I get what you're saying Bobby, and it's nice that you appreciate the guy for appearing to be genuine. I am just as enthusiastic of a geek as he was when it comes to certain things in my life. And this is probably why the few people who love me love me too.
True, I'm cynical about these things, and about life in general (depending on what day you get me on), but I don't think dismissing us cynics as "hipsters" (which is apparently an insult now?), is all that fair. I don't think it's all that idiotic to laugh at the death of a celebrty who has consistantly chosen to present himself as a cartoon - it seems like a pretty natural reaction. It was a natural reaction for me. I didn't think about it, then, like, chose to laugh. I was still in bed and being humped at the time, and I laughed.
Beyond my immediate reaction to laugh at the initial announcement, I've put careful thought into my own take on media manipulation over the years, and that I still find it funny, comes from a genuine place, from careful thought into what I value and discount in life - not something studied or crafted to suit some imaginary hip-quotent that I don't even consider when decided how I feel. What it boils down to is that I hate the cult of celebrity and the fact that every channel has been mourning this guys' death for days now, having constant updates, using it as the leader in every news break. Am I confused, or is there a war on? An AIDS crisis? A debate over issues like stem cell research, genetically modified food? Did all those real issues get solved on Saturday night and I just missed it? Canada had five soldiers die in Afghanistan on the day Irwin died, but guess who got the front page on both local papers? The ridiculous death of a person I did not know and who had no direct impact on my life (apart from spurring me to change the channel) is not important to me. It's laughable for me. It's a piffle spun into something way, way too large. I can't be convinced to care or be pulled into some media manufactured psychodrama.
When I die one day, if someone laughs at my stupid life (or even better, my stupid death), well that would be fantastic, but what is more likely to happen, what I would prefer to have happen is nothing. And all the better for it. I don't have a lot of sympathy for those who court celebrity. Creating an image, marketing yourself... that's the dark night of the soul to me. In my book, the choice to become a celebrity, to pursue fame, inevitably comes from a place of vanity. Me not trust pale face and face puller machine! Being in front of cameras, feeding directly into the image that sells - in take after take, shot after shot - is not something I place very low value to - humility and grace are traits I put so very much more weight on.
I'm certainly not accusing any of the pro-Steve camp of falling for manipulation, you're smart enough to know all this stuff I just ranted about, and still you like the guy, he made you laugh, maybe he even touched you as being the genuine article, he did stuff that you admire. I don't say you're wrong for your sweet hearted reasons. Or for taking simple pleasure in watching whatever T.V. show you care to watch. Me, I don't give a fuck. If Brad and Angelina and their United Nation of babies all crashed in the middle of the ocean, I'd feel just the same, which is basically nothing. And if how they died was funny in some way - say something involving drowning in UNICEF nickles on Halloween, then maybe I'd get a little chuckle out of that one too.
I guess there's a line you cross, a line where you either find the Darwin Awards funny or not. And there's also the line where you care about the life and times of the person on the cover of US this week or not. And for me, these lines have sort of tangled here. I have a lot of human compassion, and I think that shows in most of my posts, but when strangers die in silly, unexpected or ironic ways, I find it funny. I laugh. I mean, I'm not a huge fan of death or anything, but I don't really hold death all that sacrid either. I do find the confirmation that we are all stupid monkeys in the end, well, sort of a relief.
Or to sum it all up in a less rambling way: Bobby, is it okay if I make a joke if you're killed in a freak accident with a geometry set's isosceles triangle? Because I basically expect everyone to crack jokes if I am killed in some circus side show accident. It's basically required.