Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood It's National Johnny Cash Raise Hell Awareness Saturday Night. Go out and Fuck Shit Up in a Way That You Believe In!

Poll

Candles: good or bad?

Good!
Bad!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Candles  (Read 6372 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Candles
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006, 03:41:25 am »

I'm all the way onboard for candles.

We have a candle room that is only lit by candles when you're in it.   It's all the way optimal!

(There's also a fire extinguisher in the room in case all that awesome gets out of hand.)
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Candles
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006, 02:36:42 pm »

I think having a fire extinguisher in the room would make me complacent, like a candle fell over and the curtains or something caught fire and I'd think 'Wow that looks so cool, I'll just watch it for a while, after all I've got the fire extinguisher.'
I would still be thinking this as the burning roof collapsed on my smile of wonderment.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Candles
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 07:46:49 pm »

Take a big shiny metal bowl, like you would mix cookie batter in. Put maybe half an inch of water in the bottom. Stand up a candle in it and light it. The light will be reflected up at the ceiling (which if you have a low white ceiling is pretty desirable) and will also shift in nice ways every time there is a faint breeze. You can fall asleep with this candle rig going because if there is an earthquake and the candle falls over, it will fall into half an inch of water and go out, or at worst it will land on the side of the bowl and scorch it and you'll have to clean the bowl before you make cookies again. If you don't want upwards-pointing light, use the same rig but with a glass bowl instead. The point is that the bowl is tall and wide enough that the candle cannot possibly fall out of it.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Candles
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2006, 10:13:58 pm »

Ben-san has given us Candela Populi!
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Candles
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2006, 10:42:02 pm »

Ben, that is straight-up genius, right there. Ray would hire you in a second.

Everyday Candle Solutions For The Man On The Go

(Can't believe I missed out the 'On the go' bit first time round. That bit is essential.)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 11:18:22 pm by JudyIsADickSlap »
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Candles
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2006, 11:16:42 pm »

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen someone with candles lit in their car while they were driving.

WE MUST GET A MOVE ON THIS MOBILE CANDLE MARKET

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Candles
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2006, 03:51:22 am »

It is so much classier to hotbox a car with a candle in a jar than sandalwood incense.

EDIT: Why has it taken me so long to get to 360 posts?

EDIT2: I live right next to a park, and I only have one window that opens despite my $1,100 rent check paid every month for a shitty one bedroom. There are a bunch of 8 year olds playing soccer and they have positioned a boombox playing Eminem or some bullshit almost directly beneath my window. I wish I had a flamethrower, but then I would go to jail.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 03:59:11 am by linnea »
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Candles
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2006, 05:10:26 am »

dude, it is not Eminem. He's a thing old people complained about when I was 10.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Candles
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2006, 06:01:13 am »

dude, it is not Eminem. He's a thing old people complained about when I was 12.


« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 08:53:37 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Candles
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2006, 03:07:02 pm »

Dude, it is not Eminem. He's a thing I complained about when I was 22.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Candles
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2006, 01:44:54 am »

The children are doing it again. They are playing loud music in the park. I am on call and cannot unwind with a beer. I have to go teach a knitting class now. Someday my ears will be avenged when I can live in a totally quiet place with no interruptions.

Oh yes, dessert. I still can't find daifuku on this island. The only places I've found on the intarwub are still the ones that charge $40 for shipping to rural Alaska. I am carrying around a wrapper in my purse in the hopes of presenting it to a grocer and them ordering what I want. We will see if this actually happens.

Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Candles
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2006, 06:54:41 am »

why don't you ask a friend in Hawaii to find some for you?
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Candles
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2006, 02:48:33 pm »

AD: :) Feel like shipping some up here? I can paypal you some money.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Candles
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2006, 09:27:04 pm »

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen someone with candles lit in their car while they were driving.

I wish I had a picture of the artcar from a few years ago that had a candelabra on it.  It was covered with candles.

Candles are nice, but mostly smell pretty obnoxious.  Can you even get unscented candles?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
Re: Candles
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2006, 11:22:53 pm »

candle pros:

give off nice light
good for power outages
make everyone look sexy

candle cons:

start fires
smell like a potpourri factory fart
strange women collect them like they collect porcelain figurines and small rat-like dogs
dumb gift shop factor
waste of perfectly good wax that could be used to make tasty wax chewing gum lips
gets wax on carpet, upholstery, clothes, pets

verdict:

the only good candles are roman candles.

Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up