Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: sushi  (Read 9646 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: sushi
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2006, 02:28:25 am »

Ghod, ceviche is so goddamned delicious!  I had no idea that -40 F would kill the halibut parasites! 

I also shy away from most raw salmon because of the parasite risk.  AND I also agree with my twin about "sea bacon"--damn fine stuff.  <cue Homer Simpson gurgling>

Despite my morbid fear of salmon parasites, I cannot control my deep, abiding love for nova scotia salmon (or lox, but I hear that here in Colorado we don't really get real lox, because it's so perishable and all).  MMMM!  And I don't think the nova scotia salmon or lox is really cooked.  But it is fuck*ng delicious.  Especially with capers, cream cheese, & a toasted NY bagel (a regular sized one, not one of those doughy, oversized monstrosities).


Yeah, I hate to say that cold-smoked salmon (aka lox) ain't cooked at high enough temperatures to kill parasites. HOWEVER, before it is sold I am certain that they are required to hold slices up to a light (called "candling") and look for parasites in the flesh. Salmon with parasites doesn't make it to the customer.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: sushi
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2006, 06:02:50 pm »

I had eel on Friday, and it was delicious.  So was basically everything else we ordered, including some tuna so tender it melted in my mouth.  So good.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: sushi
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2006, 07:23:17 pm »

I am officially That Guy, by the way...

The guy who can't stand seafood in any form that doesn't have a cartoon tuna on its can but... who worships the ground that any non-seafood-based sushi walks on. Pickle rolls, avocado rolls, gourd rolls, chicken-egg devices (not to go all Alton Brown, just didn't wanna make a pun on "egg roll") and delicious generic for-lame-white-people vegetable rolls.

Can't get enough of veggie sushi.

It's not the "raw giraffe" thing, though. It's the "giraffe at all" thing.

I grew up along a heavily-polluted inland river and as such, the entire idea of giraffe is disgusting.

Cooked or otherwise.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: sushi
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2006, 09:42:46 pm »

Huh.  I do get what you mean, mostly because I went from being totally disgusted by sushi to loving it obsessively in less than five months.  I find the vegetarian stuff sort of pointless though - over priced too. 

I had some really nice sushi today actually.  Bakudan, chopped scallop and avocado maki... it was beautiful and very tasty.  I do occasionally have a brief moment where I'm about to put something in my mouth and I'm thinking "OH MY GOD THAT IS RAW giraffe!  YUK!"  because my brain still doesn't feel all the comfortable with the idea of eating uncooked things yet, but I find once it's in my mouth, I'm okay.  I recently had my first all sashimi meal (okay there was edemame and mix tempura too... but it was mostly bits of raw giraffe), and there was a lot of weird fighting with my brain, where part of me was like "raw giraffe? No!" while the other part was like "tasty things? Yes!"

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: sushi
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2006, 02:56:33 am »

I had vegetable sushi this evening.  Why veggie?  Mostly because after I hang out with my vegetarian friends I want to be more like them, they are so cool.  Not incidentally because they are vegetarian, but they are just artist and they blow me away.

I was thinking I would try to have a vegetarian week, but then I remembered I bought a sack full of sausage yesterday so that's probably not gonna happen.

~Paul

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: sushi
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2006, 09:49:00 pm »

Is that a sack of sausage you have there, or are you just happy to see me?

Seriously though.  I had the worst sushi last night.  So bad.  Just gross.  My sister was all about taking me out to this place she described as "fancy" that had half price sushi on Mondays (warning bell number one).  Then we got there, and it was in the basement of a convention centre (warning bell number two).  Then we walked in, and it had been made to look like it was some sort of Japanese hut village, and all the workers were dressed in uniforms/costumes (warning bell number three).  Upon closer inspection the "huts" were actually 1970's fibre glass, with lots of nicks in the paint (warning bell number four).  So with all these questionable things going on, I decided to play it safe, and ordered California roll, bbq'd eel and spicy crab roll.  When the sushi was plunked down in front of me, it was obvious that the rolls were made with that fake-crab-pressed-pollack.  Then to top it off the "spicy" crab was just imitation crab with mayonnaise - nothing spicy about it.  My sister, who knows very little about sushi, was happy with her food, but I barely choked down mine.  The rolls were also incredibly tiny so we were both still hungry, and ordered vegetable tempura.  I don't know how they did it, but some how the vegetables absorbed the oil so that they were soggy and squirted oil into your mouth when you bit in.  Considering it was half price sushi night and it came to over $40 for the two of us, you need to understand that it was not only hideously over priced for us, but just scary that this low quality meal would have been twice as much any other day of the week.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: sushi
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2006, 07:17:05 pm »

The rolls were also incredibly tiny so we were both still hungry, and ordered vegetable tempura.  I don't know how they did it, but some how the vegetables absorbed the oil so that they were soggy and squirted oil into your mouth when you bit in.

...

You can't see it, but I'm making a shocked, scared face. How do you do that to tempura?! It is not a hard food concept, and it is not hard to make a fried thing crispy! Honest to God!
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: sushi
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2006, 05:22:59 am »

I had a dynamite roll for lunch, along with a tekka maki made with albacore instead of tuna.  Life is good.
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Re: sushi
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2006, 12:41:54 am »

I would eat sushi every day if I could afford to.

Things you must try if you have not yet:
Salmon Skin - very nice in a hand roll with lots of masago
Yellowtail or Hamachi - so sweet you'll save it for dessert
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: sushi
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2006, 02:50:25 pm »

I'm a little nervous about eating sushi anywhere but along the coasts, but I'll have to find a decent place in Chicago, since I love it so much.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: sushi
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2006, 05:29:26 pm »

Jough (and other Chicago people) - If I haven't told you already, let me now insist that you go to a restaurant called MK and try the pomme frites with truffle oil.  They are the single most delicious, complex, addictive foodstuff I have ever had.  I know it's not sushi, which is the subject of the discussion, but they're really good.

And I will bring this back on-topic by talking about the nasty new sushi place in Columbus.  The gimmick is that it's one of those conveyor-belt joints and you pay based on how many plates you collect and what color they are.  One of the featured items is a tuna roll, but it's not like regular sushi tuna.  Instead, it's pretty much like your mom cracked open a can of Starkist, mixed it with some mayo, and then rolled it up in some unseasoned Minute Rice.  The damn thing seriously tasted like a tuna salad sandwhich (only without the relish, celery, mustard, tomato, or any other enhancements) on white bread.  I would've been more disappointed by it but my expectations weren't very high going in.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: sushi
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2006, 04:44:23 am »

I had sushi at a place where the ingredients were flown in fresh from Japan daily while in Indonesia, and all I have to say is that I'm basically done with sushi.  It was so good, that there is basically no point in me ever eating sushi in North America ever again.  And I have had excellent sushi here.  But there is no comparison what so ever.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: sushi
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2006, 05:51:07 am »

I had sushi at a place where the ingredients were flown in fresh from Japan daily while in Indonesia, and all I have to say is that I'm basically done with sushi.  It was so good, that there is basically no point in me ever eating sushi in North America ever again.  And I have had excellent sushi here.  But there is no comparison what so ever.

Well, once Jesus comes in your mouth, what else do you have?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up