Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The next time you appreciate how nice large titties look, be happy and smile to yourself. You deserve it.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Introductory Album Thread  (Read 22960 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2006, 06:54:01 pm »

Judy - "Mammal" by TMBG is on my mixdisc - did you hate that?

I actually think that's a pretty representative song, although others may disagree.  Because a big part of their thing is that they write clever songs about topics that no one else writes songs about.  If that seems annoying rather than amusing then they just aren't for you.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2006, 06:59:53 pm »

I personally like "Dial-a-Song: 20 years of They Might Be Giants." That was my introduction to them, and, it can never be beaten.

mostly because it reminds me of a precious time, back before my friends all started listening to "serious" music and got sticks up their asses.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2006, 07:07:37 pm »

Cort - I have an odd fascination with Birdhouse In Your Soul and Dr Worm; seems like something that will grow on me! The others were similar but I didn't enjoy them so much. Perhaps the videos won me over by comparison to my other listens? They seem like very interesting guys with interesting ideas, and the videos helped me get into them a bit more than a cold radio listen.

Wombat - It seemed okay if a bit self-consciously weird at first, but it's actually none too bad going back to it. It does seem a lot like what I perceive them to be: a bit oddball but basically fun, if you enjoy them.

Seriously though, thanks for the links Cort. If I liked those two songs, what album should I be after? Really, you're all being very helpful about this. Cans for all.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2006, 07:24:07 pm »

Do you know who told me? JIM fuck*ng MORRISON TOLD ME!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2006, 07:49:56 pm »

Hmm. Birdhouse and Dr. Worm are pretty far apart chronologically. So I guess your best bet would be one of the two compilations.

A User's Guide to They Might Be Giants is 29 tracks on one disc and runs about 12USD. It's all studio songs with a couple of B-sides. It was aimed at kids following the success of their children's album. There's no new material on here at all.

Dial-A-Song: 20 Years of They Might Be Giants is 52 tracks on two discs and runs about 28USD. There's one previously unreleased live track featuring the crowd-favorite Famous Drummer Phone Tree* as well as their themes for Malcom in the Middle and Austin Powers 2. There's also a little book with lyrics and a piece by Sarah Vowell. It was released basically because the band had been around for 20 years and people would buy it. Aside from that one live track nothing on here was new.

I would say it depends on how much you want to put down for one album and how much of their catalog you think you might buy in the future. Dial-A-Song is really redundant if you have all their studio albums. But then these guys are super prolific. I have over 400 official mp3's of theirs and I stopped really following them about 3 years ago.

What I want to know is why they've never released the theme from The Daily Show.


*For any Stevie Wonder song from 1982 until now, press or say 7
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2006, 09:06:02 pm »

Alright, time to drop the proverbial bomb. I know you guys here are absolutely in love with them, but I don't own any of TMBG's stuff. This is mostly on account of all their songs I've heard sounding like shit, but I know you guys have good taste so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

You mean i'm not the only one here who doesn't like TMBG?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2006, 10:16:41 pm »

You mean i'm not the only one here who doesn't like TMBG?

~Paul

Lets all come out of the woodwork.


As for Costello, I consider his first two albums (My Aim is True, This Years Model) as must owns.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2006, 04:19:05 am »

I don't know much about PIL, but I know their best song is "Rise."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzNjmIWbns4
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2006, 05:49:08 am »

I like TMBG, Dottie.

Like.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2006, 06:11:52 am »

Introductory Instrumental Zappa album:  Hot Rats, then maybe Sleep Dirt or Burnt Weeny Sandwich

Introductory Funny Zappa album(s):  Joe's Garage, Acts I - III, then maybe Just Another Band From LA, Live in New York orLive at the Fillmore.

Introductory Guitar God Zappa album: Shut up and Play Your Guitar, then maybe the rest of that series.

Introductory Grateful Dead album: Europe '72, then maybe Reckoning.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2006, 06:36:50 am »

See, I'd say that the Unified Introductory Zappa Theory would involve handing someone "Joe's Garage".

It's both "serious" and "funny", has a narrative through-line to carry a new listener...

And "Watermelon in Easter Hay" is pretty much the most beautiful guitar solo ever.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2006, 07:04:20 am »

I have never been able to listen to any Zappa track that wasn't "my guitar wants to kill your mamma."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2006, 07:25:46 am »

Zappa, after you've heard Hot Rats, I gotta go with Apostrophe.  I don't remember why, though, been awhile since I heard it.

Also, one could do worse than to be introduced to the jazz genre with Dave Brubeck's Take Five.
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2006, 07:59:21 am »

I learned recently from a friend that that song is called "Take Five." I feel like this makes my life a little more complete.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2006, 08:10:16 am »

I once heard the strangest, most literal covers of "Take Five" ever...

There was actually a chorus of female back-up singers, singing "Take Fiiiiiiiiiiiiive, take fiiiiiiiiiiiive".

I really thought it was a joke.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up