Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Act (09-22-03)  (Read 6700 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
The Act (September 22nd)
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2003, 05:14:42 am »

Upon further review, I have to wonder what kind of self-conscious Pat must be since not ONLY does he have a chain lock on the bathroom door, he doesn't take a CORDLESS in there while he is on hold? Weird dude.

Hilarious though.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
The Act (September 22nd)
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2003, 05:19:43 am »

And honestly -- who has an opinion strong enough on the "how much should barbers be paid" topic to stay on the phone long enough? It might be permissible were Pat a barber, but...

Then again, the idea of Pat severely inconveniencing himself just to complain about the overpayment of someone in the service professions is entirely character-appropriate.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
The Act (September 22nd)
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2003, 08:01:38 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
he doesn't take a CORDLESS in there while he is on hold?


I don't even do that!
I'm always too worried that it'll get picked up while I'm in the act. And that would be unpleasant for all involved. Although given who I'm phoning if I get put on hold that probably wouldn't be such a bad thing.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
The Act (September 22nd)
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2003, 05:02:03 pm »

Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
The Act (September 22nd)
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2003, 05:13:07 pm »

Now there's the difference between me and Slink. I'd take the cordless in there and during the conversation. I've done this to customer service people and telemarketers more than once. I guess the thing is, the other sounds they might here - distant tinkling, say or changes in your breathing or reaching while holding the phone to your ear with your shoulder - aren't specific enough but they sitting there thinking "what is he doing" and then comes the flush that, for some of them, indicates the worst case scenario.

It's usually pretty funny and it often kind of conveys just how much respect I have for them. Quoth Homer Simpson in the Thomas Edison episode: "Let's just say I'm sitting in the RIGHT CHAIR".
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The Act (September 22nd)
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2003, 05:52:51 pm »

I've talked to my friends while peeing. I'm just careful with the mute button.

I did have a customer service person question the noises on my end of the phone once because I was at work and my barcode scanner was beeping. She thought the beeps meant I was recording the conversation.

Also, Aloha, what's with your title? It's freaking me out.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
The Act (September 22nd)
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2003, 06:00:34 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Now there's the difference between me and Slink. I'd take the cordless in there and during the conversation.


I guess I just like to feel superior when I'm ranting at those kinda guys. And somehow, what with me rarely using the mute button, they'd notice. And I don't think me saying I was filling a filter jug would work.
It's not like I have some weird issue about wizzing in front of people btw. I prefer not to if possible...

Anyway, I'm sooo going to stop talking!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
The Act (September 22nd)
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2003, 07:04:50 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
distant tinkling, say or changes in your breathing or reaching while holding the phone to your ear with your shoulder - aren't specific enough but they sitting there thinking "what is he doing" and then comes the flush that, for some of them, indicates the worst case scenario.

It's usually pretty funny and it often kind of conveys just how much respect I have for them. Quoth Homer Simpson in the Thomas Edison episode: "Let's just say I'm sitting in the RIGHT CHAIR".


This is not at all true - as a person who works on the phone all day, I can tell you that I always know what's going on in the background.  I never call out to people - they call in to me, so it's really mindblowing they think it's okay to take a dump while initiating a business transaction like transfering thousands of dollars.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
The Act (September 22nd)
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2003, 07:24:23 pm »

Maybe you are more perceptive than your average telemarketer. Or you are dealing with people who are, well, either assholes or respect you not at all. Generally if I initiate the call, I don't take the telly into the loo - and I generally don't 'attempt' to make undue noise. It takes away from the 'shock and awe' of the flush. Maybe they are testing you.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
The Act (September 22nd)
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2003, 07:26:10 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Also, Aloha, what's with your title? It's freaking me out.


Which title do you mean?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The Act (September 22nd)
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2003, 10:43:11 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Also, Aloha, what's with your title? It's freaking me out.


Which title do you mean?


Earlier today it was "Wow, 187 posts!" or something to that effect. Now it's Chucklebot
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
The Act (September 22nd)
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2003, 01:54:19 am »

I have no clue! It's been chucklebot for quite some time, and I don't think I can change the title. Maybe they have something coded just for 187 and then back to Chucklebot. The board administrators, like the Gods on Olympus, are whimsical and enjoy toying with us mere mortals.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
The Act (September 22nd)
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2003, 01:55:42 pm »

Let me stress that I am NOT a telemarketer - calling people in their homes is pure evil and I do not make business with any companies who try this on me.  I understand that people take these jobs when they are desparate and sympathise however.

I'm probably more attentive to these noises because my job is boring and what's going on on the other end of the phone is often more interesting.  I remember once I could hear the Simpson's on the the back ground of someone's call from home and had difficulty not laughing.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up