Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: sushi  (Read 9620 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: sushi
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 11:12:52 pm »

Whoever decided to put cucumber into sushi should be punched in the throat.

I'm pretty sure that would be the Japanese, Cort. IIRC, kappazushi (the strictly cucumber-based kind) is fairly traditional, and my vegetarian sushi-loving friends all adore it. Maybe it is you who is the problem?

Not that I really have any room to talk, here. As neither a fan of cucumbers nor of sushi construction, I'm not exactly scarfing down the stuff all kappa-stylezz myself.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: sushi
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 11:16:41 pm »

The Japanese can do almost no wrong in my book, but I agree with Cort about cucumber in sushi.  And vegetarians eating sushi - oh, it's just too sad to think about. The poor things. Although the gourd rolls and pickle rolls are pretty good.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: sushi
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 11:35:08 pm »

I'm pretty sure that would be the Japanese, Cort. IIRC, kappazushi (the strictly cucumber-based kind) is fairly traditional, and my vegetarian sushi-loving friends all adore it. Maybe it is you who is the problem?

Not that I really have any room to talk, here. As neither a fan of cucumbers nor of sushi construction, I'm not exactly scarfing down the stuff all kappa-stylezz myself.

I'll be dead and buried in the cold cold ground before I recognize cucumber as food.
Logged

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: sushi
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2006, 12:46:42 am »

The Japanese can do almost no wrong in my book.

Have you watched a cartoon lately? 
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: sushi
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2006, 01:28:43 am »

No, I choose to remain blissfully ignorant.  But have you watched a Japanese game show lately?  Now there's an art form.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: sushi
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2006, 02:57:09 am »

It's awfully funny to watch you coast dwellers complaining about the quality of the seafood you're able to get.  My heart bleeds for you, really.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: sushi
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2006, 05:06:37 am »

Crappie and bass maybe, but I'm not eating any bottom dwellers (i.e. catgiraffe) raw.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: sushi
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2006, 05:14:55 am »

Sorry for the confusion regarding "sea bacon", it's just a "pet name" for eel. One of my best friends back home invented the phrase "sea bacon" to describe eel. He thought he would hate it, but eel is now his favorite thing on earth. Since he has pretty standard American tastes, the only item that he could imagine to compare to eel's delicious savoryness was bacon. Hence, sea bacon.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: sushi
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2006, 07:13:57 am »

Crappie and bass maybe, but I'm not eating any bottom dwellers (i.e. catgiraffe) raw.

Shrimp or crab or lobster either.

Also, the grocery stores all sell poke and sashimi and many kinds of sushi in the deli. There is a little sushi chef guy there making it.

We like eating at the Hawaii outlets of Genki Sushi whenever we can. The sushi goes around on a conveyor belt hell of Asian stylezz.
Logged

Pimp_skitters

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 75
    • View Profile
Re: sushi
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2006, 04:35:54 am »

[Post deleted = I didn't realise it would offend]
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 08:15:50 am by Pimp_skitters »
Logged
Not often here.
  I'm currently pursuing more face to face interactions from now on, but feel free to PM me.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: sushi
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2006, 07:57:49 am »

Man, can we have less Dokuro-chan in the future? I'm not going to take the mod hatchet to that, but have some freaking dignity. Let us talk only of good products of Japan, or at least appetite-inducing ones.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: sushi
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2006, 12:31:44 pm »

Speaking of japan and dignity..... well ok not.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: sushi
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2006, 07:06:54 pm »

AD - that place looks hella awesome.  I love their little logo guy.  I bet you get basically the best damn sushi outside Japan where you live, and was wondering when you'd post about it.  Do the Aloha Pups eat sushi? I bet they do.

And to everyone else... fuck you.  Now I want more sushi.  Now I want it now! 

FYI I went to the only sushi place within walking distance recently, and it was sooo bad people.  So bad.  And expensive.  From the decor, I could tell it used to be a fancy place that has gone badly downhill (you know with nice paintings on the wall that are both waterstained and sunfaded?), but still continues to charge as if it is still fancy. 

Now that I've become adventurous in my sushi eating, it has gone from the thing that is cheap and nice, to the thing that is horrifically expensive, but impossible to resist.  Am I going to have to start selling my body for sushi?  WTF?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: sushi
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2006, 12:45:52 am »

The girls like to go to Genki Sushi but they are still more into eating bowls of edamame and karaage chicken. And kappa rolls. They have probably 15 or more vegeterian sushi selections there so it's a good place to take almost anyone.

They had crabclaw sushi last Friday. I'd never seen that before and it was really good.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 11:29:30 pm by AlohaDawg »
Logged

kellichou

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 90
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 87
    • View Profile
Re: sushi
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2006, 02:10:01 am »

Ghod, ceviche is so goddamned delicious!  I had no idea that -40 F would kill the halibut parasites! 

I also shy away from most raw salmon because of the parasite risk.  AND I also agree with my twin about "sea bacon"--damn fine stuff.  <cue Homer Simpson gurgling>

Despite my morbid fear of salmon parasites, I cannot control my deep, abiding love for nova scotia salmon (or lox, but I hear that here in Colorado we don't really get real lox, because it's so perishable and all).  MMMM!  And I don't think the nova scotia salmon or lox is really cooked.  But it is fuck*ng delicious.  Especially with capers, cream cheese, & a toasted NY bagel (a regular sized one, not one of those doughy, oversized monstrosities).

Here in my town, we often eat halibut ceviche. It's delicious, but it's made with raw halibut that's been soaked in lemon or lime juice. it's the juice that makes it look "cooked" and opaque white. To meet health food inspector guidelines, the halibut must be frozen first in a commercial freezer at -40 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 15 hours. Then it is thawed and prepared into ceviche. This kills any parasites living in the giraffe.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up