Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Poll

Do you wash it every day?

Yep
Not every day

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: The washing hair debate  (Read 63128 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #180 on: December 04, 2006, 03:44:19 pm »

Back on topic:

Now my hair is officially down to my shoulders. I have noticed that even using my expensive-ass Aveda Sap Moss shampoo and conditioner, which is supposed to be super-moisturising, has left my hair very dry.

I have moved to a new stage in my hair's life. I am now washing it every other day. On "off" days I wear a headband or some other disguise-atory measure to conceal any perceived unwashedness that I have.
Logged

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #181 on: January 23, 2007, 03:16:55 am »

Okay, I got lazy and didn't read all 13 pages. So if I'm repeating suggestions other people have made, deal. ;)

This suggestion from my uber hairdresser best friend who works at the most chi-chi spa in town:

Wash your hair every other day, but give it a good rinse, at least, in the shower. Alternatively, if you can't stand this, wash it every day, but dab some conditioner on the ends before you shampoo. Then shampoo, concentrating on the scalp only. The suds from your scalp as you rinse will rinse out most of the conditioner on the ends. Then condition as usual.

I've found this to work really well for me. Keeps my hair moisturized but not greasy. The hair near the scalp tends to be oilier than the hair at the ends anyway, so essentially what you're doing with the rinse-only option is distributing the oil down the hair shaft; and with option #2, you're sort of balancing it out by greasing up the ends and washing the scalp.

Hope that helps.
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #182 on: January 23, 2007, 03:35:46 am »

ok, just as long as we're on personal hygiene type stuff: how does every day vs. every-other-day washing work for skin? It's hard for me to tell, because I don't know how quickly that effects your skin. IE: I, lately, have been taking a shower every other day. This seems to be making my skin better (I suffer from some acne. luckily not much on my face, but, still.) However, I am not sure whether my current improving skin is the result of constant washing last week, or last month, or what.

Basically, what I'm saying is-- when changing cleaning regimens for skin, how quickly does it take effect? Does what I do today effect me tomorrow, or only a week/month from now?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #183 on: January 23, 2007, 04:17:34 am »

ok, just as long as we're on personal hygiene type stuff: how does every day vs. every-other-day washing work for skin? It's hard for me to tell, because I don't know how quickly that effects your skin. IE: I, lately, have been taking a shower every other day. This seems to be making my skin better (I suffer from some acne. luckily not much on my face, but, still.) However, I am not sure whether my current improving skin is the result of constant washing last week, or last month, or what.

Basically, what I'm saying is-- when changing cleaning regimens for skin, how quickly does it take effect? Does what I do today effect me tomorrow, or only a week/month from now?

Do whatever works for your skin. If it calms your skin to only wash every other day, then by all means do it. Some people have skin that is sensitive to even such basic stuff as water. Mammals have sebum glands in their skin to help protect it (and our fur/hair/whatever), and constantly washing it strips it away. I remember when I was 13 and plagued with oily skin, and I got a bar of Neutrogena for acne-prone skin and washed my face like... 5 times in one day. I've never felt pain like that in my life. My face hurt SO bad. Kellichou touched my face and I freaked out because it felt like she was grinding sandpaper against my skin. That awful little lesson taught me that you CAN wash your face too much.

and muse, good suggestion. At first I was like, "WTF, quit exaggerating..." and then I looked down and realized that this thread did indeed have thirteen pages.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #184 on: January 23, 2007, 01:24:37 pm »

Once a dermatologist prescribed a cream for my face and said to put it on twice a day, and I said, "Oh, does that mean you shouldn't wash your face more than twice a day?" and she said "No one knows."

Of course I should also mention that I didn't think she was very bright and I decided that some people go into dermatology because they didn't do very well in medical school and wanted a speciality where they were unlikely to kill someone.  But it seemed to me it was safe to conclude, there is no one official answer to that question that works for everyone.  If there was I think she would have at least known that much.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #185 on: January 23, 2007, 08:44:54 pm »

Back to the topic of hair styling goop, I found a miracle product that has replaced my beloved Wen styling creme. 

Bed Head Manipulator. 

It's very gooey in your hand, but it adds texture and control to my wavy hair without being stiff.  Sorry I sound like a pantene commercial. 

Has anyone else tried this stuff? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #186 on: January 23, 2007, 09:16:26 pm »

I think I would be too embarassed to buy a product with that name.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #187 on: January 23, 2007, 09:27:59 pm »

Now that my hair is long, my liquid gold product o' choice is this brown paste made from a certain type of palm nut oil -- I'm certain I've raved about this stuff in this thread before. It has a smoky, rich, woodsy scent (although some haters have described it as "wet ashtray", I adore it). You melt some in your hands and apply it to dry hair until your hair is saturated. Then you let it sit (mine stays on my hair overnight and I just cover my pillow with a towel), and wash it out the next day. Of course, it is a rich oil and I have thick, unruly Sicilian hair, so I apply a little bit before and after blowdrying. It is SO good. I still have some Aveda Self Control paste left, which I'll continue to use, but I think that my hair needs moisture and not wax. I also got some Ojon Moisturizing Styling Cream that is being shipped to me. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #188 on: January 23, 2007, 10:27:21 pm »

I want to market an aftershave/scalp lotion called Good Head.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #189 on: January 24, 2007, 01:31:59 am »

There's already a liquid on the market called Good Head, but it's not an aftershave...

Please don't make me provide a link. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #190 on: January 24, 2007, 01:40:04 am »

I am afraid to look it up.

...but I'm not really sure what that liquid would be for.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #191 on: January 24, 2007, 02:06:19 am »

Dammit, people. 

http://www.babeland.com/page/TIB/PROD/under-30/09910


Click at your own risk. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #192 on: January 24, 2007, 02:39:42 am »

Oh Internet, why does every topic end up being about sex?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #193 on: January 24, 2007, 02:50:45 am »

Oh Internet, why does every topic end up being about sex?

Did you have this problem while I was away?  Because to hear Jough tell it (via iChat), it's just me. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #194 on: January 24, 2007, 02:59:22 am »

I would say he's pulling your leg, although you may be the only one who has more than once linked to the sort of things sold by Babeland.

Also, did you read the ingredient list on that product? Yuck. I'd expect it to be made of stuff that sounded more edible.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19   Go Up