Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Quality jacket that doesn't make me look like an asshole?  (Read 10473 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Quality jacket that doesn't make me look like an asshole?
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2006, 12:57:47 pm »

I love how this thread has turned into "tell theinevitable how to do drugs successfully."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Quality jacket that doesn't make me look like an asshole?
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2006, 01:23:22 pm »

Sorry, one more thing.  If you are like me, 4 out of 5 of your meals will be cereal.  If the milk is possibly bad, do not risk it.  Seriously, just let it go.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Quality jacket that doesn't make me look like an asshole?
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2006, 03:10:30 pm »

Huh. My parents actually made me get a credit card before I went so that I could establish good credit early. As long as you make only 1-2 purchases a month and pay it off in full then you're golden.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Quality jacket that doesn't make me look like an asshole?
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2006, 09:01:31 pm »

Huh. My parents actually made me get a credit card before I went so that I could establish good credit early. As long as you make only 1-2 purchases a month and pay it off in full then you're golden.

Yeah, same here. Cautious use of a credit card is to your benefit; I have an acquaintance who had a hell of a time renting an apartment after college because he had no credit rating at all, and in many cases that's as suspicious as bad credit. That, and trust me, there will be time when you need to purchase something immediately and don't have the cash on you. Only avoid a credit card if you're a total impulse shopper, but if you're capable of using a credit card carefully and paying it off in full every month, it's a good idea.
Logged

kellichou

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 90
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 87
    • View Profile
Re: Quality jacket that doesn't make me look like an asshole?
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2006, 03:30:02 pm »

The Gravity Inversion Bong brings to mind another phenomenon.  I think it was called scuba diving???  Basically it involved inhaling a hit, holding one's nose then exhaling as if to pop one's eardrums, thus blowing the smoke into the eustachian canals.  Said canals are assumably full of mucous membranes and tiny little capillaries, thus providing vast new surfaces for absorbtion of intoxicating substances.

Heh.

Jesus, sounds like a great way to get an ear or sinus infection! 

Although a friend (we called him MacGyver due to his awesome building skills) created a hella-cool scuba mask apparatus.  My only mistake was opening my eyes in the middle of it.  I thought I would die.  But it was very, very cool.  Someone else had to "operate" the bowl for the mask-wearer.  He also created a beautiful vaporizer out of a variable temp soldering iron and some other odds 'n' ends.  Whatta guy!
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Quality jacket that doesn't make me look like an asshole?
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2006, 04:00:02 pm »

Although a friend (we called him MacGyver due to his awesome building skills) created a hella-cool scuba mask apparatus.  My only mistake was opening my eyes in the middle of it.  I thought I would die.  But it was very, very cool.  Someone else had to "operate" the bowl for the mask-wearer.  He also created a beautiful vaporizer out of a variable temp soldering iron and some other odds 'n' ends.  Whatta guy!

Let's not forget the high-tech, probably-toxic use of a crushed soda can.  Taste those chemical dyes!
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Quality jacket that doesn't make me look like an asshole?
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2006, 08:37:34 pm »

so, Q, did your navy pea-coat cost 130$? I was not sure whether this was a reasonable price, so I told them "I'll come back tommorow."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Quality jacket that doesn't make me look like an asshole?
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2006, 10:13:26 pm »

Yea, totally get em used and broken in.   They're pretty rugged, so used isn't too scary.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-US-NAVY-PEA-P-Coat-Men-38-Short-38S-Peacoat_W0QQitemZ190018477581QQihZ009QQcategoryZ57988QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or for Pinache...

http://cgi.ebay.com/East-German-Navy-Uniform-Enlisted-P-Coat-Tunic-Jacket_W0QQitemZ300017502006QQihZ020QQcategoryZ135QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have a East German full length overcoat I wear when the winters get bad enough.  It's thick and it lacks lining... but man, it's like hugging the SUN.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Quality jacket that doesn't make me look like an asshole?
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2006, 01:11:05 am »

Forgot to mention: never put ice in a glass bong.

