Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Awww yeah who is CATHOLIC up in this piece?!?!" -- you never hear that any more.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: wombat tries to watch movies again  (Read 99928 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #150 on: February 13, 2007, 04:00:45 am »

Oh, I have never seen Eraserhead. Should I?

Yes.  See it.  You will basically be done with seeing avant guard film once you've seen this one.  You will be questioning whether or not you should rent some art house flick with English subtitles, and then you will remind yourself that you've seen Eraserhead, and realize the pressure is off when it comes to seeing art films. It is the penultimate in the absurd.  Watch it with the lights off.

lfm is really under playing it by saying "slightly disturbing" - it is in truth, highly disturbing.  It taps the paranoia of childbearing in such a succinct way.  I saw it and I was like "Yes.  Yes.  This is exactly why I don't want to have a baby.  This is a nightmare I have had before, and Mr. Lynch turned into into a film."
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #151 on: February 13, 2007, 04:14:50 am »

Ms. Show, this is the first time I have ever been accused of underplaying something.

I appreciate that and reward you with prune soda.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #152 on: February 13, 2007, 07:28:08 am »

Yes.  See it.  You will basically be done with seeing avant guard film once you've seen this one.  You will be questioning whether or not you should rent some art house flick with English subtitles, and then you will remind yourself that you've seen Eraserhead, and realize the pressure is off when it comes to seeing art films. It is the penultimate in the absurd.  Watch it with the lights off.

lfm is really under playing it by saying "slightly disturbing" - it is in truth, highly disturbing.  It taps the paranoia of childbearing in such a succinct way.  I saw it and I was like "Yes.  Yes.  This is exactly why I don't want to have a baby.  This is a nightmare I have had before, and Mr. Lynch turned into into a film."

Sweet jesus. That sounds like a film on my not-to-watch list. I almost passed out when we watched a film on emergency childbirth. Then again, that was in my EMT-I days, and I've seen a lot of gore since then... but childbirth remains one of the things that Scares Me. I don't want Mr. Lynch messing around with my brainmeats on that one, thank you very much.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2007, 02:31:14 pm »

I feel the same way about Eraserhead.

Loud industrial noises?

Also along the lines of Eraserhead - INLAND EMPIRE.  I can't recommend it.  I saw it a month or so ago.  Man that sure was three hours.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2007, 03:02:18 pm »

I don't know why anyone would have any excuse for not having seen them (though I hadn't, and I don't know why), but I got round to watching Waiting for Guffman and A Mighty Wind, the Christopher Guest films, and they're highly recommended. I have Best in Show yet to watch, but am thoroughly looking forward to it after the other two. All I have to do is look at Harry Shearer in A Mighty Wind and I'm at least sniggering... What a beard. Both figuratively and literally!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2007, 05:06:46 pm »

Slink!  Best is Show is... the best out of all three of those.  Though Spinal Tap beats them all hands down.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2007, 06:37:47 pm »

Quote from: smick
Loud industrial noises?

From inside. Me. Eraserhead.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2007, 10:56:15 pm »

Slink!  Best is Show is... the best out of all three of those.

Damn, maybe I will watch that tonight...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2007, 12:04:56 am »

For those of you who have been following this thread from the beginning: We just watched the first ten minutes of Pulp Fiction and it is correct that there is no violence therein. The Technical Staff says he must have mixed it up with another movie because this one doesn't look familiar.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #159 on: February 25, 2007, 01:31:52 am »

Slink!  Best is Show is... the best out of all three of those.  Though Spinal Tap beats them all hands down.

Oh, I did watch it... I think I ended up with A Mighty Wind as my favourite of the three, although Guffman is pretty close. I loved Best in Show, don't get me wrong, but it was more uncomfortable than the others. The bit where Levy and O'Hara's characters are visiting those friends was just cringe-worthy, to me at least, and Posey and whatsisname's couple were rather painful (though strangely lovable and highly amusing, again don't get me wrong) at times. I think though, despite how much of Crufts I end up seeing every damn year, A Mighty Wind (and Guffman - re my admitting the theatrical lifestyle too) just hit closer to home, especially with the amount of folk I've seen or listened to in the last year.
(Though my word, not the Mainstreet Singers that's for sure!)

And I can only imagine that it was afterall Reservoir Dogs that he was confusing it with, which is rather more violent and guttural than Pulp Fiction. Possibly Killing Zoe which is very violent, but there's only a minor link there. Unfortunately now, I just keep thinking of violent films to recommend, like Children of Men or True Romance.
Oh, if you haven't seen Amelie, do. I have A Very Long Engagement, the next one by Jeunet to watch, though I also highly recommend Delicatessen and City of Lost Children if you haven't seen those.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #160 on: February 25, 2007, 07:44:35 am »

Yes Wombat, I mentioned Amelie way back when too, and I still resoundingly recommend it.  I've never seen it referenced anywhere, but I went to see it with a diverse group of about a dozen friends and every single one of the liked it.  Granted it was a mostly female group.  I've tried several times to watch A Very Long Engagement, but I just can't get into it.  I've seen the other two and enjoyed them, but their not high on my list.  Amelie is so different from the others - so light, with such an absence of the gloom and underlying tension of in the rest of Jeunet 's films.  Having been to Paris, I know that the city in the film is something of Jeunet's construction, but it's exactly what I wanted Paris to be.  It's a love fantasy.  It's wonderful. 

