Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: basically just eggs I guess  (Read 16794 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

kellichou

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 90
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 87
    • View Profile
Re: basically just eggs I guess
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2007, 08:01:22 pm »

1) My grandpa smoked a pipe, and everytime he used a match to light it, it would be my responsibility to blow out the match.  2) My grandma would always make me soft boiled eggs and toast for breakfast, and she'd slice the toast into strips about an inch wide and as long as the piece of bread was.  She called these "les soldat."  I knew this meant that they were solidiers, but never connected this with the fact they'd lived through WWII, until adulthood.  Strange.

Oh my God, soldiers & dippy eggs!  Ever since I was a kid, and read about soldiers w/ dippy eggs, I wished my family were a soft-boiled egg sort.  Alas, they are not.  <snif> your grandparents sound like the most awesome people EVER.  Especially the grandchild's-"job"-to-blow-out-the-match.  So cuuute!
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: basically just eggs I guess
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2007, 09:42:05 pm »

Oh my God, soldiers & dippy eggs!  Ever since I was a kid, and read about soldiers w/ dippy eggs, I wished my family were a soft-boiled egg sort.  Alas, they are not.  <snif> your grandparents sound like the most awesome people EVER.  Especially the grandchild's-"job"-to-blow-out-the-match.  So cuuute!

Just as I hate gin, I cannot abide soft eggs. Sorry Wombie, I just can't do it. Proof that identical twins don't always like the same things.

Side note: One of Kellichou's favorite things is to cry out, "Yer no Wombie of miiiine!" when it is revealed that I don't like something that she LOVES, such as gin and tonics, gin martinis, green olives, soft boiled eggs, the list goes on ;) Also, as mentioned before, we're twins, and wombie is shorthand for "womb-mate"...it's not a reference to Wombat on this board.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: basically just eggs I guess
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2007, 10:19:59 pm »

I love gin, and soft eggs - perhaps you're not the other twin at all  linnea!  Do.  Do. Dooooo!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: basically just eggs I guess
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2007, 11:10:54 pm »

I think one time I had gin? It was OK. It might have been... blue vodka?

Also, soft boiled eggs are Amazing. I loved them as a kid, and then my mom got all wigged out about salmonella and shit. SOO GOOD.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: basically just eggs I guess
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2007, 12:03:18 am »

I made fromelettes this morning. Firefox's spellcheck knows that word, apparently.

Basically you crack two eggs straight into an omelet pan and stir the fuck out of 'em. Once they start to set, make sure there aren't any holes amongst your eggy goodness, and stop touching it; then flip it after a minute and leave it for a minute, then fold it out of the pan onto a plate. The only fillings you need are good salt and fresh cracked pepper.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: basically just eggs I guess
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2007, 04:07:51 am »

I used to hate hate hate soft anything eggs until a few years ago when I discovered the joy of dipping crunchy (but not burnt) toast into runny egg yolk with my fried eggs.
Still can't abide boiled eggs though, just kind of bleh.
This took me a while to discover becuase I have a near-autistic revulsion about having soggy stuff on my toast/bread, can't stand it. But if it is dipped and consumed Immediately then that is OK. And tasty.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: basically just eggs I guess
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2007, 12:51:27 pm »

I, for some reason, haven't had a soft boiled egg in years. Some time I must.

As for the last thing, I did Chinese egg pancake thingies (official name). Couple or three eggs beaten, sesame oil and soy sauce added, then some finely julienned scallions, and then fry them lightly into pancakes, and top with a little more sesame oil. Serve with a nice fresh bread. Damned good it is.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: basically just eggs I guess
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2007, 06:09:49 pm »

I curse you all! We are out of eggs, and I'm starving!

As punishment, my Dissertation on the Egg:

I love soft-cooked eggs. Truly, the combination of crispy, thick toast with butter, and gooey golden yolk is proof that there is a God, and He loves to eat. My mom used to make me a poached egg and toast whenever I was down sick with the flu, and so I guess it's got a strong association with comfort and nurturing for me. Also, I tend to go hypoglycemic a lot and when my blood sugar tanks to the point where the very thought of food makes me barf, about the only thing that I can tolerate is a scrambled-egg sandwich on whole-wheat bread with mayo (real mayo, not that horrible abomination known as Miracle Whip *shudder*). Again, eggs=comfort in my mind.

