For the Smiths I would reccomend their last album, Strangeways, Here We Come. For the Talking Heads I would go with any of their first 4 except Fear of Music (77, more songs about buidings and food or Remain in light). With the Talking Heads 77 and More Songs are alot different than Fear of Music, Remain in Light and Speaking in Tongues, so you should definately get one of the first two and Remain in Light. This in no way means that Fear of Music is a bad record(probably my favorite, definately my favorite song: Life During Wartime). For Tom Waits I could not recommend Swordgiraffetrombones enough, especially as a new fan, but Rain Dogs and Heart of a Saturday night should do you pretty well also.
The Pogues: I have If I should Fall From Grace... and Rum Sodomy and Lash (I believe at someone on this boards advice). I love Rum Sodomy and Lash, but don't like if I should Fall From Grace that much. Are there any others more like Rum Sodomy...? Also, the guy in the Pogues ( i am not going to look up his name now but sometimes I know it) was in some punk bands before the pogues, any suggestions on that?
Also, a friend real big into the Fall (great band, start with This Nations Saving Grace, if you want) recommended that I listen to Public Image LTD. I have no idea who they are.