Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that someone should really go fix up the Achewood Wiki, the Achewiki, which could serve as a knowledge base for all things Achewood?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A Sad Day Indeed  (Read 6115 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
A Sad Day Indeed
« on: July 11, 2006, 07:02:17 pm »

So, you may have heard on of the founding members of Pink Floyd and one of the greats in the history of psychedelic music past away today.  Syd Barrett, lead singer and guitar player on the first Pink Floyd album (Piper at the Gates of Dawn) is now officially dead, 30 years after mental illness that pushed him into seclusion.  At one point, it is rumored, every edible thing in his flat was laced with LSD.  He was kicked out of Pink Floyd after a few bizarre events based on his mental illness, brought out by his enormous acid consumption.  After his Pink Floyd days he made two awesome recordings, with the help of some of his old band mates, and lived with his mom.  I had heard he was painting. 

Anyways, he was 60 and died of complications from diabetes.  One of the most innovative musicians of the guitar rock era and a man who truly shone like the sun in a brief period in the late 60's will be missed.  Rest in peace.


Edit:  He died the 7th, but it was not released until today.


EDIT 2: Uh, it is gone.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 12:10:18 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 07:19:03 pm »

Indeed.  Indeed.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 07:25:02 pm »

Oh where are you now, pussywillow that smiled on this leaf?

Shine on you crazy diamond.

We will miss you.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 07:45:21 pm »

Oh where are you now, pussywillow that smiled on this leaf?


He was only a person, but I will miss him.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 08:11:26 pm »

I swear, I thought he died years ago!
I'm just so anti Floyd, except for Piper, as I thought they got boring after he 'left', and I always hated Waters, and especially Gilmore. I might have to go and listen to Piper for the first time in about ten years now.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 08:18:26 pm »

I really hate the fact that every conversation about Syd Barret is also inevitablaly about how Pink Floyd sucked after he left.  I'm sad that he went insane and it's sad that he's dead, but Pink Floyd was an awesome band with or (especially) without him.  You are entitled to believe otherwise, but you are wrong.

Shine on you Crazy Diamond.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 08:45:07 pm »

Yeah, Floyd was an okay band without Barrett.  Of course, we really do need some education so they were wrong there. ;)

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 08:56:49 pm »

I'm just so anti Floyd, except for Piper, as I thought they got boring after he 'left', and I always hated Waters, and especially Gilmore.

Quoted for accuracy.  Especially Gilmore.

Also, anyone old enough to be buying records during Pink Floyd's time has an excuse to listen to older Floyd, but please do not tell me I am wrong for saying that it is boring, because, well, it is boring.  Plus, it has been so overhyped by the older generations that people like me look at it and just wonder why people even waste their time, which leads to hatred for Pink Floyd's later shit.  Also, it is like the stereotypical high school stoner idiot music, hell of Darkside of the Moon and the Wall. 

Sorry, but after Barrett I pretty much think they were an over-hyped, over-produced (not that this is always bad, but in Pink Floyd's case it was) cliched band with absolutely nothing valid or different to say.  Almost as cliche as the use of that word.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 09:18:47 pm »

Some obnoxious BS

See, it's just not possible for Syd Barrett's fans to mourn him without slagging Pink Floyd.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 09:36:28 pm »

Yes, please take that crap elsewhere.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 10:04:14 pm »

Plus, it has been so overhyped by the older generations that people like me look at it and just wonder why people even waste their time, which leads to hatred for Pink Floyd's later shit.  Also, it is like the stereotypical high school stoner idiot music, hell of Darkside of the Moon and the Wall.

It sounds more like you have more dislike for the fans, than for the music.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 10:15:48 pm »

I am mourning him just fine, but if you want to defend Pink Floyd I can say what I want about them as well.  Like that they used a name that Barrett came up with, after he was gone, so that they could capitalize on the name he created.  Just beyond their music that is an asshole thing to do.


And I dislike the music mainly.  Just I dislike it alot more as it is always being slammed down my throat.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 10:16:09 pm »

And here I admit my complete ignorance of early Floyd. This will be remedied this evening. Any recommendations on his solo albums?

I wish I didn't keep waiting for guys to die before I decide to get into their stuff (see also: Warren Zevon).
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 10:21:23 pm »

He only has two, The Madcap Laughs and Barrett.  I would recommend the Madcap Laughs, or just Wouldn't You Miss Me- the greatest hits or whatever.  If you have heard Piper at the Gates of Dawn the solo stuff is very, very different, still similar once you collar his jive though.  Basically, I am trying to say you should start with Piper at the Gates of Dawn, as his solo stuff was made after his mental breakdown.

Edit: Barrett is also awesome, just you kind of have to get used to his solo stuff and Madcap has the better songs, or something.  And Zevon is awesome.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 10:28:53 pm »

I am mourning him just fine, but if you want to defend Pink Floyd I can say what I want about them as well.

You can say what you want, but it's pretty low class to use the mans obituary to air your hatred of the band he used to play in.

Like that they used a name that Barrett came up with, after he was gone, so that they could capitalize on the name he created.  Just beyond their music that is an asshole thing to do.

Oh Brother, that is just silly.  First, it presupposes that Syd Barrett is/was Pink Floyd, not true.  Secondly, I was pretty sure they sunk into obscurity for many years after he left the band only re-emerging when Dark Side of the Moon became a smash hit.  I heard of Syd Barrett and Piper at the Gates of Dawn many years after first hearing Pink Floyd.  I can assure you this is true of 99 percent of their fan base.  It's probably true of you as well.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up