Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Poll

Do you wear fragrance? What's your favorite (post below)?

Yes, daily or often
Yes, sometimes or rarely
No
No, it gives me migraines/allergies
No, soap & deodorant are good enough.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby  (Read 27437 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #135 on: October 03, 2007, 03:50:28 am »

Just slightly off topic: re fragrance... my work place went sense free in September.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #136 on: October 03, 2007, 05:23:28 am »

Just slightly off topic: re fragrance... my work place went scent free in September.  It's sort of impossible.  Everything has a scent.  They don't even make a scent free laundry detergent for my HE washing machine, and damned if I'm gonna ruin my $1000 washing machine for someone else's problem.  I know that's insensitive... but seriously.  I'm not one of those people who uses much stuff in my grooming, I almost never wear perfume at work so that's no sacrifice...  but now I'm supposed to go out and buy all new scent free products?  It seems unreasonable.  I've just been kind of hoping the lady with the issues doesn't sniff me.  I feel really bad that she's sick, yet I also feel that this is one of those situations where one can't ask the world to change...  Am I a jerk?

See, This is interesting. I feel the same way about the sudden explosion of 'companion animals' for neurotic people. People come into the post office with a dog. The dog is wearing some kind of little apron thing that says it's a working dog. The individual with the dog is not blind, or deaf, or has any kind of mobility or reaching problem. When I politely ask the person to leave the dog outside, I am told that the dog has to be allowed because the individual has a 'disability', that being that they are too insecure to leave the house or conduct daily business without the dog.

What crap. There are way more people in the world afraid of dogs for real reason than there are people who 'need' these dogs for fake reasons, and even more people in the world with allergies to dogs, possibly even severe allergies...so why should those people be compelled to be exposed to an element that is not a normal part of their experiences in the name of one person who really needs therapy and/or meds?

I also can't stand the whole 'no smells' thing. I'd love to dictate the terms of my environment everywhere I go, but I just can't. This whole tyranny of the minority thing is catching on a little too well.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #137 on: October 03, 2007, 05:25:53 am »

What is the nature of this person's sickness? Is it mild allergies, or more of an "oh fuck i just got nose cancer" kind of thing?

Because that's what it wold take for me to give up on the Sex Panther.

I also can't stand the whole 'no smells' thing.


What we need more of is smells.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #138 on: October 03, 2007, 07:28:07 am »

and
I just... I really don't understand how selling perfume which is in short supply for a lot of money is unethical. if there is something people want, and you have it, and it is a purely luxury item... why not charge the most you can? Again, if it were Medicine or Basic Foodstuffs or something, this would definitely be unethical. But, it's not. It's perfume.

We've been through this. Concert tickets are luxury nonessential items, but it's still illegal/unethical for people to scalp them. These people are douches who are trying to profit in a douchely manner. It's not illegal for them to do it, and there's a sucker born every minute. The guy who was selling Sarrasins (newest Lutens parfum) at $310 didn't sell a single bottle, dropped it to $275... didn't sell...the douche is still trying to sell them at $245 a bottle. We'll see if anyone is stupid enough to pay it. They're bottles from "his personal collection" and he can dispose of them as he sees fit...but the guy's still a fuck*ng douche scalper. Fuck him for trying to hold me over a barrel for my favorite nearly-impossible-to-get luxury nonessential item on earth. A-CAP is partially right, Monsieur Lutens is partially responsible for having his bullshit export/non-export policies to begin with. Then again, people also scalp Frédéric Malle parfum for insane prices on eBay, and you can buy any Malle perfume here in the United States are Barney's New York.

What is the nature of this person's sickness? Is it mild allergies, or more of an "oh fuck i just got nose cancer" kind of thing?

Because that's what it wold take for me to give up on the Sex Panther.
 
What we need more of is smells.

Sex Panther. 60% of the time, it works every time. CAN'D.

Also, that's a bunch of bullshit, smells. I can't believe it. Asking people to buy hypoallergenic detergents and shit is just over the fuck*ng line. If she is that sensitive, then Bubble Girl should stay inside her protective fuck*ng bubble. Heinous. Some guy on another board was incredulous when I mentioned taking my cats to Alaska. He was all, "Is it LEGAL for you to take animals on a passenger plane?" He replied that he was violently allergic and claims he went into anaphylatic shock when he was traveling on a train where a woman brought a dog on board. Therefore, in his mind, it should be illegal. Dude, I am sorry that you are allergic to everything, but damn. Life goes on around you.

