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
« on: July 11, 2006, 05:21:22 am »

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07112006

"You know how sad you get thinking about dead children."

I LOLed at Beef getting up and putting on a tie because a meal was so good.  Bravo.

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six
Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 05:35:02 am »

holy shit ... that last panel of Beef is Depressing.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 05:35:10 am »

Last panel: "oh dog how did she know that"

Also: I don't know anything about dead children, but I have learned that dead puppies aren't much fun.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

nuero

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 105
    • View Profile
Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 06:24:08 am »

Haha, they money. Why don't I laugh at Achewood any more, ever :(
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 06:30:23 am »

Yes.. putting on a tie for food... yes.

Dead children don't do it to me but I have, many a time, gotten suddenly very interested in the sky.

Hey man.. the sky is a really interesting thing, y'know!  I-  I have something in my eye!  *runs out*
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 06:57:51 am »

Bonus irony is derived from the tie-worthy dinner being veal.
Logged

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 07:25:27 am »

That is such a good idea, looking up at the sky in order to evaporate excess moisture in order to prevent it from forming tears! I will try that the next time I am experiencing something bleak in public.

Emoticon of ironic inverted depressed false smiling.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 07:38:54 am »

Good call from Ben-San, I noticed the veal at the beginning of the strip in a 'isn't Molly the sort of person who'd be against that in a wishy washy way?' way but I didn't connect it to the dead children.
Can this qualify as a theme without a third mention?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

MrCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 18
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 08:37:17 am »

Once again, it is all about the eyebrows.

From Panel 1's Cute brows, to 2's concerned, and there is, in 5 and 6, an increasing anger at Beef for taking a job that he just knows will haunt him so.

If I ever die and they want to include a tasteful line drawing of me next to the full page obituary in the Times (London or New York, it bothers me not), I would like for Onstad to draw my eyebrows.
Logged
I'LL BE DEAD BY THE TIME THEY SLAP THE CUFFS ON

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 03:06:55 pm »

Beef's new "gig" reminds me of Téodor's father being an actuary.  I am sure they would have a lot to discuss, and mutual tears to shed.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 06:39:49 pm »

Is it wrong that the only thoughts I'm really able to assemble about this strip are "veal marsala? Is that a real food? Does anyone prepare it and eat it? Could I, if I wanted to? Would it be good?" Because, I mean, dead children are sad, but you have to have priorities in life.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 06:44:15 pm »

"veal marsala? Is that a real food? Does anyone prepare it and eat it? Could I, if I wanted to? Would it be good?"

Yes yes yes yes 'n' yes.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 08:05:52 pm »

I like Veal Marisa better.

Basically it's like Veal Marsala, but you eat it off Marisa Tomei's abdomen.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 08:11:39 pm »

Yes yes yes yes 'n' yes.

Not to mention yes! Also this recipe would probably be good with chicken; you should probably split the chicken breast and pound it flat first.

All of the REALLY good italian food has no noodles.

Also, Giada. Rawr.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Hopes and the Spellings - 11 July 2006
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 08:29:22 pm »

Not to mention yes! Also this recipe would probably be good with chicken; you should probably split the chicken breast and pound it flat first.

All of the REALLY good italian food has no noodles.

Also, Giada. Rawr.

Chicken marsala taunts me. Every time I look at an italian menu I see the description and think, "that sounds good." Then I see then I'm reading the description for chicken marsala and am disappointed. I find it somehow worse than the sum of its parts. Either that or I just really don't like the wine that's used in it.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up