Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: wombat tries to watch movies again  (Read 100027 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #375 on: April 22, 2008, 02:27:41 pm »

Oh MAN grunge. 

I am wearing a leftover flannel shirt from my high-school days RIGHT NOW. 

Hehheh.  Grunge.  It's like the fad for being a dirty hippie came back, except without all the righteous indignation. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #376 on: April 22, 2008, 04:12:09 pm »

I heart that movie.  Also Bridget Fonda.  And Matt Dillon as a grown-up (sorta).  Demographically, that movie hit me in the sweet spot.  Except I was living in Arcata, California at the time, which was as rainy as Seattle, as hippy-liberal as a Berkely street fair and as conservative as Allentown, PA (all at once), and as remote as Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #377 on: April 23, 2008, 08:29:29 am »

The Technical Staff made us watch Sleepless in Seattle, because he has become enamored of Seattle and wishes he could move there.

It turns out that A, there is almost NO Seattle in this movie, and B, seriously, this is one of the worst movies I ever saw. I swear, I am as big a romantic fool as the next person, but what was even romantic about this movie? Yeah, I hope they can build a great relationship based on their love of the same baseball player and the fact that this guy can wax poetic about his dead wife.

People commenting on Netflix say that they cry at the end. I cried too, but it was because I was two hours closer to being DEAD and I could never get back the two hours I'd spent watching that movie.

Isn't that movie just a remake of a classic Cary Grant movie anyhow? Rent the original. You'll probably like it.(Edit: An Affair to Remember: Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr)

I watched an old Tony Curtis/Burt Lancaster movie last week called "The Sweet Smell of Success". I am becoming slowly convinced that sometime in the 70's really good, artistic movies with strong writing and carefully planned shots just flat out ended. But if you want to see tight writing, good music (Elmer Bernstein) and acting, check it out.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #378 on: April 23, 2008, 01:33:59 pm »

Isn't that movie just a remake of a classic Cary Grant movie anyhow? Rent the original. You'll probably like it.(Edit: An Affair to Remember: Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr)

I watched an old Tony Curtis/Burt Lancaster movie last week called "The Sweet Smell of Success". I am becoming slowly convinced that sometime in the 70's really good, artistic movies with strong writing and carefully planned shots just flat out ended. But if you want to see tight writing, good music (Elmer Bernstein) and acting, check it out.

We're hyping old romance movies now?  I'm in!  Who here absolutely loves The Apartment with Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine? 

A man loans his office out to executives for flings, and then messes everything up... WITH LOVE!  Comedy, darkness, appendix scars, repeated offers of coffee.  This movie had everything.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #379 on: April 23, 2008, 02:03:44 pm »

I know it's cliched but I just got done watching Casablanca on the big screen and that's still an awesome movie. Best ending to a love story ever.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #380 on: April 23, 2008, 02:28:44 pm »

We're hyping old romance movies now?  I'm in!  Who here absolutely loves The Apartment with Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine? 

A man loans his office apartment out to executives for flings, and then messes everything up... WITH LOVE!  Comedy, darkness, appendix scars, repeated offers of coffee.  This movie had everything.

Um, if he were loaning out his office, wouldn't the movie be called, The Office? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #381 on: April 24, 2008, 01:57:26 am »

Two great old movies to check out:  Marty for which Ernest Borgnine won an Oscar and His Gal Friday in which Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell discover just exactly how fast people can talk yet remain witty.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #382 on: April 24, 2008, 03:36:36 am »

Aaron Sorkin should take a lesson. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #383 on: April 24, 2008, 04:12:06 am »

I watched Rashomon tonight. It's a good movie.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #384 on: April 24, 2008, 06:32:51 am »

Perspectives? Gotta catch 'em all, Rashomon!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #385 on: April 24, 2008, 07:30:38 am »

Perspectives? Gotta catch 'em all, Rashomon!

Admittedly funny.

Also favorites in the old movie category: The Desk Set. Hepburn/Tracy, greatest chemistry ever on the big screen.

Another favorite is "Man's Favorite Sport" with Rock Hudson. That one is really funny.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #386 on: April 24, 2008, 07:59:13 am »

My favorite film of the era is The Philadelphia Story - Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, Kate Hepburn, and a very colorful supporting cast (yes the film is black & white) in a mixed-up love story at an old mansion outside Philly. Hilarious.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #387 on: April 24, 2008, 08:14:53 am »

my knowledge of old movies is basically limited to old Italian movies because I took a class on them-- Umberto D and Il Posto are my two big faves.

The Polish movie Ashes and Diamonds was also amazing, if only for the weird late 1950's Polish version of James Dean.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #388 on: April 24, 2008, 12:47:10 pm »

Pedro is horrified and offended by the idea behind this movie, but Mom and I think If A Man Answers is a hoot. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #389 on: May 28, 2008, 01:44:23 pm »

Brief Encounter is one of my favourite old love stories, and The Apartment was based on one of the minor characters in that film.

EDUCATION
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 35   Go Up