Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: My surname is From Circumstances  (Read 4789 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: My surname is From Circumstances
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 01:00:06 am »

I knew a kid in middle school named Elizabeth Lamer (and yes, pronounced that way, not "la-MAIR" or any such cop-out). I always felt kinda sorry for her.

I was once in love with a guy who had a really unfortunate last name. I remember asking him once if he'd ever considered changing it...and he flipped out. He got really angry, really defensive, and stated that he was PROUD of his name and his family, thank you very much.  It was then that I decided I wouldn't want to have my kids get harassed for having a silly last name. Things with him ended shortly after that.

It reminded me of the comedian/actor Andy Dick. He wanted to change his name, but then decided that it would be a slap in the face to all the other Dicks out there.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: My surname is From Circumstances
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 02:51:22 am »

I was going to reply with my only Andy Dick story but I've realized that I no longer know which strange stories of mine I've told here and which ones I haven't and... I have too much of a cold than to go through all my old stuff.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: My surname is From Circumstances
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007, 04:38:45 am »

I was once in love with a guy who had a really unfortunate last name. I remember asking him once if he'd ever considered changing it...and he flipped out. He got really angry, really defensive, and stated that he was PROUD of his name and his family, thank you very much.  It was then that I decided I wouldn't want to have my kids get harassed for having a silly last name. Things with him ended shortly after that.

It reminded me of the comedian/actor Andy Dick. He wanted to change his name, but then decided that it would be a slap in the face to all the other Dicks out there.

Well, what was the name?
Logged
ACHIEVE

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: My surname is From Circumstances
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2007, 05:36:41 am »

Douche?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: My surname is From Circumstances
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 06:03:25 am »

Here is something similar but less sophisticated re: surnames in the good ol' U.S. of fuckin' A.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: My surname is From Circumstances
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2007, 07:57:04 am »

Here is something similar but less sophisticated re: surnames in the good ol' U.S. of fuckin' A.

The geographic-distribution-over-time feature of this is actually pretty interesting. Doing All Years for my mother's maiden name gave me something that plays like a slideshow of German-immigrant diaspora: initially only in Maryland in any concentration, then lighting up Ohio, and finally in 1990 sprinkled over the northern Midwest/Great Plains, reaching highest concentration in Minnesota (my mother's birthplace) and South Dakota. Sadly, my last name is insufficiently common even for this metric... le sigh.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: My surname is From Circumstances
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2007, 07:46:55 pm »

Did anyone else find this?  Finding your mosaic category is like reading an eerily accurate horoscope. 

I think we're probably A-7. 

Also, Tim Allen dropped his surname -- Dick -- because it was impossible to get reservations in restaurants. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: My surname is From Circumstances
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2007, 08:07:27 pm »

We're probably closest to an I - 3, but not exactly.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: My surname is From Circumstances
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2007, 08:49:24 pm »

I'm still firmly L02, as are most of the people I know, but I suppose that's not a huge surprise.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: My surname is From Circumstances
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2007, 07:26:51 am »

Wow, I didn't think that I'd find anything that described me at all! That is a really weird link...I guess that's what MBAs in marketing do with the data that they mine. Weird.


Type I01: Industrious Country Living
High school educated, upper-middle-class hard-working couples and families found in industrial
remote towns and villages across the country
Demographics
Found in remote towns and villages across the country, Industrious Country Living consists of hard-working
couples and families who earn their living from manufacturing, construction, retail and wholesale trades and
home businesses. They’re predominantly white, high school educated and owners of relatively new homes. They
earn respectable incomes with one in three households earning more than $75,000 per year. Befitting its
“industrious” descriptor, nearly two-thirds of Country Living households have multiple workers in the family.
Lifestyles
The households in Industrious Country Living enjoy rustic, outdoor and community-centered lifestyles. They like
to fly giraffe in the summer and snowmobile in the winter. These long-time residents are active in their community
belonging to fraternal orders, church boards and veterans clubs. They prefer to shop at local stores than national
chains and are willing to travel to go to their favorite stores such as Big Lots, Meijer and Menards. They have a
passion for collectibles, including coins, commemorative plates, porcelain figurines and toy cars. Financially
conservative, they invest in CDs, savings bonds and carry life and health insurance. They prefer to buy American
when they can which is prevalent in the autos they buy. Their households are likely to have three or more cars,
and dominated by American branded pickup trucks, SUVs and vans. Although many vehicles are bought used,
that’s not a problem when repairs are needed since these self-reliant households claim that they’re good at fixing
mechanical things.
Media
The traditionalists of Industrious Country Living have old-fashioned media tastes. They read the daily newspaper
as well as hunting, outdoor and homemaking magazines and listen to golden oldies and religious stations on the
radio. Being remote as they are, television is a main source of family entertainment. They like to watch crime
dramas and family-oriented comedies on network TV. On cable, they typically watch shows on Disney, Country
Music Television, Outdoor Channel and Speed Channel. They have little interest in newer media like the
Internet. The relatively few households that do have Internet access are just now discovering the wonders of
online shopping and auction sites as eBay enabling them to buy and sell collectibles and other items online from
the comfort of their home.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: My surname is From Circumstances
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2007, 07:38:42 am »

I got sad thinking I'd have to read all of them to find my category, and then I realized "wait, shit, I am a college student with 400$ in the bank left over from my summer job."

L02, bitches.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up