Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that the best way to sound like a noob here is to ask what the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper are about?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Not Dying!  (Read 35098 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2007, 08:35:56 pm »

The story is that a lady found Sophie wandering the orange groves around Porterville without a collar, very clearly lost and in rough shape.  Fox terriers can be a handful, and the woman who runs the rescue service wanted to be sure that potential new owners knew their shit and were the right people for Sophie.  She had turned down three potential owners before I called; one was a couple in their early twenties who lived in an apartment and had never owned a dog before, either of them.  I had a Welsh terrier back in the day, so I wasn't worried about it.

We had to drive three hours (each way) to Visalia so the woman could meet me and Audrey and see how we all interacted.  For a moment, I thought the woman would turn us down, because we weren't jumping up and down with excitement that we had found our perfect dog, and I was thinking look, I'm not Tyra Banks, okay?  There will be no tears of joy shed here.  But she took my check and we drove away with Sophie.

As it turns out, if Sophie were any more mellow she'd go into a coma.  I think she's enjoying having a new place to hang where she's loved and doesn't have to worry about anything.  We left her alone in the backyard for a few hours last night when we went to see The Gordon Sumner Experience in Anaheim, and when we got home at midnight she jumped with joy for a few minutes and then just went to sleep in the living room like us leaving was no big thing. 

I'll post some pictures on the TOUAMB flickr at some point.  Maybe.


That is such a great story! I hope that humans and canine are doing awesomely. I am also very glad that the shelter lady was on the ball.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2007, 09:08:27 pm »

Alright, I joined Flickr and the TOUAMB group, so you should be able to see three pictures if you click on me there.  Or something.  I'm still new to this whole internet thing.  Just this morning I was talking into my penis like Scotty.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2007, 09:40:05 pm »

We left her alone in the backyard for a few hours last night when we went to see The Gordon Sumner Experience in Anaheim, and when we got home at midnight she jumped with joy for a few minutes and then just went to sleep in the living room like us leaving was no big thing. 


Is it actually called that, or is that your name for the Police reunion tour (which I know about through visiting a Starbucks last week).
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2007, 09:57:13 pm »

It is not actually called that, but thank you for picking up the reference.  No, it was the Police at the Pond ( or the Honda Center or whatever they're calling it this week ), doing their best to replicate the old magic and for the most part succeeding.  A lot of cougars and a lot of fat older white guys like me, reliving the early Reagan era at great expense. 

Some of the songs were drastically rearranged, because it was just the three of them with no other musicians, so that sometimes we didn't know what they were playing until Sting started vocalizing ( especially "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" ); other times they would launch into jams and Andy Summers would just start going off in a way I've never heard him do before.  They showed their age at times ( especially on the last song, "Next To You" ) but overall I was very happy with the whole thing.

Oh, and there was a sign posted at all the entrances: "By entering the premises, you consent to be filmed for a motion picture."  So next year you'll get to see what I saw.  Yay.

On-topic: I'm not dying, and I have a dog.  Go see for yourself.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 10:19:14 pm by Limmo »
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2007, 11:50:07 pm »

Working at work really killed my ability to eat right and lose weight, but I'm kinda back on that hoss now that it's summer and I'm going to sweat no matter what I do, so I may as well get some exercise.

I want to get a bike to just ride up and down the lake trail - it's some absurd amount of continuous trail by Lake Michigan - someone said 38 miles but that sounds impossible.

Anyway, it's a lot. 

I have to say, joining a Flickr meetup group and getting a new camera gets me out of the house and active more than anything.  Going to take pictures of shit is a good excuse to get out and DO things.

Still, there's free food at work, and all of it is deadly.  I walk past 30 candy dishes on the way to my desk every day.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2007, 11:02:17 am »

I haven't been sleeping, due to the patches.   This has been making the night shift a horrible ordeal, since I'm not prone to sleeping during the day anyhow.

I decided that even though I'm over a week into being cigarette free, I would end the cessation, and start up again for the duration of the nightshifts.  I figured, it would emotionally be better to mentally make the choice to start up again, instead of having some kind of freak out and starting up again.   

