Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Where is EVERYBODY dang it  (Read 12160 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006, 05:19:11 am »

A dude was back East for a friend's wedding.

If flying economy can get more humiliating without the attendants just hauling off and punching you in the nuts, I'd like to see it. Five bucks for a "Snack Tray" of Oreos and a cheese wedge? Okay. Getting shoved into a tiny space like a calf to slaughter? All right.

But "You Me and Dupree"?

A line was crossed.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2006, 07:48:39 am »

I saw that movie. Not gonna lie. I remember thinking one or more of the ladies in it was cute.

I hell of bitched about it, though. I was mostly there because all of my not-female friends were out of town. so.

yeah. sorry.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2006, 10:48:35 am »

Where are those pictures?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2006, 01:57:34 pm »

I'll probably post a lot less once I move, too.  It's just how it goes.  Can't really post to cartoon message boards when I'm on someone else's manor, you know?

Jough, it's been a really long time since you had a regular job, hasn't it?  I mean, have you ever wondered why the board is so much more active on the weekdays than on the weekends?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2006, 02:57:09 pm »

Well, since you must know.

Let me share. I have just moved to a new house, and you know how messy and exhausting the whole process can be: You flee from your old house after it's been broken into twice by burglars, who took with them some cases containing musical equipment worth around R$4.000 (US$2,000) - guitar pedals and drumkit parts -, trying to avoid any further contact with your ever-helpful and well-meaning neighbour (who works as scout for the druglords from a nearby slum, and who has actually found the burglars as they were trying to pass on the stolen merchandise and cold killed them on the spot execution-style, returning said merchandise to us afterwards [for a small fee but of course] and even offering us some guns - "cyclops" as they are affectionately called here - so we could "set up a trap and just get rid of the rest of them thieves").

As it happens, he chanced to be around in the two occasions when the burglars broke into our place. On the second biff the perps managed to escape (alas, our neighbour was unarmed that time), not before they gave him a good thrashing (picture being sound asleep 10 am in a Sunday morning in a house that was supposed to be empty to be awaken by a loud banging on your door that, when opened, reveals a shirtless, wrecked mess of a man spitting blood on the corridor, spouting drug-addled nonsense about having just fought for YOUR material possessions, using maybe just a little tad much that ominous finger-pointing of street aggression right to your face while at it).

The second worst thing in the world is the cordial thug, I tell you.

So as you can see - Moving!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 03:12:31 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2006, 02:58:26 pm »

I know what you rabble do while at work, but I'm going to be pretty busy doing actual, like, work.

Yeah, it's been a while since I've technically been an employee, but I've worked on-site at client offices where I worked pretty much like a regular employee.  Should be fine.  I've seen Office Space, so I know what to expect. ;)

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2006, 03:29:35 pm »

Yesterday was a day for small tasks that needed doing (haircut, new footy kit) and today I had friends over and went to the old November the Fifth celebrations.
 

Aww crud.  I totally forgot the fifth of November, entirely contrary to all of the directives I have received.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2006, 05:53:27 pm »

Quote from: JudyIsADickSlap
(haircut, new footy kit)

Now... see... I know (or rather, think) that you guys call what I call "ground pong" and most Americans call "soccer" "footy" as short for "football" but... I'm at a loss for what a footy KIT would mean. There's a ball and... there's a ball. Cleats, I suppose. Eventually two nets if you're gonna get fancy.

But how they'd all fit in a "kit" is it like a little suitcase that has two INTENSELY collapsable nets in it?

I don't understand.

If a North American told me he or she was getting a haircut and a footy kit, I'd think that their barber sold a little kit for doing your own pedicures with, such as, nail clippers and files and a pumice stone and polishes and so on and so forth.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2006, 06:01:15 pm »

a "kit" in this context is what us 'mericans would call a "jersey," no?

Or what Canadians may call a "sweater," at least in hockey parlance.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2006, 06:07:57 pm »

Quote from: carlosdelvaca
a "kit" in this context is what us 'mericans would call a "jersey," no?

Really? Damn.

This is what I get for never hanging out with schmuck punk-poseurs who feel that being punk means peppering a Long Island accent with "shite" and "bollocks"... I've ended up so far behind on this sort of thing.

What would be the etemology of that usage, I wonder?

A kit is definitely a little box with stuff themed around doing a certain thing, at least in the American rural Northeast.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2006, 06:14:15 pm »

A footy kit is just the stuff you wear during a game of Association football. Top, shorts (long sleeves and trousers if you're a jessy, or a manager), 3/4 lengths, shinpads and studded boots. For professional teams, you'd refer to their 'kit' as what they wear during matches. 'Strip' might also be used.

Now that we have that sorted: cleats is possibly the worst word in the entire world.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2006, 06:16:25 pm »

Kit doesn't refer only to a football uniform, it's any outfit.  Is this correct Jude?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2006, 06:31:56 pm »

Footy kits aside, I've been tied up (not literally) with a frothy blend of "graduate school", "raising a toddler", and "trying to sell our house", with a twist of "autism," garnished with "triweekly speech therapy" and a tiny paper umbrella. 

Also I had (still have) a cold and felt like hoss puckey all weekend. 

Neat, though, that Wombat and Carlos got to meet!  Are there pictures? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2006, 06:44:51 pm »

...I've been tied up (not literally)...

Most Unfortunate
Logged
We must repeat!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2006, 07:50:00 pm »

Neat, though, that Wombat and Carlos got to meet!  Are there pictures? 

Unfortunately not since it was unexpected.  I used to take a camera to work all the time actually, but there doesn't seem much point at an aquarium.  Nearly everything is behind glass and under water so the pictures would be pretty lousy.

Isn't there a picture of Carlos from the last time we met, though?  Oh yeah: http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2038.msg43545.html#msg43545
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up