I will eat eggs in almost any form, although I prefer soft-cooked to hard. About the only way I can eat hard-cooked eggs is if they're hard-boiled or scrambled/in an omelette or fritatta. And of course, the wonderful bliss that is quiche: spinach, high-quality bacon, gruyere, caramelized onion... *sigh* 'Tis divine. I will, however, only eat free-range organic eggs. I definitely notice a taste difference, and for some reason I feel really very sad when I'm at the store and I see the rows upon rows of commercial eggs; I just envision thousands of depressed chickens crammed into tiny cages, made to just lay and lay and lay. Then I look at the rows of free-range eggs and I see these happy chickens with shiny healthy feathers, clucking with satisfaction and scratching away for free-range grubs. The contrast in my mind, and the resulting emotional response, is dramatic, and the free-range eggs make it into my shopping cart despite the extra expense. Worth it in my view. Better yet is when the farmer's market is on. Now those are some eggs.

A fritatta is a common dinner at our house; generally something we call "Hakuna Fritatta" because it consists of eggs and whatever leftover veggies and meat are in our fridge. It's a good way to get rid of that kind of stuff and still have a relatively healthy meal.

Speaking of health, I thought eggs were decreed to be of the "good" kind of cholesterol? Maybe I was misinformed. It's a shame to not be able to eat them. For those who have been advised to steer clear of eggs for health reasons, my heart goes out to you, truly.

I eat poached eggs quite often, typically for breakfast before a long day of rehearsal. The protein gets me through the day and the work, and being poached, they are relatively low-fat. Just a pinch of fleur de sel and a slice of moderately-buttered whole-wheat toast (but real butter, mind you, unsalted), and I've got an awesome breakfast.

Helpful tips!

You can tell if an egg is fresh by putting it in a bowl of cold water. A fresh egg will sink to the bottom and lie on its side. As the egg gets older, it will be progressively more buoyant, although it should still be edible unless it is completely floating. You'll notice a slight difference in taste relative to the degree to which the egg is buoyant, but unless it's very buoyant or floating completely, you needn't worry about eating a bad egg. Some rules of thumb to guide you: 1. the more buoyant your egg is, the longer you should cook it, just to be safe; 2. "when in doubt, throw out." Hope that helps. :-)

Oh, also, a simple yet tasty egg recipe, similar to slink's Chinese egg pancake thingy. I got this recipe from a dancer friend of mine and she calls them "Dirty Commie (Kami) Bastards":

Scramble some eggs; while they're scrambling, add soy sauce to taste (the recipe was invented using Kami--or Kame?--brand soy sauce, hence the name). When done, top with chopped scallion and a sprinkle of grated parmesan or romano cheese.

Oh, another thing: I always referred to what we are now I guess calling "Titty eggs" as either Toad in the Hole or a Camel's Eye. Or am I confusing this with something else?

Let us not forget that soldiers and dippy eggs figure prominently in this fine educational program.

I don't know how easy chickens are to raise, but I do know that people raise them here, right in the city (I live in a city of about a quarter-million people that is relatively cosmopolitan for its size). I have seen little cages with one or two chickens in them in peoples' backyards right in the city. So I guess they can't be too high-maintenance.

And finally:

Asherdan, can for "Proto-chicken." And Choop, can because I find your culinary sagesse attractive. ;)

Thank you for listening to my Dissertation on The Egg. I will now go to the store to buy some.




Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

kellichou

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 90
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 87
    • View Profile
Re: basically just eggs I guess
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2007, 08:05:21 pm »

And don't forget saag!  Such tasty goodness. . .   :-*

But on the Flip Side, what are some things that you, Linnea, LOVE that I haaate?  There's gotta be some!  :) 

But yes, I echo the other posters who love the eggy goodness of soft-cooked and/or poached, sunny-side up, etc. eggs.  MMM.  I really love the Egg-Land's Best eggs, because their hens are fed a vegetarian, no-antibiotics diet, and their eggs have less saturated fat and MORE vitamin E and Omega-3 fatty acids than other eggs.  Yesssss! 

And you UK folks, with your awesome eggs, all stamped with the crest of a Lion and a best before date.  YOUR hens are vaccinated against Salmonella!  Brilliant!  Too bad the FDA isn't as proactive.  :(  But mostly I want a lion stamp on my eggs.

I'll probably get the beat-down for saying this, but I've been really disappointed with the quality of free-range eggs (and Lord knows I've tried to love them--who doesn't like the idea of happy, scrappy chickens runnin' around??).  Every time I get a box of them, a ridiculously high percentage of them are bad--blood spots on the yolk, weird floaties in the white that look suspicioiusly like bacterial colonies (and they're NOT chalazae, I know what THOSE look like), etc.  EW! 

Just as I hate gin, I cannot abide soft eggs. Sorry Wombie, I just can't do it. Proof that identical twins don't always like the same things.

