Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

So now we know who reads the News Box.  Hello Jaydub.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Not Dying!  (Read 35132 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2007, 08:34:21 pm »

I'm trying to lose weight
Best of luck, Paul.  My special lady is in the same boat, and she's working hard.  You've already had some spectacular results coming down from your starting weight though.  How tall are you?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2007, 09:22:03 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2007, 04:08:55 am »

I've been sleeping with the nicotine patch on.  Oh man, IS SO NOT GOOD.

The box says "May cause vivid dreams."   The first couple times, the dreams are quaint, sometimes funny.  "Oh man, I am in heaven, drinking Marlboro brand vodka!" or "Man this bag pipe I'm playing sounds messed up!"  Both real dreams.  The bagpipe dream woke me up.  It turns out the sound of the bag pipe was me snoring.  The bagpipe was the pillow I usually sleep with my arms around.  It had a plaid pillow case.   

After the first couple days, and this was my experience last time, the box should read "May haunt your non-waking moments, and cause you to wake up scared about the world."

3 times today the damn thing woke me up, and this was my experience last time.  I tend not to remember many dreams, but when I'm wearing the patch, after a few days the dreams all become cold-sweat, sit bolt upright, and yell "GAH!" inducing night terrors.

When I woke up for the third time, I ripped the patch off.   Eat it in the #####, patch dreams.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2007, 06:50:35 am »

I had a dream last night that I was caught in a horrible historic massacre. I was in an auditorium, and I knew that it was going to be a massacre, due to having learnt about it in History class. This also led me to know that I didn't die in the shooting. Incredibly vivid and upsetting sounds of crowds of people being shot at. Confusion. I survived the shooting (at one point I shamed myself by hiding behind a large man), but eventually the shooters singled me out as someone they didn't want to kill. lots of scary yelling and pointing. then I died/collapsed due to an odorless, colorless gas-- I went down thinking "at least it's over... at least I didn't get shot." Then I woke up.

what the fuck.

also: I meant to go on a bike-ride today, but I was all kinds of weird due to washing dishes for 4 hours, and I realized that it was too dark out. I didn't feel like putting on light clothes.
OK basically I was lazy, but my plan was to work out every other day, so, I guess I am doing OK. This is "in the works."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2007, 10:27:58 am »

I've been sleeping with the nicotine patch on.  Oh man, IS SO NOT GOOD.

The box says "May cause vivid dreams."   The first couple times, the dreams are quaint, sometimes funny.  "Oh man, I am in heaven, drinking Marlboro brand vodka!" or "Man this bag pipe I'm playing sounds messed up!"  Both real dreams.  The bagpipe dream woke me up.  It turns out the sound of the bag pipe was me snoring.  The bagpipe was the pillow I usually sleep with my arms around.  It had a plaid pillow case.   

After the first couple days, and this was my experience last time, the box should read "May haunt your non-waking moments, and cause you to wake up scared about the world."

3 times today the damn thing woke me up, and this was my experience last time.  I tend not to remember many dreams, but when I'm wearing the patch, after a few days the dreams all become cold-sweat, sit bolt upright, and yell "GAH!" inducing night terrors.

When I woke up for the third time, I ripped the patch off.   Eat it in the ******, patch dreams.

Jeeez...those sound like the kind of dreams that I've been having thanks to Seroquel for the past 4 years. I have intense problems with insomnia and so my doc prescribed it so that I can get more than 3 hours a night (compare this to my father, who never sleeps more than 3 to 4 hours a night and is crazier than a shithouse rat. Yeah, I'll take the Seroquel). I have to be careful taking it because it knocks me the hell out. Obviously I can't take it on the nights when I'm on call. The dreams are INSANE.  I worry about my neighbors because a few times a month I wake up screaming, except that I'm so heavily sedated that it just sounds like a very loud, "WHUUUUUUUUUUUNH". Not good times.

I was asleep in bed with my boyfriend once and I had a horrible dream that he had been slain next to me by some intruder and that the attacker was climbing on top of me. My frantic drugged-screaming and flailing in an attempt to push him off spurred my fella to yell my name and shake me until I woke up. "Jesus, Somebody nice, you were trying like hell to fight somebody off, are you okay?"