I disagree completely.  If it's large enough to get ice into the chamber and floating, then nothing can go wrong.  If it backs up into the stem, then the stem might eventually get resiny and smell nasty.  But other then that, ice that fucker up, I say.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Quality jacket that doesn't make me look like an asshole?
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2006, 01:10:12 pm »

Ice can crack a glass bong, destroying it for good. I'm all for ice, but only in plastic or porcelain. Snow, though, is the best filter of all.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Quality jacket that doesn't make me look like an asshole?
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2006, 01:20:12 pm »

WELCOME TO OUR NEW VISITORS FROM THE DEA!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Quality jacket that doesn't make me look like an asshole?
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2006, 05:28:17 pm »

Yeah, tell your mom not to worry about the peacoat.  You can tell her you know a girl in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada that wore one for so many winters that it fell apart.  One suggestion, since you haven't bought it yet, remember to try it on with something fairly bulky underneath like a sweater or hoody or something.  As long as you can wear layers under the coat if it gets unseasonably cold you should be fine. 

Also, I majorly agree with those suggesting you get it used.  As far as I'm concerned anything over $75 is highway robbery.  There are always tons of peacoats at used clothing places that are in great condition - basically old men who take meticulous care of their clothing, they die, and you win.  You'll probably be much more likely to find a good one where you're going to though, so why not wait until you get there?  ... other than that your mom has mocked you for wanting to do this to match your peers.

Having worked for Mastercard for several years, I definitly agree with the people suggesting you get a credit card and use it only a small amount and pay it off everytime it comes due.  But only, only, do this if you know you will not surrender to temptation.  If there is even the slightest chance you are the sort to surrender to tempation, you might want to get the card, but leave it at home with your parents and only use it when you're at home and otherwise financially supported.

Other things you might want in your dorm:

A small fridge.  If you have room and are allow to.  They make really small ones these days, and it's always nice to be able to keep some fruit and drinks in your room.  If you get one with a tiny little freezer compartment, even better.

A signifiantly larger amount of socks and undies than you think you will need.  You will be surprised at how rarely you have time for laundry, and depending on the facilities, you may find that the rare time you do find to do laundry is the same time as when everyone else has decided to do their laundry too.

A good set of ear plugs.  Seriously.  If you can block out the noise of the world, you can study or sleep just about anywhere.

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

PopeUrban

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 11
  • vegetarian sXe/hXc
    • View Profile
Re: Quality jacket that doesn't make me look like an asshole?
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2006, 05:34:05 pm »

Haha, you're all so crazy.  I can't (and can) wait for college, because it sounds really fun (if not drug-filled blegh).  One last year in highschool and it's out to college, just...you know...gotta apply to one first XD.

As far as weatherproof wear goes, I suggest long john's, then normal clothes and a sweatshirt.  That seems to work really well for me in Central Minnesota, but if that's not working, try adding a hat to the equation.

Of course, you're already getting the coat, so I just suggest long john's.  They haven't failed me yet (in the city).  It's awesome to be the only person walking around, and totally warm,  laughing at people in cars.  Hehe, gas prices.
Logged
http://visualresistance.org/wordpress/ghostbikes

Has anyone commented on the phrase "dump factory" yet? Because, wow. Best euphemism for the intestines ever.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Quality jacket that doesn't make me look like an asshole?
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2006, 06:13:30 pm »

Many colleges now offer the option of renting a micro-fridge (a small fridge with a small microwave bolted to the top) that's already in the room when you show up and gets removed after you leave. This was hell of handy for beverages and Easy Mac and the like.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Quality jacket that doesn't make me look like an asshole?
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2006, 07:58:47 pm »

my roommate has a fridge and a microwave.

I am bringing earplugs.

I have a credit card in my name "for emergencies" which I end up using like once a month. Usually in the circumstance "hey, mum, I left my cash at home. can I use the card and pay you back when I get home?" Will this work, or does it need to be billed to me?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up