Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: August Blogs!  (Read 14056 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2006, 08:49:47 pm »

Well, the liquor stores in Virginia are all state-run.  And perhaps they don't want to condone gambling. 

Since the lottery is, you know, state-run as well.  Never mind, that makes no goddamn sense.

They also won't sell cigarettes so maybe that really is it. They either don't want it to be a one-stop vice shop run by the state or they really do want that because it would be profitable but are afraid of public backlash. Hell, they just started opening the ABC stores on Sundays last year.

The fact that stores here can't sell those disposable vibrating cock rings from Trojan make me think it's the former though. Stupid uptight state making me go to different stores for booze, lottery tickets, and porn. Like I have that kind of time. I'm a busy man! I have whiskey to drink, tickets to scratch, and porn to ... peruse.
Logged

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2006, 05:16:09 am »

Of course we now have pat going for the coconut rum.

I once had an unintentionally Achewoodian drinking night at a friend's place ... first he produced a bottle of coconut rum (extra irony points since he's gay) and some vodka (sadly though, not Ketel One), then he found some Gusano Rojo (which wasn't as bad as I was hoping), but I finally settled on some Guinness that was in his fridge left over from a party.

(I (((like) parenthes(es)), apparently.))
Logged

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2006, 06:10:21 am »

I feel like I'm reading some Scheme code, there.
Logged
~

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2006, 08:40:08 pm »

Beef needs to hook up with this guy and they can just eat themselves into nacho-comas.
Logged

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2006, 03:21:51 pm »

http://raysmuckles.blogspot.com/2006/08/my-friend-made-sex-magazine-read-it.html

I never get tired of the Ray / Beef dynamic.  I love this:

"Dude keeps it real, and doesn't risk much money. Dude plays it tight. That's my boy. My boy is Roast Beef, and he has so much sense he can barely get outta bed each day."

I get bad depressive spells myself; I'm going to start using this as my motto. "World, you are lucky I even got out of bed today, I got so much sense."
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2006, 06:08:14 pm »

Whenever someone from New York visits me in California, they are amazed that you can buy vodka in Rite-Aid.

I've been living here for three years. I am still amazed.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2006, 07:55:48 pm »

Quote
I am always fascinated by the real gone ones, the souls who looked in the gutter and said, "let's do this."

I love this sentance very much.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2006, 08:03:12 pm »

Paul, we ain't seeing much of you these days, it seems. What gives? Everything going swimmingly?
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2006, 02:48:20 pm »

'Stad was channeling Dan Jenkins when he wrote that.


I would have said Wodehouse, but whatever...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2006, 08:45:19 pm »

I am so uninterested in this golf business that it makes me want to weep that Onstad spent so much time writing such a long entry about it.  Think of all the entertainment I could have had instead. *sniff*
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2006, 09:18:26 pm »

I am so uninterested in this golf business that it makes me want to weep that Onstad spent so much time writing such a long entry about it.  Think of all the entertainment I could have had instead. *sniff*

Gotta agree with you, Womby. I have hated golf every minute of life, except for the three minutes after I had hit a sweeeeet shot down the fairway. I'd have been happier longer, but I hit a sand trap and fell out of love with the game from that point onwards, quicker than you can say "this game is a load of bollocks".

It doesn't help that golf is the most boring thing on Earth to watch. Some vague activity on the screen, a droning voice I never pick up on, the occassional *thwack* and the most inanely polite clapping in the world.

From what I can deduce, golf is only fun when you are playing it and doing well; something that requires free time and patience and money. Maybe I will give golf a try, when I'm 64.

Minigolf is a bit more tolerable. In France there was this madly inventive one involving fountains, rivers, chippers, and loop-de-loops. But as any hardened pro will tell you, it's not really golf.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2006, 11:46:35 pm »

The golf obsession thing is... interesting as a facet of the guy's work, anyway, even if... the actual idea and execution of golf blogging is pretty much the most boring thing ever incorporated into the larger Acheworld.

I mean, I'm only speaking for myself here, but my father instilled in me from a very young age that golf-without-windmills was an art solely perpetrated by upper-middle-class douches trying to pretend that they're actually full-on rich douches... and it's something I've never quite been able to shake.

But that's what's interesting about Chris writing about it, it's an interest that is pretty much strictly anethetical to all of his other interests and yet... there is it, probably because it was drilled into his head in his early youth by his dad. And because it is so engrained from so early, it exists with other portions of his personality that... really... it should not co-exist with.

Writing a comic strip about cats and *****s that get stoned and... playing golf... should not be parts of the same person.

And yet, there is it. This is the only level the golf stuff is interesting on, of course, but there's something to it.

Sort of like when you go to your hometown and run into people you were friends with in... elementary school or high school that... now, you kind of have nothing to say to because your interests are so different and yet you're still friends, so all you talk about is the past and such forth.

In your youth, you could be friends with someone because you lived on the same street or had the same homeroom or your parents were friends and... it could still make sense, even though your interests had zero overlap. Now, ten years later or whatever, of socially selecting people with similar interests through your college and your career or whatever...

And the whole thing smacks of incongruity and, yet, there it is.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2006, 12:39:58 am »

hm. And here I was, thinking that golf was a vaguely elegant game.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2006, 12:57:44 am »

littlefalls, those are very thoughtful and intelligent observations, and I really tried, but they still didn't make me feel better. I am still going to cry if he ever again writes such a long entry on golf.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: August Blogs!
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2006, 01:29:04 am »

It's especially telling how the worlds greatest golfer is an upper-middle class preppy douche from a long line of East-coast establishment, upper-middle class preppy douches.  Right?

Try to separate the cultural associations about the game from the actual game.  Otherwise you seem awfully closed minded and prejudiced.  There are millions of working class people people who play golf.  There are also lots of folks who play the game because they enjoy the challenge it provides, or because they enjoy the opportunity to be outside for a few hours, or because the enjoy spending time with their friends.

In that golf is an individual sport which requires one to hone a specific set of muscle movements, it could be said to be most comprable to bowling or pool; both of which have entirely different cultural associations.

As to golfing being incongruous with Onstad's personality, it don't see it.  Based upon what we know of him, (foodie, Stanford grad, literateur, et al) one thing seems fairly plain about the man.  He's an upper-middle class douche.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up