Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How Does He Smell?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Trivial Pursuit V6  (Read 6382 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Trivial Pursuit V6
« on: September 21, 2003, 03:07:57 am »

So I just found out that Trivial Pursuit Volume 6 is now out (they've dropped the whole "genus" thing). Sadly the bastards make you buy the whole damn thing no matter how many sets of boards and pies you already have but still.

I don't know who else likes to get together for a TP session but I thought I'd throw it out there.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Trivial Pursuit V6
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2003, 04:16:55 am »

I will eat your lunch at Trivial Pursuit.  Anytime.  Anyday.

Bring it on.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Trivial Pursuit V6
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2003, 06:58:52 am »

I don't play Trivial Pursuit anymore because people get angry with me for knowing all of the answers and they accuse me of cheating or reading and memorizing all of the cards (I do have a good memory for useless trivia).

Silly, silly competitive people.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Trivial Pursuit V6
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2003, 02:18:57 pm »

I don't memorize the cards but Erin and I can't enjoy Genus 5 for a while because every time we play we're always saying things like "I remember missing this question last time" or "didn't you win the game with this one once?"

Actually, my favorite part of the game is saying "the real answer is X but the answer the card wants is Y" even though it's the first time I've played that version. That or pointing out that as written the question is unanswerable then giving the answer they want.
Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Trivial Pursuit V6
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2003, 02:42:43 pm »

I'm always the one pointing out the grammatical errors in the questions. Why, oh why, do they always end their sentences in prepositions?!?
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Trivial Pursuit V6
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2003, 06:01:29 pm »

Oh yeah, I've corrected the cards before... one I remember is "What was Malcolm Little's name when he died?"... the answer on the card being "Malcolm X", but since I'm a civil rights arcana geek, I knew it was El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz... or something to that extent, I'm not quite sure anymore... but I was guaranteed 10 geek points for that one.
Logged
goose means greedy

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Trivial Pursuit V6
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2003, 07:16:44 pm »

And don't forget the infamous "only man made object visible from space" question.

Great Wall my ass . . .
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Trivial Pursuit V6
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2003, 08:54:03 pm »

There are actually several man-made structures that can be seen from orbit.

Of course, I find the inverse more amazing - man-made structures in orbit that can be seen from Earth.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Trivial Pursuit V6
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2003, 10:10:27 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
There are actually several man-made structures that can be seen from orbit.


Though no man made objects visible from the moon, which was always the old one.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Trivial Pursuit V6
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2003, 11:29:19 pm »

The problem with the great wall is that it's not all that thick.  I mean, I wouldn't want to have to build even a small section of it - but from space it starts to blend into the other land features.

Trivial Pursuit is pretty good, though.  I have the "Pop Culture" edition that came out in 1985 and to see the things that were "pop" then is funny.

Used to play a loooooooot of TP back in the day.  I had no idea they were even still making new editions.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Trivial Pursuit V6
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2003, 02:46:57 am »

You people are freaks.  There, I've said it.  

I'm terrible at Trivial Pursuit.  I can't think under pressure, and I consistently mis-interpret the questions so even things I know, and everybody knows I know, I can't get.  I think the questions are phrased sneakily.  I have the same problem with Jeoardy, but not as mad.  

Also, most of my trivial knowedge comes from Snopes.com and Dan Savage's column.  Those sources aren't conducive to family board games.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Trivial Pursuit V6
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2003, 02:53:54 am »

I used to be a lot better than I am now.
As a kid I could kick ass at it, but last time we played it, last christmas, I was pretty shit.
My memory has just got so bad now that while I know the answer I just can't remember what it is all the time.
Probably not helped by the fact it's a mid eighties edition we played!

It's debatable whether the memory issues are cannabis based or medically based. There's good chances it's both!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Trivial Pursuit V6
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2003, 03:09:26 am »

I was more of a fan of the You Don't Know Jack type trivia games but I don't think they make those any more. I like how they tried to be funny. Like the occasional Impossible Question
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Trivial Pursuit V6
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2003, 03:49:23 am »

Quote from: "jldunston"

Also, most of my trivial knowedge comes from Snopes.com.


Snopes is the shiznit.

But, wouldn't an extensive familiarity with the topics covered on Snopes only give you a good base of wrong information?  Of course, that could be helpful in TP.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Trivial Pursuit V6
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2003, 01:14:06 pm »

More accurately, it tells you which information that is listed on the card as "fact" is actually false or misconstrued.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up