Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Ray Smuckles pours one out for Tiger's '09 Escalade. "Shit didn't have to be that way, Tiger. You coulda' taken the damn Buick."

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: October Blogs, 2006  (Read 7962 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: October Blogs, 2006
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2006, 10:04:05 pm »

The world could be powered by the graves El Jefe has spun.

This has the potential to generate even more electricity than the mythical Buttered Cat Array. If only we could combine them.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: October Blogs, 2006
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2006, 06:28:48 am »

wait, eat it cold? why! It's so good warm!

a-so: linnea, I am so aware of this. I tell my mom that I am trying to gain weight, but if I actually gain weight in a way that I can tell (ie: "I can't see my ribs! My stomach isn't perfectly flat, or even concave!") I get all weird. Luckily, I rarely gain weight permanently. I will, though, once i get off my ass and gain some muscle. which is, in my experience, what 50% of girls who pretend to like skinny boys will end up telling you to do. saying "oh, so we can tell each other stuff like that now? By the way, you could stand to (insert damaging personal remark about weight or other element of personal appearance)" is not an acceptable comeback, no matter how upsetting this is. apparently.

(clarification: I was never stupid enough to actually say that. I just really really wanted to, at the time.)

I am not a fan of cold pizza. That just sounds wrong.

theinev: WTF do those girls think? Where in hell do they get off saying stuff like that? Dayumn, just strut your skinny ass down the road and be happy, because people who think it's okay to say shit like that are not polite at all.

I remember being jealous of a friend in college who was very thin. She was a ballet dancer and although she didn't have an eating disorder, she did not have a big appetite at all (hence the skinniness). I remember saying something about her being "scrawny" and she got really upset. She said, "That really hurts my feelings, dammit! Do you know how many times I got called flat-chested or skin-ande-bones in school? How would you feel if I said you were too fat?"

I was shocked, because I thought that skinny people were constantly gloating over their scrawniness as proof of being more godly, having so much self control, etc. I never stopped to think that the same jackass schoolkids who made fun of me for being chubby were probably the same ones who made fun of her (and Eva Longoria, and Tyra Banks, etc.) for being "too skinny". You just can't please everyone.

My ex was a very skinny, wiry guy, and he was always fretting that his arms and pecs and biceps weren't "big enough". I thought he looked awesome the way he was, and I told him that constantly. If you have some stupid bitch telling you to "gain some muscle" tell her that she'd be happier with some dumb meathead, and dump her. Then find a cute emo/hipster girl who loves your skinny ass as it should be loved!

This goes out to everyone who has ever had someone tell them that they have a physical shortcoming, like being "too tall", "too short", "too heavy", etc. You don't have to put up with that bullshit. 
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: October Blogs, 2006
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2006, 08:18:36 am »

Seriously, Linnea. Seriously.

It has always amazed me how many of my friends who would scream bloody murder if anyone made fat jokes feel free to make jokes about, and sometimes criticize the health of, skinny people quite thoroughly. Most recently, they were the ones gloating about the European models not allowed to walk the runway because of a low BMI -- as if they didn't process that this was preventing women from doing their jobs because of weight discrimination, exactly as if they had been kept from walking by a high BMI. (I would have had no problem with it had it been a genuine crackdown on eating disorders and poor health, but doing it by setting a gateway BMI is just bizarrely arbitrary.)

... That example rambled towards the end, but I think my point is that, if we want to end size discrimination, we have to avoid discriminating against anyone -- even those we assume are "safe targets" because they're more generally socially accepted. It kind of saddens me how many people don't seem to grasp that.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: October Blogs, 2006
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2006, 12:15:36 pm »

I think that story about the models is completely different. Those women aren't naturally that thin, they are basically forced to refrain from eating to keep their jobs.  Wasn't the idea to try to change an industry that required them to do that?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: October Blogs, 2006
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2006, 06:14:27 pm »

linn-- I am no longer dating that lady. she was crazy.

the lady who I am "with" now is much nicer. we are a pair of awkwardly skinny people, and it is good.

