Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Established 2003
TOUAMB: Wandering off topic since the early 21st Century

Poll

Do you wash it every day?

Yep
Not every day

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: The washing hair debate  (Read 63016 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2006, 01:43:25 am »

I have had the same person cut my hair for years now, so it is easy.  She has been following the whole saga of whether I will ever get a job and so on, so we don't lack for conversation.  I highly recommend having the same person cut your hair all the time if only because it is less of a pain than talking to a new stranger in a ridiculously awkward situation like that.

Although come to think of it, it would be nice if my life were settled enough for a while that I had nothing to talk to the hairdresser about. 

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2006, 01:55:38 am »

I hate having the talk to the hairdresser. The worst is places where they want to massage your head before they wash it. That's just horrible.

I must respectfully disagree and state that the scalp massage is the best part. I love Aveda salons because they almost always massage your scalp and hair with fragrant oil, and then wash your hair. They are also against animal testing.

Also, if you don't talk to the hairdresser, they are less likely to give you a haircut that you like. Then again...I have curly hair that is several different textures (smooth towards the front of my head, but coarser towards the back) so I have to have someone who not only understands the human head (heh... that reminds me of Ray's admonishment that you cannot pay too much for a haircut. However, I must disagree with Ray and state that for me personally, having the right haircut is a starting point, the rest of the foundation of the Pyramid of Good Hair is built on product: shampoo/conditioner, and styling product.

When my hair was shorter, product was essential for keeping my hair shiny. Now, however, the detangling part is more important. I switch between two shampoos/conditioners: Aveda Black Malva and Garnier Fructis Sleek/Shine. I can't towel-dry my hair without tangling it, so I just wrap it turban style in a towel for a few minutes, then apply Ojon Conditioning Shine Serum which smells goddamned heavenly, and then I blow it dry. Once it's dry, I take a tiny amount of Aveda Self Control, liquefy it in my hands, and distribute to the ends and back of my hair. It's a hair wax/pomade that helps smooth out coarse hair and keep it from frizzing up. Those two products cost a shitload, but they are so worth it. My next purchase is going to be Ojon deep conditioner, which is like fifty bucks but if the shine serum is any indication, it'll be worth its weight in gold.

Then I'm done. I get a haircut at the Aveda salon about every 6 weeks. If my hair gets really dry, I use a deep conditioner (either by Aveda or Garnier Fructis). I pin my hair back to keep it off my face or use a scarf or headband, and I'm set for the day.

I love the scalp massage because it's so relaxing and luxurious. I love having someone else wash my hair. Totally worth the $50 haircut.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 02:03:44 am by linnea »
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2006, 02:20:16 am »

There are two kinds of people in the world, those who find a massage relaxing and those who are totally creeped out by having a stranger touch them. I can barely stand to have my hair washed - if they tried to massage me with oil I'd probably run screaming into the street. But then, relaxing has never been one of my talents.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2006, 03:05:01 am »

I cut my own hair; I've never noticed whether I hold a conversation with myself at the same time.  I can say for sure that no oil is involved.  Other than that which lubricates the clippers.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2006, 03:29:13 am »

Linnea's link, fixed: 3rd question
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2006, 03:58:51 am »

Linnea's link, fixed: 3rd question
Damn! Thanks, Choop. A fine job CJing. A tiny can of Dr. Pepper to you, good sir.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2006, 09:55:42 pm »

I cut my own hair; I've never noticed whether I hold a conversation with myself at the same time.

I find myself imagining you doing a running narration while you cut your hair, and somehow not noticing that you're doing a running narration.  This is wonderful thing to imagine.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2006, 04:37:29 am »

I go to a cheap place.  When there is someone available they say hi and then they cut my hair.  I give them a $20, and say 'keep the change' and walk out feeling like a big shot.

When I am going outside, I wash my hair and the rest of me.  Other times I do not.  Outside and non-washed me do not happen together.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2006, 07:18:26 pm »

What confuses me is that people say they need these huge cars because they have kids, but aren't families smaller than they used to be?  Why have cars gotten bigger?