I got to work tonight, took off the patch, and lit the cigarette.   I was then confronted with what cigarettes actually taste like.  They kill off taste buds or something, so they eventually taste fine.   People put this stuff in their mouth?   Due to the fact that no one was around to tell me that I look cool, mature, or sexy, I have decided to take sleepless days and nights over that horrid flavor.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2007, 03:28:22 pm »

I haven't been sleeping, due to the patches.   This has been making the night shift a horrible ordeal, since I'm not prone to sleeping during the day anyhow.

I decided that even though I'm over a week into being cigarette free, I would end the cessation, and start up again for the duration of the nightshifts.  I figured, it would emotionally be better to mentally make the choice to start up again, instead of having some kind of freak out and starting up again.   

I got to work tonight, took off the patch, and lit the cigarette.   I was then confronted with what cigarettes actually taste like.  They kill off taste buds or something, so they eventually taste fine.   People put this stuff in their mouth?   Due to the fact that no one was around to tell me that I look cool, mature, or sexy, I have decided to take sleepless days and nights over that horrid flavor.

Damn, smick. You get a tiny can for getting back on that hoss and sticking with the patch.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2007, 04:51:00 pm »


I want to get a bike to just ride up and down the lake trail - it's some absurd amount of continuous trail by Lake Michigan - someone said 38 miles but that sounds impossible.

Anyway, it's a lot. 


8 blocks to a mile - just the portion south of Downtown is probably 9 miles, and it extends north into the Forest Preserve in the suburbs. Let's see, since Chicago is on a grid with State and Monroe as the axes so we can do this. Howard is 7600N so to downtown that's about 7.5 miles. The South end extends to about 83rd, 10.4 miles. The city has also expanded the marked bike lanes and I would imagine looking at the map I just found there's way more than 38 miles of cycling to be done. I just found something called the Major Taylor Bike Trail that was opened since we left. That looks like a good one too. Also, Jough, the LATE RIDE should be happening right around now - it's awesome - Lake Shore Drive is closed at Buckingham Fountain and about 10,000 cyclists set out at Midnight on the drive, through many neighborhoods, and on the trail going North. It's a loop and it returns to a park near Downtown where they give you breakfast. It's a lot of fun to do with a group and the CTA relaxes the whole '2 bikes to a car' thing on the train although you could probably just pedal home in about 10 minutes.

It is a lot and it's awesome. I spent a whole day once riding my bike from Evanston all the way down to the 63rd St Beach and back. There are bike trails all through the Forest Preserve in the northern suburbs that more-or-less connect with short street rides to the South Side of Chicago. It goes on past 63rd St a little further, I think, but of course the neighborhoods get a little more dicey.  There and back was a nice ride (with some sightseeing stops, beach stops, Navy Pier for lunch and a nap Uptown near Wilson st) that I probably invested 5-6 hours on  and totally worth it.

For those who haven't experienced Chicago, when the City was planned, it was decided very early to leave the shoreline the fuck alone for the enjoyment of the people. That's why those wise developers put the steel mills and the other industrial crap in Gary.

http://www.great-trails.com/lakefront.shtml
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2007, 10:54:37 pm »

I don't have diabetes!

This was a concern recently due to some questionable symptoms and my overweight, but my bloodwork's back and I'm about as healthy as an obese dude who never exercises can be expected to be. Glucose healthy, cholesterol low, blood pressure only a tich on the high side.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2007, 12:23:23 am »

I don't have diabetes!

Capital news!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2007, 04:53:12 pm »

On Monday night I ate cheese almost non-stop for forty-five minutes.

I could've coped with that if I hadn't also popped a block of butter into my mouth in a dreadful case of mistaken identity.

Really?  You guys just let this post go? 

Because I thought it was frikkin hilarious. 

Then again, I've been posting on Babycenter for the last 3 weeks, where women sharing stories of how annoying it is when people want to touch their pregnant bellies is considered Highbrow. 

It's good to be back.  I'm definitely not dying, and in fact am gestating as I type.  I'm 12.5 weeks along, total babygain = +5 lbs.  AFAIK, I also do not have diabetes.  We'll see in 12 more weeks. 

