Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: PROBLEM: A 13 year old girl on myspace lists my (unique) name as her B/f  (Read 9830 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: PROBLEM: A 13 year old girl on myspace lists my (unique) name as her B/f
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 03:52:51 am »

this is like how I finally found this girl who I've seen on campus a million times. And the reason I recognize her is because she looks like my girlfriend and one of my better female friends.

and of course, I basically said "oh man, awesome, I have been wondering who you were. because I see you all the time! you know?" and she had no idea who i was.

although now I know that apparently she took a picture of me sleeping one time. awkward. awkward for everyone.

...plus, meeting a girl and saying "you look like my girlfriend!" is just weird to begin with.

Sometimes the internet just makes you look way too creepy.

(although, in my defense, it's not as if I stalked her over the net. It ends up that my friend who used to live here knew her.)

(update: she does not find it creepy, apparently. I guess it balances out. "You look like my girlfriend!" "I took a picture of you sleeping!")
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 04:34:36 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: PROBLEM: A 13 year old girl on myspace lists my (unique) name as her B/f
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2006, 05:37:39 pm »

But doesn't everyone Google themselves once in a while?  Oh, but you mean they don't admit it.

Sadly, with names as common as mine I end up with 1000's of pages about other people.  If I want to feel small I'd rather look at the starry night sky.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: PROBLEM: A 13 year old girl on myspace lists my (unique) name as her B/f
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2006, 06:48:17 pm »

Sadly, with names as common as mine I end up with 1000's of pages about other people.  If I want to feel small I'd rather look at the starry night sky.

I was named after my great-grandfather but from what I can tell there is nobody else with my name. My first name has become exponentially more popular (although less so for girls) but my last name is still quite rare.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: PROBLEM: A 13 year old girl on myspace lists my (unique) name as her B/f
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2006, 08:00:06 pm »

There seem to be only a handful of other people with my name - just few enough for me to be annoyed at them for the intrusion.  I have the biggest web presence of all of them because I used to be an academic - but I check every once in a while to see if any of the others are catching up.  It's very silly I guess.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: PROBLEM: A 13 year old girl on myspace lists my (unique) name as her B/f
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2006, 09:09:28 pm »

But doesn't everyone Google themselves once in a while?  Oh, but you mean they don't admit it.

I don't Google myself. 

I Google you.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: PROBLEM: A 13 year old girl on myspace lists my (unique) name as her B/f
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2006, 09:34:31 pm »

Apparently I share my name online with a gene researcher, a psychology professor, a guy who stole a park bench, and a dead baby.

The dead baby has the most Google hits.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: PROBLEM: A 13 year old girl on myspace lists my (unique) name as her B/f
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2006, 09:39:54 pm »

I don't Google myself. 

I Google you.

In Soviet Russia name Googles you!
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: PROBLEM: A 13 year old girl on myspace lists my (unique) name as her B/f
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2006, 09:58:28 pm »

I always get some congressman, and then some other boring fellows.

some guy with the name Daniel B***** from Kentucky friended me on facebook recently. he seems kind of lame, it makes me sad.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: PROBLEM: A 13 year old girl on myspace lists my (unique) name as her B/f
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2006, 11:25:31 pm »

As far as I know, there is only one other person with my name on the Internet. She's a realtor from South Africa, and I bet she is pissed as hell that there is some obnoxious American nerd with her name who gets all her Google hits.

Most disturbing thing on the first page of the Google listings for my name: a full tabulated score sheet from the Nebraska State Speech Championships in 2002, my senior year of high school. This is mostly disturbing because I still remember most of these people, and many of them I have unnervingly intense feelings about. ("Jesus Christ, Pat Lee? That private-school fuck! ... oh jesus, Joe Kirschner, that dude needed a shanking ... hey, Dan. I wonder what Dan's up to lately. Good guy.")
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: PROBLEM: A 13 year old girl on myspace lists my (unique) name as her B/f
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2006, 03:39:06 am »

A) I am not an FBI agent.  I suggest that AlohaDawg is the actual FBI plant.


EH? I deny everything.

Also, my very western first name with my very Arabic last name gives me, for the time being, 100% Uniqueness on google with my name. And I think I still get 8 pages or so of hits.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: PROBLEM: A 13 year old girl on myspace lists my (unique) name as her B/f
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2006, 04:32:56 am »

EH? I deny everything.


Just what I'd expect you to say...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: PROBLEM: A 13 year old girl on myspace lists my (unique) name as her B/f
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2006, 12:35:31 pm »

Would you believe it, I don't even have the same surname as anyone I've met in my life (barring my family) but in bonny Scotland there are a ton of Cuthbertson's.

Also, I share my Dad's first name and he's the first result, but he's had kind of a head start in terms of years. I will report back in 20 years on this.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: PROBLEM: A 13 year old girl on myspace lists my (unique) name as her B/f
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2006, 06:44:32 pm »

Depressingly, I think I have more hits on Google than the entire rest of my extended family (father's side) combined. As far as the Internet is concerned, my mother seems to not exist -- except for a reference to her full name on this site, which is sort of disturbing.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: PROBLEM: A 13 year old girl on myspace lists my (unique) name as her B/f
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2006, 06:56:19 pm »

my mom got really excited, because I googled her and one of the results was someone's bibliography-- they were citing her doctoral dissertation.

but yeah.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: PROBLEM: A 13 year old girl on myspace lists my (unique) name as her B/f
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2006, 11:25:26 pm »

Would you believe it, I don't even have the same surname as anyone I've met in my life (barring my family) but in bonny Scotland there are a ton of Cuthbertson's.

I used to know a Cuthbert and he was a Dick (maybe a dickslap even).  Coincidence?*

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up