Also, theinev... there is a fantastic book by Sherman Alexie called "Flight" that you should REALLY read. My younger sister got me into Alexie and he's amazing. His character goes through some pretty intense alternate realities. It's great.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2007, 12:01:18 pm »

He's from the same area that I am.  Kinda neat in that it meant in the early 90's he came to our school a couple times and gave talks and read poetry.   

I totally should read his books.   I know the ladyfriend has a bunch of them.

I'm certainly done with drug dreams though.  I was kind of trying to stick them out, so that I could have the magic feather of "round the clock nicotine".   At this point though I don't even want to smoke.  I get the occasional "Raaaa NOW" but I don't think I'll have them while asleep.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2007, 05:21:28 pm »

I heard on the radio yesterday that dog owners are healthier than cat owners, and it boiled down to this: dog owners have to take their pets for walks.  I heard this while driving to get a dog.

So I guess I'll be healthier now.

Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2007, 06:56:44 pm »

I heard on the radio yesterday that dog owners are healthier than cat owners, and it boiled down to this: dog owners have to take their pets for walks.  I heard this while driving to get a dog.

So I guess I'll be healthier now.


If I got a dog, I'd become dehydrated from all the puking that I would do. I am dying to get a dog, but no way in hell can I deal with their poo.

When I was taking care of my dad and stepmom's Chow chow dog, Bear (or Beaw-beaw as I like to call him)...I let him out over the course of two days and hoped that he was shitting out there. Most of his day is spent in my dad's blissfully air-conditioned house, since Bear has a full on thick Chow coat that they keep clipped in the summertime. Still, the little dude gets overheated fast, and thankfully he did not have any accidents inside since I was there to constantly let him in and out as needed. The day that I had to leave soon arrived. I went outside in the blistering, 92 degree (Fahrenheit) Colorado sunshine and... there were a ton of flies out there in the small fenced yard. It was horrible. I had to get it cleaned up before the petsitter arrived.

Sometimes I gag a little when I'm cleaning my cats' litter pan. I tried...oh, how I tried to be brave. I full on puked - TWICE - while trying to clean up after the doggity-dogg. The added "material" that my body was involuntarily providing made my cleanup job just that much harder. My face was streaming with tears, I was puking and gagging, and I could not tell you how much I longed for some Vick's vapo-rub beneath my nose and an N-95 mask or SCBA like we use when we have a lot of patient bodily fluids to deal with. I love the Beaw and all that...but fuck that noise, seriously. I cleaned it up and then hosed the shit out of everything, hosed it down again, then scrubbed my hands and bleached them. JEEEEEZUS.

I'm gonna stick with the felines, thank you very much.

 
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2007, 07:53:11 pm »

I love dogs. I don't want to have to convince my pet to like me, basically. Cleaning up shit is unpleasant, but my dog is small, so no problems there.

Also: I think part of the reason the exercises felt "wrong" is that certain muscles in my arms are wayyyy too weak. So, for instance, when doing a shoulder exercise, my arms would have problems-- apparently my shoulders are stronger than the rest of me, and so while my shoulders could deal with the weight I was lifting, my arms would be all sorts of freaking out about holding that weight. Especially because you're not supposed to lock your arms.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2007, 08:04:31 pm »

Good luck with Sophie, man. Kids and dogs will either kill you or make you live forever.

Cats just shoot for maiming, of course.

Well, the kid hasn't killed me yet, and so far Sophie's been a pure joy.  I just had her chipped and rabies-shot down in Lomita.

No cats.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2007, 08:11:14 pm »

I see that Sophie is listed as "Good for Inexperienced Caregivers: No."  Is there a story there?

It makes me feel really tough that I can deal with dog poo when brave volunteer rescue person linnea cannot.  Thank you, because it is not every day - in fact, it is hardly any day - that I get to feel that way. Hey, I am so tough that I can take the dogs out in the backyard with my breakfast in one hand and pick up their poop with the other hand. 

See, I've cleaned up monkey poop - it's hard to impress me. Although I did turn down a temporary job with great apes recently. Somehow after all this time working with nice clean little frogs, I was not enthralled by the idea of getting up at the crack of dawn so gorillas could throw feces at me.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2007, 08:38:40 pm »

I used to walk my dog in the car.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2007, 08:43:31 pm »

I see that Sophie is listed as "Good for Inexperienced Caregivers: No."  Is there a story there?

