As mentioned I attended the Greek Festival Yesterday. Here's how it went. On the way,
these two lasses caught my eye. My car could certainly use a washing and a bunch of teenaged girls with a water hose is always a recipe for fun. I should have paid closer attention to the sign for it was only
a bunch of boys washing the cars as the car wash was a fundraiser for the local boxing club. The boys did a fine job washing my car though so I have no complaints about the bait and switch. They had lots of customers too so I'm sure they raised plenty of money to travel to Salt Lake City and get their heads bashed in.
As soon as I got back in my car to drive away I was stung by a wasp.
This wasp actually, who was still very much alive after having stung me. I was under the impression that the act of stinging a person was a death sentence for a wasp. Is this an urban legend? I'm not allergic so it was no big deal really.
After a brief delay to dispatch the wasp I was on my way again. I arrived at
the Greek Church and walked around for a bit. I ran into
my neighbor from two houses down who I only met this week while out walking. She told me she was a volunteer for the Festival, but being a modest Utahan she didn't mention that she is the principal organizer for the event. I passed on the
silent auction. Hey I here for the food so I made my way over to
the food tent. Hmmm, what am I gonna have? Ok, I'll make it easy, I'll take
one of everything. Weight Watchers means never saying your sorry. Besides, this is Greek Fest, you gotta try everything. So I got my food and walked back out to the pavilion and found a seat.
I struck up a conversation with
this woman and her Father who are former Priceites who came back to town for the Festival. It turns out that she is
a professional photographer who works in Los Angeles. So naturally I asked her to take my photograph. However, being a professional photographer in Los Angeles apparently isn't a guarantee you'll
get a good photo. You can take the girl out of Price, but you can't take the Price out of the girl. Nevermind, I guess she knows something I don't if she's making a living with her photography.
After Dinner and a short wait it was time for
the dancing. I was looking forward to this, but was pretty disappointed. They were alright for middle school kids, but I guess I'm pretty spoiled by the
great dancing I'm used to seeing at the Greek Festival in Houston.
During the dancing
my friend Nancy arrived. Everbody knows Nancy because she's the pastor at the
Methodist Church in town. So we were stopping every five seconds so someone could say hi to her. Some of her friends seem rather confused
where the camera that is taking their picture is located. At least one of them though, I must say,
has a really nice pair*. I also ran into
an acquaintance of mine who was a checker at the Smith's Grocery Store where I shop. We became friends because I said she looked like Mary Tyler Moore circa The Dick Van Dike Show era. The resemblance was much stronger before she cut her hair. I wish I had a picture of her wearing that
flip style MTM had back then. Initially she seemed offended that I would compare her to someone so old, but then she went and googled her and realized it was a compliment. Alas she's left Smith's to become a teacher. I suppose the children need her more than I.
Somewhere along the line
my friend Jarrod called. He was supposed to be on his way down south to Green River to go canoing with a dude from work. But on his way home from the office his car broke down and he had to
call a tow truck to get it home. Fortunately it's only a busted radiator hose which he'll be fixing today, but it kept him from Green River. Naturally he's pretty bummed by all this. But he knows I'm at the Greek Fest so he asks if I'll come get him. So Nancy and I go to pick him up.
We get back to the Fest and
have dinner. We are quite a trio us three with Nancy, being a Methodist Minister, Jarrod, a staunch atheist, and me, somewhere in the middle, not sure what the hell happens in the hereafter. But so what, we get along just fine. And
just for you misterqueue I had the
delicious spanakopita (not that I needed the encouragement).
After a brief wait while our dinner settles it's time for the main event
the pastry. Oh yeah
it was delicious!. Lest you think I've totally lost my mind, I only had one bite from each piece.
Jerrod and Nancy ate the rest. While we enjoyed the pastry we listened to
The Grecian Keys which featured a
bouzouki player. I know it's a bouzouki because the dude sounded it out for me, boo-zoo-ki. I guess he's used to explaining what his instrument is to Utah rednecks. They were really great (sarcasm).
After that it gets a little strange because Nancy wants me really bad, but I'm not interested. I think I'm going to have to just straight up tell her that it's not going to happen. I was hoping that since I'll be leaving town soon it would just play itself out. But I don't think she understands this and it's getting awkward. I mean, she's a nice lady and she's more sophisticated than most people you'll meet in Price (She's from Denver), but no. I'm not about to get it on with a Minister and that's that. Also, and you can call me sexist and hypocritical, but she's just too large. I'm sorry.
Oh yeah, there's one other thing, Side Show, there was no
taramasalata on the menu. I asked almost 7 Utah Greek ladies about this, I even had it
written on a paper, and still nobody had heard of it. Finally I found
one old lady who knew what I was talking about, but I think she may have been senile. When I get back to civilization I'll find and have this dish.
It was a great day.
~Paul
*Pink Floyd/Syd Barrett reference