See, This is interesting. I feel the same way about the sudden explosion of 'companion animals' for neurotic people. People come into the post office with a dog. The dog is wearing some kind of little apron thing that says it's a working dog. The individual with the dog is not blind, or deaf, or has any kind of mobility or reaching problem. When I politely ask the person to leave the dog outside, I am told that the dog has to be allowed because the individual has a 'disability', that being that they are too insecure to leave the house or conduct daily business without the dog.

That is SO WEIRD! I didn't know that people could get those dogs! What the hell! I should be able to cart Milan and Lennybruce around with me as "companion cats"!!! ;) heh... just kidding...
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #139 on: October 03, 2007, 11:50:30 am »

First of all, in thinking about what I was going to say, I thought about my connection to you people; Achewood.  See, it seems like some of you dig on the nice things and I dig on the drugs, so, in our creators name, who digs on nice things and drugs (maybe in the past more so) lets just agree to not yell at me and I won't yell at you.  I was just kind of thinking you know.  This thread, it is the same about a thread about drugs.  Yeah, they are a waste of money and yeah they make us feel nice blah blah blah (i like nice things too, but more nice stereo equipment and instruments and computers and, well, you know).  I guess what I am trying to say is that everything we do, basically to make ourselves happy, which, at least in this giant corporation that we call society, usually involves a purchase, or did at one point, is silly and basically illogical, if not in direct opposition to the easiest, healthiest life.


Anyways, to the point.  I basically was just going to say that I think Luten is a shrewd businessman.  I mean, maybe the stuff wouldn't sell as well without the exclusiveness part and from the way you described it, Ebay seems to be packed with the stuff, so you know, they are buying that from him.  I think you can see what I am saying.  I think you should probably replace shrewd with honest.  I mean, if he opened his sales, maybe you (or others if not) would not want it, blah.

You even said that in the sentence before the shrewd one.  Maybe I am just being semantic, but, basically I think it is all Lutens fault and, if an artist is too good to take your money, why throw it at them?  That is the part that isn't semantics.

He won't allow anyone else to sell it, does not sell it wholesale, and does not ship outside the EU.

Some things are best left to untraditional markets...but I feel that generally, the artist should profit from their art, which is why I have a huge problem with these fugs on eBay getting fat off M. Lutens' creations. Part of it is Lutens' fault for having such a tight stranglehold on his brand in order to create the "exclusivity" hype. If Lutens is a shrewd businessman, he will sell outside the EU and put the eBay vultures out of business.


Again, I am sure he knows full well what he is doing.



Also, that Autodesk thing, is the guy using the customer key and then selling just a disk that is not usable?  That is kind of what it sounded like, based only on what you said.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #140 on: October 03, 2007, 12:44:56 pm »

Scentless is some sort of Platonic Ideal.

I remember reading somewhere that products labelled 'unscented' actually have a scent added to negate the inherent smells of the ingredients.

Asking coworkers to change all their personal care products for your convenience is probably going too far. But I hope we can agree that if we can smell your perfume from the next cube or when walking past you on the subway, you should cut it out.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #141 on: October 03, 2007, 01:03:25 pm »

We're not allowed to have any kind of deodorizers in our bathrooms at work because of one women who has some kind of respiratory problem. (We can't have them in the men's room because that would be unfair, apparently.) So this woman can't leave the building without this fancy painter's-style mask. They even replaced some of the plants in the lobby because of her.

Everyday her husband picks her up from work, and he sits in the car smoking while he waits for her.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #142 on: October 03, 2007, 01:23:05 pm »

It's actually the head of the theatre (the artistic director) who has the problem, and I should state that she is lovely and kind and considerate of everyone else's needs on a really high level.

