Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Romantic Advice Thread: Nice Guys, Bad Boys, Boys With Sisters, and Johnny Depp  (Read 4057 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

Now I feel like there's something wrong with me that I am not attracted to any superheroes.

Wombat is racist against two dimensional people!
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

No! Some of my best friends are two dimensional!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

No! Some of my best friends are two dimensional!

You need to post an image of you with your arm around an indifferent 2D person and pointing at them a la Stephen Colbert.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile

My first boyfriend was very in to Superman, and that was my nickname for him.. which really bothers me now.    Also, he had three brothers.  Also he was a huge jerk.  Really though, when it comes to how sons treat their women, I think it's actually about how the adult men in their life treat their women.   

In regard to comic heroes, I myself was never a fan of any of the big three, although I did have a huge crush on Jack Nicholson as the Joker, which is just so weird.  I've always preferred villains... Gary Oldman used to be it for me.

I was so into 21 Jump Street era Johnny Depp.  I had the life sized posters and such.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest

See, now I'm confused. I prefer Batman, although Superman has been growing on me lately. (Spidey has, unfortunately, been ruined by fanfiction.) I've never liked the mysterious-guy mode, though, and I've always dug nerds. Maybe I'm just confused -- after all, I am still not 25, and thus probably an idiot. </tongueincheekreferencetoJL'spostintendedonlyforhumorvalue>
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Update Regarding Pearce Dunston - Message from JL
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2006, 03:49:59 pm »

Fixed that for you.  Really, clearly the foolishness of youth is equal-opportunity.

ya, but men don't get to be 25 until they're at least, what? 35? 40? dead?

Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile

I think a valuable distinction can be drawn between the Batman type and the Wolverine/Gambit type, and that distinction is Bruce Wayne. Batman is dark, lonesome, brooding and mysterious, but he's also rich and classy - he's your classic "tall, dark stranger" while Wolverine is the guy in leather ****** on a motorcycle.

Let me preface this by saying, IANACG (I Am Not A Comics Geek), so I'm going by the better-known lore and might be missing some important data. 

However, what you say is true -- Batman has the added bonus of being rich, while Wolverine has the added bonus (to many women) of being dangerous.  But still, they are variations on the same theme -- the tragic flaw.  Something a woman can fix or overcome.  The thrill of pursuit.  (Women get off on that too.) Superman and Spider-man are both good boyfriend/spouse material as-is, but the darker heroes have something about them that needs to be dealt with before any romantic relationship can progress. 

This is reflected in the stories -- Peter has Mary Jane, Clark has Lois, but Batman has...who?  Vicki Vale, sure, but not for the long haul.  He's not really capable of maintaining a romantic relationship.  Women who love Batman want to "tame" him.  Wolverine, however, is a man with unrequited love in his heart.  Women who are drawn to Wolverine (myself included, though Spider-man is my one true love) are not simply attracted to the bad-boy, machismo persona, but also to the idea that he is capable of deep and passionate feelings for a woman even if she does not reciprocate.  Wolverine-lovers want to heal his broken heart. 

I'm certain there's a dissertation in here somewhere.  Any Lit majors out there? 

ya, but men don't get to be 25 until they're at least, what? 35? 40? dead?

I also have a theory that all men are seventeen from the time they actually turn seventeen until they get married.  When they walk down the aisle, they resume the aging process at the same rate as their spouses.  So Pedro's about 22 in woman-years.  My friend, whose husband is ten years her senior, is actually four years older than he is, maturity-wise. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile

Let me preface this by saying, IANACG (I Am Not A Comics Geek), so I'm going by the better-known lore and might be missing some important data.

Plenty comics-geeky enough for me. The point of Wolverine's unrequited love is a good one that I'd missed. The only thing that comics-geekery could add is that he's got like three or four of them, and one was a ninja.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up