Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Where is EVERYBODY dang it  (Read 12166 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2006, 08:25:59 pm »

Unfortunately not since it was unexpected.  I used to take a camera to work all the time actually, but there doesn't seem much point at an aquarium.  Nearly everything is behind glass and under water so the pictures would be pretty lousy.

You could take a picture of a shoal of herring. Those guys photograph pretty nice.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2006, 09:56:42 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2006, 10:30:47 pm »

I just remembered the other reason I don't always have my camera with me these days, when I went to download the pug pictures.  It's that the rechargable battery is dying. It's doing that thing where no matter how long you charge it up, it loses power in a very short time.

I keep forgetting about this because I dread facing the prospect of trying to solve this problem. The camera's probably too old to buy a new battery.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2006, 10:51:14 pm »

EXCITING V-ADORE NEWS FLASH:

Second exam is done, concluding the 48 Hours Of Incredibly Poorly-Scheduled Terror. (Seriously, I can't get over the fact that I had an exam in each of my two classes, both of which are required for first-year graduate students in my program and thus have over 75% shared enrollment. Who decided it was a good idea to have back-to-back exams in the classes a whole lot of people are both taking?)
Logged

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2006, 11:18:26 pm »

I'm sure there's plenty of bitter admin staff lifers that would love to inflict the ol' fear and loathing on your fresh young faces that you could eye as canidates.

(At least there was where I did the education thing)

Your only revenge?

Survival
Logged
We must repeat!

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2006, 04:24:47 am »

After three name changes and over a week of delays, our product was finally submitted for approval at the end of a 16 hour Saturday.  That gave us Sunday as our second day off since the beginning of October, which was neat.  Then last night someone noticed a remaining instance of the original name, so trigger hectic calling-back-of-people-who-left-work-early-to-vote.  Also, half of the team was replaced Monday.

Maybe in a month we will find out if the original plan for the complete product will be put in to effect, or alternately if we will be split up and reassigned.  Most people on the project are temps, hired on an at-will basis (i.e., can be fired immediately and for no particular reason with no recompense).  We have no idea what to expect for the future, and neither does management.  Currently several of us are collaborating through three states on a project via IRC with no documentation and really no idea who we're talking to.

But I still can't wait to go in to work every day, which makes this in many ways the best job I've ever had.

So, yeah.  Achewood's still pretty funny.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Pimp_skitters

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 75
    • View Profile
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2006, 11:03:39 pm »

I've been thinking about posting some comments on Achewood strip threads, but most of the recent strips speak so eloquently for themselves I find any commentary I can think of uneccesary. That's why I haven't appeared at all over the last two months...
Logged
Not often here.
  I'm currently pursuing more face to face interactions from now on, but feel free to PM me.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2006, 11:08:12 pm »

Kit doesn't refer only to a football uniform, it's any outfit.  Is this correct Jude?

~Paul

Well, it's certainly applied to other sports, and stuff like hiking (hiking kit etc.). Apart from that, the only example I can think of when kit is used in relation to clothes is when you tell a beautiful woman/man to get their kit off. With any luck, nakedness ensues
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2006, 11:16:05 pm »

Yes, that's my knowledge of the word.  I assumed therefore, based on this that the term referred to any outfit, not just a sport uniform.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2006, 11:23:37 pm »

Mrs. West is having Lap-Band surgery (and Laproscopic gall bladder removal) tomorrow.

I read this when you posted it, but it didn't register until just now.  Best of luck to Mrs. West our prayers are with her.  Also, save the gall bladder, it might be in a museum* someday.

~Paul

*Ok, that's an appendix, but whatever...
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2006, 12:37:48 am »

I meant to reply to this, too -- I had a "lap chole" (laproscopic gall bladder-ectomy) in May.  The worst part was -- and I apologize in advance for this mental image -- having to expel all the gas they put in your digestive tract during the surgery.  It's ridiculous.  If I stayed in an upright position for too long, all the gas rose into my shoulder blades, of all places, so I spent two days flat on my back, and not in the good way. 

I understand, however, that this is not an entirely usual reaction.  So here's hoping Mrs. West is doing just dandy today. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2006, 12:42:23 am »

Thank you for this, jl.  I am supposed to have an ovarian cyst removed laparoscopically in December and I am hysterical about it. I have known too many animals who were just supposed to have their teeth cleaned or something and died from the anesthesia.  Yes, I know they are better at it with people than with exotic animals. It's not helping.  Anyway, now I can at least be thankful they are not also going to fill me up with gas.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2006, 12:51:28 am »

Don't sweat it, laproscopy is a relatively easy recovery.  However, do not assume that just because you only have three little teeny tiny holes in your body that you don't need to take the painkillers they give you.  I know some people who shall remain nameless who believe that suffering makes them hard-core and taking medication makes them spineless wussies.  Learn from my, I mean, their mistakes. 

Besides, you know, free drugs. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2006, 02:19:56 am »

Mrs. West is doing well.  She was concerned about the gas thing, because they do that with the lap band too, but we haven't noticed any problem with it.  She's still a little sore in spots, but is up and around and probably doing a little too much, but I can't stop her.

Anyhow, thanks for the good thoughts, I'll pass them on.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Where is EVERYBODY dang it
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2006, 07:59:47 pm »

So I didn't die from the anesthesia and I am not full of gas but I have been very lethargic and am just getting around to finding this thread again, which was a lot of trouble, because how was I supposed to remember it was the 'where is everyone' thread that had turned to talk of surgery.  But appropriate, because where the hell have you all been while I've been lying on the couch for four days looking for something to read?  It has been so slow that I have been reduced to reading episode recaps of Gilmore Girls at Television Without Pity.  For shame, my imaginary friends, for shame.

I have not had a lot of pain, actually, except I think I strained something today.  One of the things these written instructions tell me to avoid is 'excessive social activity.'  Is that what you kids are calling it nowadays?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up