I mean, okay, I'll grant you...
Steve Traschel is just terrible, so I'm not saying that the Mets would've swept or anything?
But with the proper roster choices... i.e. admitting that Cliff Floyd should've retired at the end of the 2004 season and not putting the entirely useless Anderson Hernandez on as Floyd's designated pinch-runner as part of that situation by putting a second long-reliever (Williams or possibly Bannister) and Milledge as a legit pinch-hitter/late-innings defensive replacement for Green...
Then they win Game Two also and they're sitting up three-to-one and... maybe not even rushing Glavine out on short rest tomorrow, maybe they try to piece together a bullpen game.
Still, I'm telling you, the only reason the Cardinals are in this thing is just horrific roster management by Randolph and Omar. Old school "rewarding team players" and "giving veterans one last ride" bullcrap that's old school for a reason... because a long time ago, people realized it doesn't work.
That's why its old.