It's not the families themselves, it's the volume of crap you bring with you.  A big goddamn stroller, a huge fuck*ng diaper bag, and a billion jillion accessories that our parents sure as hell didn't have, but now we just can't fuck*ng live without.  Or our kids will DIE.

Not that I'm bitter about this or anything.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2006, 01:10:12 am »

...accessories that our parents sure as hell didn't have, but now we just can't fuck*ng live without.  Or our kids will DIE.

Hey, what is that accessory that keeps babies from dying?  I have a lot of friends who are either pregnant, recent parents, or tryin' so I'm thinking I should buy a couple.

If there is an item so upfront in marketing that they claim to specifically protect your baby from death... we'll I don't know if they evil, or geniuses or both.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2006, 01:28:59 am »

Actually apparently there are a ton of products like that.  I was surprised to find when I visited my sister that she has special clamps to keep the toilet seats closed.  I didn't know we had a big problem with toddlers drowning in toilet bowls.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2006, 02:24:35 am »

Actually apparently there are a ton of products like that.  I was surprised to find when I visited my sister that she has special clamps to keep the toilet seats closed.  I didn't know we had a big problem with toddlers drowning in toilet bowls.

Oh Jesus, that's going to be me in a few years when I have my Suri look-alike*. I am probably too nervous to ever have chlidren. I'm always afraid they're going to break or something. Thank God that all of the kids I've dealt with in my EMS career so far have been conscious. EMS is one situation where I'm grateful to have a screaming child, because it means they at least have an airway. It's the limp, blue children that freak you the hell out.

I was holding a friend's baby at EMS training the other night, and they all joked that I was going to be like another lady in our town, who is Supermom and is there at every little cough and sniffle that her baby emits. I can't help it, they're little and fragile!



*I decided that I didn't really care about having kids -- until I saw a photo of Suri. I fuck*ng hate Tom Cruise and his weird-ass religion and his bizarre antics, but when I saw her little face I was like, "WTF! She looks like she should be my daughter! How did they end up with a child with hair like mine??"
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2006, 02:30:21 am »

*I decided that I didn't really care about having kids -- until I saw a photo of Suri. I fuck*ng hate Tom Cruise and his weird-ass religion and his bizarre antics, but when I saw her little face I was like, "WTF! She looks like she should be my daughter! How did they end up with a child with hair like mine??"

Well, with all those rumours floating around, it is possible that someone extracted and egg from you and grew her in a tube somewhere.   Since apparently Katie was just hiding a beach ball under her shirt, and you know Tom's c*ck shrivels when it comes within two feet of a pu$$y.  So what I am saying is that they stole your baby.  Go get her and change the name to something that's not so stupid ass stupid, okay? 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2006, 07:14:01 am »

Actually there is this wonderful little concoction I buy from the local salon made from fresh goat cheese curds mixed with purified bile from three and a half week old baby pomeranian puppies, it smells like lavendar and brings my natural shine out a treat.

My normal haircut costs about 10 to 15 bucks and I get it cut about once every three months or so. Last year I got it shaved to I went more like six months, I'd do it again but I have a giant scar across my head and my girlfriend intimated that if I once again had a haircut that made me look like a skin head she would cease providing companionship for the duration of the offending 'do. My brother who regularly spends 70+ dollars on his hair and buys all sorts of gels and mousses (Moussi?) finds this state of affairs disgusting as well as the fact that I have what is apparently a perfect part while he doesn't. My hair goes sideways down the middle, I assume this is because I leave it alone without fuck*ng with it so gravity does the rest while he fights gravity and nature at every turn.
It's getting long enough that I need to cut it again soon but I don't like my hair at medium length because it makes me look look 12.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2006, 09:03:27 am »

Also: Suri is obviously that baby the Raelian's cloned a few years back, the scientologists just stole her.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19   Go Up