Also, re: not smoking -- keep it up.  I quit a few months before Little P was conceived so I had an incredible impetus to stay quit.  Take it one day at a time.  I still dream about cigarettes sometimes, but I don't miss it.  You can do it.  Find a hobby that keeps your hands busy, especially at home.  The hardest thing for me was not having a cig while I was driving -- I started taking a soda instead, to sip at stoplights &c.  Find substitute habits first and deal with the nicotine withdrawal later.  You'll do it, and you'll feel great.  Just my $0.02. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 05:01:07 pm by jldunston »
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2007, 05:06:16 pm »

and in fact am gestating as I type. 

That is, like, negative dying.  Cool.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2007, 05:19:50 pm »

Really?  You guys just let this post go? 

Because I thought it was frikkin hilarious. 

Then again, I've been posting on Babycenter for the last 3 weeks, where women sharing stories of how annoying it is when people want to touch their pregnant bellies is considered Highbrow. 

It's good to be back.  I'm definitely not dying, and in fact am gestating as I type.  I'm 12.5 weeks along, total babygain = +5 lbs.  AFAIK, I also do not have diabetes.  We'll see in 12 more weeks. 

Also, re: not smoking -- keep it up.  I quit a few months before Little P was conceived so I had an incredible impetus to stay quit.  Take it one day at a time.  I still dream about cigarettes sometimes, but I don't miss it.  You can do it.  Find a hobby that keeps your hands busy, especially at home.  The hardest thing for me was not having a cig while I was driving -- I started taking a soda instead, to sip at stoplights &c.  Find substitute habits first and deal with the nicotine withdrawal later.  You'll do it, and you'll feel great.  Just my $0.02. 

Ugh. I hate even thinking about being pregnant and imagining some asshole pawing my body. I'll have to strengthen my bitch-slapping hand to smack the hell out of anyone who thinks that my body is public property.

My best friend just conceived recently and she's about 8 or 9 weeks along. I'm really happy for her. She's kind of nervous about the stupid shit that people will say. I don't think I could politely handle people telling me gruesome pregnancy/labor/delivery stories if I were pregnant. She is, of course, a much nicer person than I am, so she is worried about how to handle them politely. Then again, I also don't want to be a huge ball of rage if and when I ever become pregnant. I'd rather just figure out a way to deal with it gracefully rather than coming unglued.

When I was in Alaska I saw a gorgeous lady who was visibly pregnant and had a scarf wrapped around her neck. I complimented her on the scarf, said that I was a knitter, and asked if she made it herself. She said no, and then vented a little bit - she was really upset because some Filipina lady had leapt at her, actually grabbed the scarf, and said, "NOO! The baby's cord will be wrapped around his neck if you wear that scarf!" I couldn't believe it. I told her that I was sorry, that the lady's actions were bullshit, and basically sympathized. >_< Way to go, superstitious asshole. I felt really bad for her.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2007, 05:38:40 pm »

In my neck of the woods, it's raising one's arms above one's head during pregnancy that causes a tangled cord.  I won't even begin to tell you about the lunch meat hysteria on the babycenter boards.  It's amazing how many people take the word of strangers on the internet more seriously than the advice of their own doctors. 

As for people rubbing my belly in Target, it didn't occur often enough for me to be upset about.  I was so excited to be pregnant that I didn't take much offense.  There was a creepy guy at the video game store that kept his hands on my belly waaaaay too long, but honestly I should have been a little more direct with him. 

The labor/delivery horror stories I had an answer to.  My brother's wife had the worst L&D story I've heard to date.  I won't go into details, but all I had to do was whip that puppy out and anything anyone else had to say paled in comparison.  If your friend wants the story let me know.  Or she can make one up.  Just tell her to incorporate the phrases "failed induction," "thirty eight hours," and "two hundred stitches."  Should do the trick. 

I had the easiest labor ever.  Three hours, no drugs, one stitch.  I'm actually looking forward to it this time.  Are you kidding?  I can take *anything* for three hours.  It beats the shit out of being nine months pregnant. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Not Dying!
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2007, 05:52:26 pm »

Whenever you give a lei to a pregnant (Hapai) woman, you cut it so that it hangs open at the bottom. Pregnant women never ever wear circle lei. For the identical reason as the scarf thing.

It's not superstition to people whose culture values these beliefs, so let's not be terribly hard on someone from somewhere else who acted principally our of concern - didn't harm anything, right?
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up