Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Introductory Album Thread  (Read 22997 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2006, 02:01:49 pm »

See, I'd say that the Unified Introductory Zappa Theory would involve handing someone "Joe's Garage".

It's both "serious" and "funny", has a narrative through-line to carry a new listener...

And "Watermelon in Easter Hay" is pretty much the most beautiful guitar solo ever.

I can't disagree with anything you've said.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2006, 05:38:42 pm »

I can't disagree with anything you've said.

Absolutely. I suspect it was that track in particular that made me want to play guitar. I listened to that album far too much as a child.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2006, 08:34:55 pm »

Quote from: slink
I suspect it was that track in particular that made me want to play guitar.

Interestingly, one of my dream projects (if I'm ever successful in the entertainment industry) revolves around the Zappa family's request that "Watermelon in Easter Hay" never be covered. An anthology of three short films about the difficulty of making it in the arts, broken up and bookended by four smaller scenes concerning two directors having lunch at a cheap diner, scheming over how to steal and use the song and use it in a very commerical project.

I also wrote a play in high school that was heavily influenced by a combination of "Joe's Garage" and an un-nuanced teenage interpretation of the works of Kurt Vonnegut. Happily, all traces of this play are long destroyed.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2006, 11:23:51 pm »

Oh whoops, I meant Time Out.  Time Out is the Brubeck album with Take Five.  The entire album is cool jazz in non-standard time signatures, hence Take Five being in 5/4.  That clever jew.
Logged
ACHIEVE

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2006, 05:38:28 am »

I also wrote a play in high school that was heavily influenced by a combination of "Joe's Garage" and an un-nuanced teenage interpretation of the works of Kurt Vonnegut. Happily, all traces of this play are long destroyed.

A little green rosetta er, can of Dr. Pepper for this.

Also, a tiny little chip of ice nine.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

thedudeabides85

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 60
  • Say good things about my dick
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2006, 11:10:22 am »

I'm really looking to get into Audioslave.  Any recommendations?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2006, 12:21:43 pm »

My uncle Phil introduced me to the Mothers at the Fillmore East album when I was in high school, along with the double CD of Apostrophe' and Overnight Sensation.

Since then I've been looking for a camarillo brillo.

Speaking of that song, there's a line "she had grey-green skin, a doll with a pin" but I always thought it was "a dog with a fin" and to this day I like that image better.

"Oh, it's a, it's a shitzu, isn't it?  I, I dig the fin."

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2006, 01:56:16 pm »

I'm really looking to get into Audioslave.  Any recommendations?

Is this a joke?  I can't tell.  They only have three albums, one of which just came out and I haven't heard yet.  Of the other two, I like the first one better (the one with "Like a Stone" on it).

They sound pretty much exactly like Rage Against the Machine if Chris Cornell sang for them instead of Zach de la Rocha.  No surprises.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2006, 02:35:24 pm »

Is this a joke?  I can't tell.  They only have three albums, one of which just came out and I haven't heard yet.  Of the other two, I like the first one better (the one with "Like a Stone" on it).

They sound pretty much exactly like Rage Against the Machine if Chris Cornell sang for them instead of Zach de la Rocha.  No surprises.

No surprises, but Cornell's voice is always worth it, and Zach was getting kind of  boring with Rage. That said, Cornell is in my mind better doing other stuff. Even so, I agree the first album's the best, the third second best and the middle one not as good.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

thedudeabides85

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 60
  • Say good things about my dick
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2006, 03:58:06 pm »

Yeah I was just joking, actually.  I'd been under the impression they only released one album; I've supplemented whatever time I used to spend keeping up with mainstream music with afternoons of Quantum Leap reruns in HD.

I don't mean to diss on Chris Cornell though. His songwriting's become kinda vacuous, but that boy has chops.  Yes I'm an 80 year old black man from the South; I can say that people "have chops."
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2006, 05:15:25 pm »

I'm really looking to get into Audioslave.  Any recommendations?

Dont.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2006, 08:11:49 pm »

I'm really looking to get into Audioslave.  Any recommendations?

Do yourself a favor and get Badmotorfinger instead. That's my Introductory Soundgarden Album, if anyone asks.
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2006, 08:27:36 pm »

Yeah, instead of Audioslave, you're better off listening to Soundgarden's Superunknown and Rage Against The Machine's Evil Empire simultaneously.
Logged
ACHIEVE

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2006, 08:29:38 pm »

Badmotorfinger.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The Introductory Album Thread
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2006, 04:09:41 pm »

I've got a good one here, and it's a doozy.

Born to Run or Born in the USA?
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up