Slink - re: Best in Show, I think you hit the nail on the head.  In fact it is the uncomfortableness that I like best about all of those movies, and hence why Best in Show is my favorite.  I love the awkwardness of it all.  Also, I can never see a Weimaraner without thinking of Best in Show, and Parker Posey's braces.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #161 on: March 07, 2007, 06:27:32 am »

I enjoyed Best in Show. Sometimes Mr. Muse and I will occasionally scream at one another, "Get the Busy Bee!" and just fall into fits of giggling.

Delicatessen...

You MUST see this movie if you want to keep your Sick Fuck card current. It is so dark and so very wrong, but funny and fanciful at the same time. I think of all Jeunet's films it's my favorite. I enjoyed Amelie, but found it a bit trite. City of Lost Children was good, but less memorable. Delicatessen is broken through and through, in the best way possible.

If you want a fun action film, District B13 (not to be confused with Precinct 13) is a pure adrenaline high. The action is so constant and intense that it does sort of exhaust you, causing it to drag and get a little slow in the middle, even though people are cruising around beating on eachother. But there is just enough story to pull you through it, and actually pretty decent dialogue. Because it's so very French. It's your typical "buddy cop" movie, where the one cop who always works alone is forced to work with a street thug from the inside to crack a case, but they avoid most of the lame plot points in that formula, or at least couch them in such spectacular action sequences, or well-done dialogue, that they seem new. And its utter Frenchness is revealed first in the fabulous style sense of the characters, and secondly in the scene where the two main characters stop what they're doing to get into a debate about the nature of law and man (it's so French your DVD player will sprout a spontaneous beret). The action is over the top and yet simple at the same time--crazy adrenaline stuff but with an elegance. It's nice.

And the leading man is steaming smoking hot.

Please, please, please watch it in the original French with English subtitles. Because nothing ruins a film more than having some femmmy-sounding second-rate voice actor communicating in thug-speak over the persona of a 275-lb, tattooed, shaved-headed gang captain.
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #162 on: March 08, 2007, 04:11:47 am »

Oh gosh...I adored Best in Show. My younger sister highly recommended it, and we used to mock-scream shrilly at each other, "WHERE IS HER BUSY BEEE!!!"
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #163 on: March 08, 2007, 05:55:56 am »

tomorrow night I am going to see Rules of the Game! Yayyyy!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: wombat tries to watch movies again
« Reply #164 on: March 08, 2007, 08:26:08 am »

If you wanna see pretty much The Worst Movie With An Actual Budget Ever, "The Guardian" is pretty much full-on what you're looking for. Kevin Coster will pretty much act in anything as long as he gets to be Old-Man Jesus by the end.

Good Lord.

Characters that seem like they were gonna be important just kinda disappear and reappear all the fuck over the place. People know each others' names for reasons we can't fathom. Dozens are the times when if someone said what a normal person would say, the plot would no longer happen.

Slow-motion was officially rendered exhausted by this movie.

And, oh man, does Kevin Costner get to play Old-Man Jesus.

He Old-Man Jesuses the hell out of this movie.

We borrowed it off someone and are considering crushing the DVD into dust and handing that dust and the retail value of the DVD back to the friend we borrowed it from...

I seriously never thought there was gonna be a Movie With An Actual Budget worse than 3000 Miles to Graceland but... holy fuck... here we are.

In a sane and reasonable world, people would be watching "The Guardian" on Saturdays at midnight and dressing up as all their favourite characters... Jesus Costner, Mopey Kutcher, Random Black Guy, Love Interest Clearly Fifteen Years Older Than Ashton, Rear Admiral The Kurgan, Wimpy Guy... and just kicking the piss out of this abysmal piece of shit.

I warn you however, only people truly at one with the ninja art of tolerating a bad movie are going to survive this without major shock trauma. My ninja art is STRONG and even I nearly tapped out when we cut away after the bar fight that landed Mopey and Wimpy in jail and...

We cut to Love Interest Clearly Fifteen Years Older Than Ashton, sitting in a fancy dress, thinking he has stood her up.

My ninja is fuck*ng STRONG and I was begging for mercy from a God I do not always believe in.

But if you think you are ready... if Battlefield Earth and Catwoman and Buffalo '66 roll off your back like some sort of duck-based water... here is your ultimate challenge.

Here is... "The Guardian".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 35   Go Up