I can't remember her diagnosis, something long: "multi-scent sensitivity disorder" I think is what I was told.  We are indeed "scent free:" so says the sign on our doors, so we have been told to be at all staff meetings.  She actually goes up to people and sniffs them, then if what she sniffs bothers her she tells them they have to change it.  Our general manager tells her she isn't allowed to do this, but it doesn't seem to stop her.  And I hate to say it, but it seems to be something that bothers her during stressful conversations with people who she's talking to.  It seems almost like a twisted power play.  I want to be sympathetic, but the whole thing smacks of hypochondria brought on by a very high stress job. 

As for the dog thing, I totally agree with you AD.  The only situation I can see where a dog is necessary other than for deaf/blind assistance is those seizure sensing dogs.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #143 on: December 02, 2007, 08:28:44 am »

Yo, LFM, here is some perfume for the Area lover that you are (Soft core porn for others: NSFW)

http://www.riechmichund.com/index_2.html
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #144 on: December 02, 2007, 08:32:58 am »

Is there an aftershave version called Aquavulva?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #145 on: December 02, 2007, 08:34:46 am »

Man, I wish I would have put www.smellmeand.com as the url.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #146 on: December 02, 2007, 04:51:09 pm »

It's actually the head of the theatre (the artistic director) who has the problem, and I should state that she is lovely and kind and considerate of everyone else's needs on a really high level.

I can't remember her diagnosis, something long: "multi-scent sensitivity disorder" I think is what I was told.  We are indeed "scent free:" so says the sign on our doors, so we have been told to be at all staff meetings.  She actually goes up to people and sniffs them, then if what she sniffs bothers her she tells them they have to change it.  Our general manager tells her she isn't allowed to do this, but it doesn't seem to stop her.  And I hate to say it, but it seems to be something that bothers her during stressful conversations with people who she's talking to.  It seems almost like a twisted power play.  I want to be sympathetic, but the whole thing smacks of hypochondria brought on by a very high stress job.

Man, who the fuck appointed her to be the Scent Gestapo? That's the most passive-aggressive bullshit I've ever heard. UGH!!!! I'd go postal or quit if I had to put up with another mega-bitch such as that lady.

Keith, I heard about Vulva perfume on a perfumista site that I used to frequent. There are a TON of vulva-themed perfumes out there. My problem with that site is that it requires me to click on a button that says I am over 18 and I enjoy "juicy erotic". WTF?

Also, there are a TON of "naughty" perfumes out there, but I can't remember if this particular "Vulva" was the first, specially marketed vaginal scent. And yes, it does appear that their target demographic is men who are typing with one hand. You wouldn't scent a rose with rose perfume, if you get my drift.

Other "shocking" perfumes include Agent Provocateur, Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange, and Kingdom by Alexander McQueen. There are others that smell extremely animalic (they have a lot of civet in them), like Muscs Koublai Khan by Serge Lutens and Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent.

Perfume and marketing are a strange sort.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 06:04:09 pm by linnea »
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #147 on: January 21, 2008, 11:05:02 pm »

I like that new commercial for the Sarah Jessica Parker perfume. It makes me laugh and laugh.

I heard this on NPR this evening, and had to give this thread a bump:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18238465.  (Audio available after 7 PM tonight.) 

Apparently, some dude wrote a book about perfume, and one of the stories he tells in the interview is about Sarah Jessica Parker making her first signature scent. 

Even Pedro found it interesting, so...though you guys might. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #148 on: January 21, 2008, 11:09:45 pm »

Sarah Jessica Parker is hilarious... for all the wrong reasons.

Good Lord, what an unattractive lady. There is nothing wrong with being unattractive, of course, everyone should be happy but... man, I can't think of a homelier person whose success is more based on the fradulent claim that she is attractive than Sarah Jessica Parker.

Oh man.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #149 on: January 21, 2008, 11:15:40 pm »

Oh, come on LFM. You can't deny her teenage hotness in That 80's Movie With all the Teen Girls, whatever it was called.

*edit* Girls Just Want to Have Fun. Also, on re-evaluation, my statement may have been a little hasty. She wasn't exactly hawt, but she did have a certain youthful appeal. Which has disappeared now that she is no longer youthful. I think my memories of this movie may have been tainted by the fact that I last saw it when I was a teenager.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 11:25:49 pm by lprkn »
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up