Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Dog Has No Nose.

Poll

Candles: good or bad?

Good!
Bad!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Candles  (Read 6380 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Candles
« on: August 07, 2006, 11:47:39 pm »

As a firefighter, I have traditionally been very opposed to the idea of candles. To me, they just seemed kind of useless and too hazardous. I mean, I live in a country of people who spend all year nuking Lean Cuisines in the microwave, and then get this harebrained idea to deep fry a turkey in 2 gallons of boiling peanut oil and then burn their fool houses down. For some reason I equate candle burning with fool-headedness. I don't know how a Partylite Mulberry candle got equated with a deep-fried Turducken accident in my mind. I guess that my head is just a weird place to be. 

Also, when Lennybruce was a kitten, my mom was burning a candle and he was checking it out and burned off his sad little eyebrows. :( I had no idea what was going on until I smelled this awful, burining-hair scent and then found little Len-Len hiding beneath the sofa with no goddamn eyebrows! So I figured that candles and my house would forever be incompatible.

Then one of the small businesses here got some delicious candles from a company called Pacifica. I love fresh limes and papaya, and this scent is just intoxicating. I am forever ruined, because they smell so goddamn awesome. They also cost a lot. I bought all the Bali Lime/Papaya candles she had, and I'm hoping that she'll order some more.

I wanted to order some from their website, but they charge a retardedly high amount to ship to Alaska (it was $18 for one large candle, and then $18 to ship! Retarded!).  Anyway, a lady that I work with had a Partylite catalogue going around, so I ordered a mojito scented candle and pomegranite/pineapple candle. God, why did I think that they would smell good? Yuck. They are totally cloying and sweet and artificial smelling.

Anyway... any of you in the same candle-boat? I am still all paranoid and only burn them on my stovetop, and only while I am in my kitchen/living room area. Some of my friends have them all over their houses, but I seem to have stringent rules for safety at my hizzouse. Better safe than sorry, I guess.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Candles
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 11:50:05 pm »

I'm going to vote for "good," but like most good things -- alcohol, fried food, and superpowers, for example -- they must be used responsibly. (And generally not in your dorm room.)

I am baffled by the existence of a candle that smells like a mojito, though.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Candles
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 11:55:31 pm »

I voted bad because I've yet to encounter a smelly candle that didn't smell bad. And the only other reason to use them is a power outtage which is obviously bad.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Candles
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 12:08:46 am »

I do not believe in setting things on fire inside of my house.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Candles
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 12:10:13 am »

Basically their mojito smells like a midwestern grey-haired matron's (who collects Precious Moments figurines and makes her children sign the purity pledge for marriage) idea of what a mojito might smell like.

And CJ, I fuck*ng hate most candles. For example, now my house smells like a fuck*ng White Barn Candle Co. because I burned one of my evil Partylite candles. I swear to god, I'm going to throw them away. I hate being in a mall and walking past Illuminations or the Yankee Candle Shoppe because it's like an instant migrane.  the Pacifica candles are lightly scented, they have an amazingly well-balanced fragrance, and they just smell amazing.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Candles
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 12:16:00 am »

Following good things about candles (barring things like 'give off light'):

-Look pretty good
-Can be good for your ears (that article ain't too nice about them but they are way fun to use)
-Work in any place you can make a fire
-Sometimes can smell nice
-Can be sensual and relaxing (read: sexy)

Bad things:
-Might set things on fire

So, I voted good, despite the bad reason outweighing almost everything put together in the good list. Eh, I just like them.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Candles
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 12:28:21 am »

My mother has a house filled with 2 things: Plants and Candles.  She talks to both (seriously).

So basically I have inherited her fetish for Candles since most plants I tend to kill.

So despite what this is going to say about me, um, Yankee Candle's Autumn Lodge was basically one of the best scents in the world, but they've discontinued it.

I once got this no-name brand melon candle that smelled basically like treasure as well.  Other than that I'm not a candle snob.  I just like fire?  Or something.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Candles
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 12:31:35 am »

I voted bad because I've yet to encounter a smelly candle that didn't smell bad. And the only other reason to use them is a power outtage which is obviously bad.

Yeah, but what's better in a power outage: having a candle, or being in the dark because you don't have a candle?

Of course, there's always option C, wicked awesome kerosene lamps, but they strike me as functionally similar to candles in this regard.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Candles
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 12:33:15 am »

I'm a big fan of fire, when it stays where it is supposed to.

Scented candles: not so much, since most fragrances cause allergic reactions for me.  However, there are a few that don't cause sinus distress, and those seem to be a far better way to change the ambiance in a room than anything made by Glade.  I have two large candles from Restoration Hardware because their cost was the same as the alarm clock I didn't want; they burned rather quicker than I expected, but still look nice on the side table and will be nice to have if the power goes out.

Patton Oswalt once said: "I bought a candle labled as 'clean cotton.'  I burn it in hotel rooms, which normally smell of 'lonesome trucker.' "
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Candles
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 12:33:54 am »

HAY GUYS I'M RETARDED.  I totally thought this said "candies" when I voted in the affirmative.  "Oh hell yes I like candy!"

I have no opinion whatever about candles.  Carry on.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Candles
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 01:41:03 am »

I like candles in principle but cannot leave them burning. My main lady loves candles and will happily go to sleep with them lit, I do not understand how she can live in this manner.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Candles
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 01:41:33 am »


-Can be sensual and relaxing (read: sexy)


See, I have never understood how you are supposed to relax and feel sensual when you have to pay attention to whether the house is going to catch on fire.  The connection between candles and sexiness completely bewilders me.

And as for power failures, I highly recommend flashlights.

Now candies on the other hand, that is a different story.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Candles
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 01:47:01 am »

I like candles in principle but cannot leave them burning. My main lady loves candles and will happily go to sleep with them lit, I do not understand how she can live in this manner.

Eeek, she might not live that way for very long.  Seriously, people die that way.

I also meant to mention that for a few years, I lived one town south of where the Yankee Candle factory is. However this had no effect on my lifelong opinion of candles.  I did once take some visiting relatives there - their factory shop is a big tourist attraction - and bought a sale candle in a nice Asian sounding flavor with ginger and something in it.  I think it has been around the house for ten or fifteen years now without ever being lit.

Also: Jack O'Lanterns.  Only application where candles MUST be used.  But these are outdoors, of course.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Candles
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 03:05:14 am »

Now candies on the other hand, that is a different story.

SEE, EVERYONE LIKES CANDIES.

I also meant to mention that for a few years, I lived one town south of where the Yankee Candle factory is. However this had no effect on my lifelong opinion of candles.  I did once take some visiting relatives there - their factory shop is a big tourist attraction - and bought a sale candle in a nice Asian sounding flavor with ginger and something in it.  I think it has been around the house for ten or fifteen years now without ever being lit.

FUN FACT: That town is where my paternal ancestors first settled (some time in the very early seventeenth century) in the ol' US of A.  Plus, I will be staying at the super-swanky Red Roof Inn just down the road from that factory in a few weeks, when I move back into the dorms at Smith.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Candles
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 03:18:43 am »

Somewhere, someone in my family got a candle warmer for the smells combined with safety. It kind of melts the thing and reconsolidates it, but man, what in the world. I had a friend whose house burned down due to careless candles (not the sort in the glass cases). The firefighters said that it was pretty common. I like the stovetop idea.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up