I feel like we end up having this converstion a lot. because I was about to start singing "closer to the bone, sweeter is the meat..." but I think I've done that before.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: October Blogs, 2006
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2006, 07:19:03 pm »

I feel like we end up having this converstion a lot. because I was about to start singing "closer to the bone, sweeter is the meat..." but I think I've done that before.

The nature of this board is that every good, and many "good" conversations, will keep happening over and over. So, what do people think about cat c*ckes? I hear they're barbed!
Logged

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: October Blogs, 2006
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2006, 08:15:20 pm »

Disregarding cat c*ckes for a moment!

I do agree that it is important to be happy with how you are.  However, I don't think people are really quite so static as to consider their weight part of who the really are.  A skinny dude could get into rock climbing and suddenly become slightly muscular.  Or an overweight person could discover a love for soccer and lose a lot of it.  I wouldn't say you'd have lost yourself in the process.

As for me, I am torn between being a computer programmer and loving the outdoors.  So my school/career/hobby inspires a sedentary lifestyle, while I love to climb trees, walls, etc., and find adventures in the forests and mountains.  As a result, I am dissatisfied with my current physique, because I know if I were slimmer I would find a lot more enjoyment in such wilderness tomfoolery.  At the same time, I have people telling me that I am perfect as I am, but that is blatently false!  Granted, I did approach almost-skinniness at the end of high school, and I think I look like an utter dork in pictures taken at those times, but I would gladly choose ability over appearance, so that is entirely irrelevant.

What is my point?  Ah, that changing yourself is not always bad, and that it is a remarkably vain person who will not admit that they could use some change.  You just have to find a middle ground between confidence and utility.

Ok, now for the cat c*ck discussions.
Logged
~

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: October Blogs, 2006
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2006, 10:04:55 pm »

I think that story about the models is completely different. Those women aren't naturally that thin, they are basically forced to refrain from eating to keep their jobs.  Wasn't the idea to try to change an industry that required them to do that?

It's not weight discrimination. The whole thing that initiated the Madrid ban was the death of a 22-year-old Uruguayan model, Luisel Ramos. She died of a heart attack during a fashion show because her agent had told her that if she could lose more weight, that her career would really take off and she could become a supermodel. When she died she had been eating nothing but negative-calorie vegetables like celery and Diet Coke for WEEKS. 
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: October Blogs, 2006
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2006, 12:39:51 pm »

Hey, remember the blogs?

I am pleased by this development regarding the name of the pub.  I think The Dude and Catastrophe  would make a good tshirt.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

ndpatel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sixtyeights.com
Re: October Blogs, 2006
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2006, 04:05:28 pm »

What I'll miss most about Philly is the pizza - not that I eat that much pizza these days.  Yes, I know Chicago is famous for its pizza, but it's that deep dish kind which is more like a large hot pocket than actual pizza.  I have heard talk that there is a New York style pizzeria downtown, though, and I will judge it harshly should I move there.

As a Chicagoan, I (along with many others) firmly believe that the best pizza in the city is Phil's, from exactly the kind of hole-in-the-wall southside pizza joint the best pizza in the city should be from. Not deep dish, not New York, just amazing.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: October Blogs, 2006
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2006, 04:00:12 pm »

Chicagoans are coming out of the woodwork on here.

Did I tell the board I have secured an apartment and will be moving to Chicago in less than two weeks?

Yes.

Anyway, now that there are (at least) four of us, we shall have to do a proper Chicago Achethon before the year is out.

I actually like the Chicago deep dish pizza thing, but I can't really eat it very often (like at all) and when I do I doubt it will slake my pizza jones. 

But I'll be back to Philly to visit often, I'm sure, and will enjoy the comforts of Philly foods upon my return.

I mean, it's not like Chicago doesn't have incredible food.  It has everything Philly has and then some.  It's just that in Chicago it's a little different.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up