It makes me feel really tough that I can deal with dog poo when brave volunteer rescue person linnea cannot.  Thank you, because it is not every day - in fact, it is hardly any day - that I get to feel that way. Hey, I am so tough that I can take the dogs out in the backyard with my breakfast in one hand and pick up their poop with the other hand. 

See, I've cleaned up monkey poop - it's hard to impress me. Although I did turn down a temporary job with great apes recently. Somehow after all this time working with nice clean little frogs, I was not enthralled by the idea of getting up at the crack of dawn so gorillas could throw feces at me.

omba is my hero. It would be so cool to work as a zoologist. The medic stuff isn't so bad, you just have to be mentally prepared and have a full arsenal of PPE (personal protective equipment) at your disposal.

I think that I just haven't been exposed to very many patients who involved feces outside their body, so even the thought of it just skeeves me out. Childbirth, miscarriages, blood, open fractures, motor vehicle accident that involved a 45 minute extrication to get the pt out, only to have him be all blue and floppy and dead from traumatic asphyxia/cardiac tamponade...  suctioning blood and teeth from the airway of a semi-conscious dude who'd had his face halfway beaten in... drunk patients who'd been on a three-day bender vomiting nearly-pure-alcohol (ETOH is our abbreviation), taquitos remnants, and bile... i can hang because i had PPE for all those calls. none of those could hold a candle to having to clean up 6 piles of steamy sunbaked dog poo in a 92 degree Colorado day armed only with 2 garbage bags and a garden trowel. *hhuuurrrrghhh*

One of my friends who runs Fire here in rural Colorado had a story for me that made my toenails retch. **If the above stuff made you queasy, then stop reading right here, dude.**







The fire department got called out to a trailer on a really hot summer day one August. Outside there is a terrible stench. The neighbors are holding their noses and point, "He's in THERE." They attempt to enter, but the smell is so bad that their paramedic vomits and they have to retreat to get SCBA (self contained breathing apparatus). The entire trailer is a shithole, littered with dog feces, thousands of beer cans, rotting food, cigarette butts, newspapers, and all other types of detritus. There are ants and flies around the whole place, but they notice a huge trail of ants leading to the bathroom. Uh oh.

Outside, they suit up and return to the trailer with full PPE and SCBA. In the bathtub there is a man who is covered in swarming black ants and flies. He is covered in his own shit and vomit and is either dead or unconscious. The medic pukes again inside his mask and has to go out to rinse and put on a different mask, and he is tailed by another firefighter to pull a preconnect hose from the rig. My friend is standing there, PRAYING that this is going to be a dead call so they can hightail it out of there and let the coroner's office deal with the whole mess. He triple gloves and reaches in to find a carotid (neck) pulse. FUCK, THE DUDE HAS A PULSE. They have to do an emergent move (move the patient out of imminent danger as quickly as possible), so they hose the patient off and remove him to out-of-doors, where they hose him off again before they can start patient interventions. Thank baby Jesus that I wasn't on that call.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2007, 11:50:34 pm »

I'm sorry your patient wasn't dead.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2007, 08:29:29 pm »

I see that Sophie is listed as "Good for Inexperienced Caregivers: No."  Is there a story there?

The story is that a lady found Sophie wandering the orange groves around Porterville without a collar, very clearly lost and in rough shape.  Fox terriers can be a handful, and the woman who runs the rescue service wanted to be sure that potential new owners knew their shit and were the right people for Sophie.  She had turned down three potential owners before I called; one was a couple in their early twenties who lived in an apartment and had never owned a dog before, either of them.  I had a Welsh terrier back in the day, so I wasn't worried about it.

We had to drive three hours (each way) to Visalia so the woman could meet me and Audrey and see how we all interacted.  For a moment, I thought the woman would turn us down, because we weren't jumping up and down with excitement that we had found our perfect dog, and I was thinking look, I'm not Tyra Banks, okay?  There will be no tears of joy shed here.  But she took my check and we drove away with Sophie.

As it turns out, if Sophie were any more mellow she'd go into a coma.  I think she's enjoying having a new place to hang where she's loved and doesn't have to worry about anything.  We left her alone in the backyard for a few hours last night when we went to see The Gordon Sumner Experience in Anaheim, and when we got home at midnight she jumped with joy for a few minutes and then just went to sleep in the living room like us leaving was no big thing. 

I'll post some pictures on the TOUAMB flickr at some point.  Maybe.






« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 08:34:00 pm by Limmo »
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up