Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Super Party Dance Mix 3000  (Read 8754 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2006, 01:04:49 pm »

Dan, whenever you have one of these thoughts, it is far far better to just let them fall backwards silently into the recesses of your mind than to project them aloud and sound like a chump.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2006, 04:05:40 pm »

Dan, normally Jough and I are in agreement about music, but yeah, Weird Al is fuck*ng funny as hell and The Talking Heads are overrated.  But you don't like either one so no one is in agreement here.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2006, 07:55:44 pm »

Weird Al's "One More Minute" (an original, not a parody song) is one of my favourites... from when I was ten.

Yeah, I have a bunch of Weird Al mp3s.  I have a few of his old albums on vinyl (the first, Weird Al in 3D, and Dare to Be Stupid) and he's good times, but I haven't really found him funny or original since I was about ten years old.

Talking Heads are not overrated - they are rated exactly right.  They're not one of my favourite bands, but their stuff is so sophisticated and well put together that any musician has to appreciate them on some level.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2006, 12:17:52 am »

Dan, whenever you have one of these thoughts, it is far far better to just let them fall backwards silently into the recesses of your mind than to project them aloud and sound like a chump.

Yea, that is what I was going to say, but mine came out in a profanity riddled personal attack.  Needless to say, I did not press "Post" and, instead, let someone with a little class handle the situation.  The Talking Heads are good, imo.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2006, 02:27:39 am »

Can to Keith for restraint and to Jough for putting it nicely.

I like The Talking Heads. I actually hadn't listened to them for years till I got my mp3 player recently.  The stuff holds up well.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2006, 04:26:05 am »

grazie wombie.  Although I must admit, sometimes I may have gone the other way (nobody deserves to be yelled at for their opinions, but sometimes I am a hypocrite), but the inev is rad, even if he doesn't like the talking heads.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 04:37:05 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2006, 04:29:51 pm »

I just... I don't know. I read some article about them or something and say "oh man, they are so cool!"
and then I listen to them, and can't get past the first few minutes. oh well.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2006, 04:35:59 pm »

I just... I don't know. I read some article about them or something and say "oh man, they are so cool!"
and then I listen to them, and can't get past the first few minutes. oh well.

Funnily enough, this reminds me of my first experience with a certain similarly awesome Internet comic strip.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2006, 01:22:40 am »

yeah, I mean, based on past experiences (Devo, Minor Threat, any Jazz... really, anything other than The Beatles) one day I'll realize that they are essential to my life.

"If I didn't like the Talking Heads, that opinion was made by an incorrect life which I no longer maintain."

also: they played at my ex's parent's wedding. I'm not sure how or why.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2006, 03:42:30 am »

Inev, tell me I misunderstood you. Tell me you don't mean to say that the Beatles are less than essential to your life.

Lie to me, just tell me that.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2006, 04:41:55 am »

no, I was saying that The Beatles are the only music I have ever really intuitively loved. everything else, I initially dislike. unless it's similar to something else I like.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2006, 04:51:09 am »

Oh thank god

i was worried for you there
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2006, 12:25:18 pm »

I have to say that some of my favourite musicians or bands were those for which I initially felt a great dislike.  The first time I heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit" I thought it was whiny crap - then it grew on me until I realised that it is whiny brilliance instead.

The same holds true for many of my favourite bands.  I don't know what it is.  Maybe anything new or interesting enough sounds "wrong" at first.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2006, 01:08:36 pm »

The first time I listened to The Breeders I couldn't fathom how they could suck so much when that one song on the radio, Canonball, was so cool. Luckily I realized the sucking was just an illusion that could only be dissipated by repeated exposure. It was like some kind of merit test so that only the patient could get at the musical goodness underneath. And of course The Breeders were just a gateway band to the Pixies.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Super Party Dance Mix 3000
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2006, 01:24:46 pm »

I can't think of many bands I have come to like. There are records that have taken me a few listens to really get, but not things I've disliked at first. The only thing that I always hated and actually quite like now, would be Tool. But then, as I say, I hadn't really listened to them, and when I did, I liked them straight off anyway.
I'm more  prone to going off things. There are a few albums (though again, not many) that I liked for a month or so and then never listen to again, and can't even imagine listening to again.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up