Allow me to begin:
I went to Wal-Mart at around 11:30 last night to buy some shit. I had some quarters given to me by someone else to use to buy them raisins (don't ask) and a few twenties of my own to spend on things I wanted.
After around an hour of browsing, I checked out. I had the raisins subtotaled and paid with quarters, and then paid for a laptop bag (which the cashier looked inside), some socks, a shirt, gloves, and a hat. The gloves were important because I have Reynauds'- in cold temperatures, my circulation in my extremities drops like a rock, and getting into a cold car is extremely painful for me, especially touching the wheel. So, I bought some gloves, and put them on after taking my receipt and bags from the cashier. That way, my hands could be toasty warm all the way to the car, and inside it too! All was calm and pleasant. I was a smiling sunbeam.
Walking to the door, I was detained by the old receipt checkers. Like any person who has read about walmart and receipt checkers online, I refused to show it. Plus, I was heavily fuck*ng loaded with three bags of stuff, the gloves were insulated and too bulky to do anything requiring dexterity such as reaching inside my very tight pocket for the receipt which was under my wallet, and I didn't want to take them off. I said no, and kept walking. The receipt lady dashed to the door and physically barred me from leaving. I tried and she wouldn't let me past.
She wasn't just standing in my way, she was spreading out and emanating body language vibes that were basically identical to Gandalf getting all "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" on my ass. The other guy was to my right, and to my left was the wall. I was cornered and he was moving in closer on me trying to get into my bags.
I said that I wanted to leave and she said no, she had to see my receipt. I said no, you DON'T, and I don't want to take my gloves off to get it. The old guy (and I LIKED the old guy. I see him almost every time I go in and I always smile and say hi, because I AM NOT AN ASSHOLE AND I DONT INTENTIONALLY FUCK WITH OLD PEOPLE SUPPLEMENTING THEIR SOCIAL SECURITY CHECKS BUT GOD. DAMN.) raised his radio, nonverbally threatening to summon the authorities. I started to feel tight pain in my chest (I have angina) and the space around me began to feel tighter and tighter. I tried to get past the lady without touching her but she physically blocked the door and grabbed my bags or my arm (I don't remember which but I know my arm was at least brushed). The old guy raised his radio higher and I told them to call the police if they wanted to stop me. She looked at the old guy and in a mean voice said "look inside his bag" (the laptop bag). I told them that they could not look inside the bag, it was checked by the cashier and it was now my property. The pain in my chest increased and I knew that if I didn't get out of there it would get worse and I would have breathing difficulties.
With great difficulty, I pulled my right glove off and giraffeed out the receipt. The old guy DIDN'T EVEN COMPARE IT TO MY ITEMS and just marked it with a pen, then handed it back. The woman was about to let me leave but I was pissed and held the laptop bag out to her and insisted that she check it, with a 'fuck*ng' thrown in for good measure. She didn't want to anymore but I insisted and she opened it up and looked through it and stuck it back in my bag, then she gave me the receipt (having taken it from the guy? I didn't see) and I stuck it in my pocket and pulled my glove back on. At this point I was FINALLY allowed to leave.
My plan is to file suit with Wal-Mart and collect the ~10k their insurance company will belch out, split it with the lawyer, and spend the rest of the money somewhere OTHER than wal-mart.
There's nothing I love more than screwing that company, unless it's screwing one of their cashiers. Hah.
Knowing that I had NOTHING to be detained over, I would have stuck around for security and hopefully cops to show up. I know for a fact that if I was arrested over this that I could get that 10k out of them easily, but I was afraid for my own health and felt like I had to comply to avoid having a medical emergency.
I can get a doctor to check me out and verify my health claims. (reynauds, angina, etc)
Alright, it is now 9 am and I am going out to find myself a fearsome attack lawyer in a town of 16,000 people. There should be at least one. Hopefully I don't have to go into the next largest city. I figure the extent of this will be one (1) lawyer letter to wal-mart, followed by an offer back for me to settle before court. Even then, I want one that'll go for the gold on contingency basis.