Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do not bone your neighbor's wife. That is hella lame.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A Sad Day Indeed  (Read 6134 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 10:42:40 pm »

He didn't play in the band I hate.  A different band with the same name is the one I hate.

Syd Barrett wrote the vast majority of Pink Floyd's lyrics and music in his years with them.  He also was the one that came up with the name.  When he left the band they were one of the most popular in England.  So, while I don't know whether or not they were popular right after he left, it certainly carried name recognition.  I don't see how that is necessarily relevant though.  Did Joy Division change their name after Ian Curtis died?  Yes, as did the members of Nirvana.  Why?  Because when the guy that writes your songs and sings your songs is unable to continue, you are a different band.  The only reason to keep the same name is to sell records to people who think you are the same band.  It would be hard to argue, however you feel, that Pink Floyd performed similar music from thier first era to their next.

As for me, my dad had Piper and Dark Side on vinyl, so I listened to them both when I got my first record player at like 12.  I am not for sure which one I listened to first, but I immediately like Piper better and stuck with that.  They were both German pressings too, which I thought was cool.  I will admit that I had heard of Dark Side first, but I had never heard it.  Although, I probably heard of the Wall before any others.


I don't like post Barrett Floyd, you do.  Respond to this if you want, but nothing is going to change.  In other words, this is my last post on the subject.  Maybe I will go argue with my roommate about Macs vs. PC's, as it will go about the same as this.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2006, 10:54:03 pm »

LIAR!!! (to myself)

Sorry, but one more thing.  You grew up when Pink Floyd was popular, I am assuming.  Anyways, if I would have I am sure I would have liked it, but, as it is, I don't see it as new or, more importantly, important.  Then I get all extra mad at Pink Floyd because I have alot of stupid friends that consider Pink Floyd one of their favorite bands, but they have never heard Piper at the Gates of Dawn, but always make me sit through like Animals and Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Or whatever that album is called).  I also pretty much consider Piper, along with Bob Dylan's Bringing It All Back Home, to be both top 10 albums of all time, probably because I listened to both when I got that record player. 

They are not that bad, I just don't think they deserve the amount of respect they get.  Sorry, and now I really am over.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006, 11:07:08 pm »

ok, so, Piper is the Barret-era one to listen to?
I only have Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall.

I've had some intense moments listening to The Wall and just freaking out. I remember the day I first listened to that album in extreme detail.

edit: I mean that I remember the details of the day, not that I remember the first time that I listened to the album "In detail."

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2006, 11:09:24 pm »

You can say what you want, but it's pretty low class to use the mans obituary to air your hatred of the band he used to play in.


That's a mischaracterization of KH's first post, which was generally respectful and positive. The first person to mention not liking post-Barrett Floyd was Slink, and he was fair about it too.

The problem here is not the argument, it's the argumentation. Respect people's opinions and we'll all get along.
I really hate the fact that every conversation about Syd Barret is also inevitablaly about how Pink Floyd sucked after he left.  I'm sad that he went insane and it's sad that he's dead, but Pink Floyd was an awesome band with or (especially) without him.  You are entitled to believe otherwise, but you are wrong.


Just because he disagrees with you, he's wrong.

Nice.


Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2006, 11:11:32 pm »

Shit dude, if just listening to it gave you the creeps, try watching it. Sober or altered, it's a trip. Dude had some issues.

I am now being told that he's got a bike, and I can ride it if I like. This is some interesting stuff.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2006, 11:23:11 pm »

Shit dude, if just listening to it gave you the creeps, try watching it. Sober or altered, it's a trip. Dude had some issues.

I am now being told that he's got a bike, and I can ride it if I like. This is some interesting stuff.

Have you listened to Pow R Toc H or Take Up Thy Stephescope and Walk?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2006, 11:24:09 pm »

That's a mischaracterization of KH's first post.

Yes, but not each one since.

Just because he disagrees with you, he's wrong.

Yeah, I didn't really mean that, I was being flippant.  Flippant!

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2006, 11:44:25 pm »

He didn't play in the band I hate.  A different band with the same name is the one I hate.


You know what?  Fuck you. 

You've been asked repeatedly by the moderators of this forum, Paul and myself, not to do this in this thread.  Yet you persist.  OK, you don't like Pink Floyd.  We get it.

Want to knock post-Barrett Pink Floyd?  Fine.  Start a thread to do that in.  You are more than welcome to your opinion, and I'd be the last to censor it.  In fact, I'll do it.

But I do think it's rude when you're asked to refrain from a subject in particular thread to keep bringing it up.


« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 11:48:42 pm by AugustWest »
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2006, 11:47:25 pm »

We're on the raw edge today, y'all.

Everyone OK? Do we need a group hug?

I'd call that moderated by someone authorized to do so. Time to press on.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2006, 04:00:03 am »

Well, I don't see a problem with someone mentioning that they hate Pink Floyd, but then again, I don't want to have Pink Floyd's baby like some folks here.

Maybe it would be best just to shut the fuck up when you're obviously upsetting someone, though, dude, unless we're discussing religion, in which case, well, let 'er rip, you know?

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2006, 04:09:19 am »

We're on the raw edge today, y'all.

Everyone OK? Do we need a group hug?

Yes, I could use a hug.  I just gave up caffeine cold turkey.  Today is day two, and 'on the raw edge' is a very good way to describe how I was feeling.  Since this afternoon I visited the medicine cabinet and I am feeling a little better.

I appologize for being nasty earlier.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2006, 04:34:37 am »

It is a very sad day, Commodores founding member Milan Williams also died today.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2006, 04:45:16 am »

Yikes, Paul. I've had to do that before (luckily not for keeps), and i can say without a doubt that cutting out caffeine was harder than cigarettes and booze combined. It gets better! Good luck!

*tiptoes away from the boards so as not to accidentally cause a flame war*
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2006, 05:31:32 am »

Yea, I probably took it too far.  I am sorry too.

I do think, however, we should be allowed to argue.

Goodluck breaking from caffeine, man.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: A Sad Day Indeed
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2006, 06:10:16 am »

Mite-- yeah, I had watched it before. but I'm a sound person. so listening to it in the dark on headphones was the thing that really wigged me out.

so, I must have some kind of deep inability to interpret written language. Because I always think our conversations are civil/joking until people start making explicit comments about Rudeness or Assholeness or Whatever.

"oh man, he said he was going to shank her and leave her in a ditch. Haha!"
*reads further*
"oh. Maybe people are taking that seriously? what?"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up