Side note: One of Kellichou's favorite things is to cry out, "Yer no Wombie of miiiine!" when it is revealed that I don't like something that she LOVES, such as gin and tonics, gin martinis, green olives, soft boiled eggs, the list goes on ;) Also, as mentioned before, we're twins, and wombie is shorthand for "womb-mate"...it's not a reference to Wombat on this board.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: basically just eggs I guess
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2007, 08:28:23 pm »

I guess I should admit it: I basically only eat eggs scrambled or in scrambled-like configurations (omelettes, oyakodon, quiche, etc.). I don't know what it is about a non-homogeneous egg that makes me feel kinda uncomfortable -- in fact, I'm not sure if I've ever actually eaten a non-homogeneous egg, but since early childhood I've been one of those picky eaters who determines the suitability of food via mysterious cosmic emanations and thereafter cannot be swayed. I should probably ust get over it, but... why, when I can get eggs scrambled or scrambled-plus-delicious-things, and that satisfies all the desire for eggs I will ever have?

Random V-Adore Trivia: my maternal grandfather was an egg candler. How exactly he supported a family of eventually-eleven on an egg candler's salary may well be a family mystery until the end of time.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: basically just eggs I guess
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2007, 08:53:38 pm »

And you UK folks, with your awesome eggs, all stamped with the crest of a Lion and a best before date.  YOUR hens are vaccinated against Salmonella!  Brilliant!

Yea, but they're still awful.
I started buying eggs from this place that farms chickens free range locally, or even the cornfed chicken eggs we can get here, and they are infinitely better than the supermarket lion stamped eggs. They have flavour! OK, for things where the egg doesn't play a main role it is nice to have the crappy ones, but they're not worth it for anything where you're eating, well, eggs. I guess for tiramisu or anything with uncooked egg it's nice to know I'm not going to poison myself, but otherwise they just tend not to cut it.
That said, I have also had free range eggs that weren't any better than our supermarket eggs. The local ones and the cornfed ones (I think the cornfed might even be better than the local ones) are just way better than typical free range eggs.

Oh, and I'll admit, best before dates on eggs are a good thing. You really don't get that? That said, I don't actually trust them much, as when you get  to anywhere within a week or so of that date, they are already going to be seriously strange!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: basically just eggs I guess
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2007, 09:02:31 pm »

Here in the US we have the date stamped on the egg carton, not on the eggs themselves.

You know, you could just stamp your own eggs if you wanted, Kellichou. Find a stamp that pleases you and some non-toxic soy ink (eggshells are porous, after all), and when you get home from the market, decorate your eggs however you like, with a lion or a little unicorn or even a little delicate flower!
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: basically just eggs I guess
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2007, 10:32:00 pm »

decorate your eggs however you like, with a lion or a little unicorn

"He guards my hopes and dreams."
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: basically just eggs I guess
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2007, 02:07:01 am »

wow! Muse, that was a hell of an awesome dissertation on eggs. A+, would read again.

Kelli...oh man...I wish you hadn't said that about the eggs. I've noticed weird stuff going on in the organic eggs that I always buy...but I somehow rationalized it and ate the eggs anyway. How the fuck does a BLOOD SPOT or bacterial colony get inside an egg? DAMMIT! To my mind, eggs were this sealed little safety compartment and nothing bad is supposed to get in there!!! NOOO THE DREAM IS RUINED




..whew, I had to take a breath there. Kelli, I can't think of anything that I like that you hate! I HAAATE saag.  I love daifuku, you are also down with the tasty wagashi goodness. I love bubble tea, which you also like (our parents almost beat me for making them try some of my green tea milkshake with boba when I was 24...they were SOOO grossed out). I like snowboarding, but haven't gotten to go this season, but I am not sure if you are down with snowsports. Back to food, I love Marmite, but you also like that... Hmm. We both love Scotch, dry red wine, and beer. I hate ouzo, Jaegermeister, and anything black liquorice flavored. We both like anise pizzelles, though, and cottage cheese with or without jam added as our grandmother used to prepare (I remember being a really little kid, and my dad seeing us putting jam on cottage cheese, and he was really weirded out because his mother used to do that all the time, but she died before we were born. Our dad retold us that story as we got older). We both adore dulce de leche and ice cream. We love Chipotle burritos, but I hate barbacoa beef. We both like seafood and sushi. I don't eat baby animals (veal, lamb, etc.).  What do you hate, kelli? I can't think of anything that you don't like.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: basically just eggs I guess
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2007, 02:33:01 am »

Dissertation on the Egg

Can'd for Hakuna Fritata.
That is all.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up