Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"  (Read 11817 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2007, 12:46:28 am »

All I really have to say about this strip: yeah. I'm in the middle of the worst depressive streak I've ever had right now, and this strip is exactly my life. Several times this week I have needed to run errands and not done it because the concept of running errands has been terrifying, and why not just stay in bed?

Anyway, I don't want to turn into one of those people who just talks about their depression, but this is a very good strip.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2007, 12:59:04 am »

Aw, V, have a can. Maybe it will make you feel a little better. Someone gave me a can today and it made me feel a little better about the day's failures.  Oh god, that's pathetic, isn't it.

Speaking of failures, today I came across a website of a literary agent who claimed Onstad as one of his clients. And I was all, "Oh wouldn't it be cool to have the same agent" and shot off a query. Only later did I realize that perhaps I should have considered the fact that apparently this agent has not yet been able to actually place any of Onstad's work with a publisher. 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2007, 01:22:58 am »

Aw, V, have a can. Maybe it will make you feel a little better. Someone gave me a can today and it made me feel a little better about the day's failures. 

Tiny cans for both of you!!!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2007, 01:23:42 am »

Anyway, I don't want to turn into one of those people who just talks about their depression, but this is a very good strip.

You just got a can but please don't get depressed about that.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2007, 01:26:13 am »

(just to clarify, my tossing of the can was triggered by the nonchalance of the, er, sentence I quoted, which I felt deserved some (a lot) of credit if this is depression-depression we're talking about here, and not the type that the tossing of a can would help.)
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2007, 01:48:10 am »

All I really have to say about this strip: yeah. I'm in the middle of the worst depressive streak I've ever had right now, and this strip is exactly my life. Several times this week I have needed to run errands and not done it because the concept of running errands has been terrifying, and why not just stay in bed?

Anyway, I don't want to turn into one of those people who just talks about their depression, but this is a very good strip.

Replace "depressive" with "anxiety attack" and... you and I are on the same page, Vee.

The collective subcon is doing backflips and we're a lot of us getting kicked around.

But at least I know I can give you a tiny portion of fizzy prune soda in recompense, at least, at least.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

vivouk

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 19
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 88
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2007, 02:08:37 am »

The strip is one of the saddest and most brilliant things I have read. The posts are interesting reading, it's really ace having informed discussion alongside each strip.
Logged

Johnny

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2007, 04:17:12 am »

Did anyone else have to come here to figure out what the last two panels were all about?

Maybe I was just overthinking things, but I was like "What are they looking at? Why are they surprised their basket is empty?" or whatever.
Logged

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2007, 05:19:35 am »

So, I have not wanted to do errands because it is cold? Is that... is that the same thing?
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2007, 06:14:50 am »

San Jacinto?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2007, 06:16:05 am »

yeah... I feel like not wanting to eat because it's cold shows some sort of essential human failing on my part.
also, sometimes I skip meals because I'm too lazy to make food/get food.

Sometimes, I think that this means that Natural Selection wants me to die.

but... it is so fuck*ng cold out. I only feel OK going outside when I have a couple of drinks in me.
And at that time, I say things like "I don't feel cold! Shit! Why don't I feel cold!"
until someone says "Daniel, fuck, it's because of the drinking."

I have major coldness issues. I am always wearing at least 1 layer more than most around me-- sometimes 2. Plus I wear my hat and scarf constantly. And then there are all these guys walking around in like 2 layers. Why are they not cold? Damn.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2007, 08:01:40 am »

I am the type of guy who will go get the mail in a t-shirt with no shoes on in the winter because it will take longer to put on a jacket and shoes.  Sometimes barefoot.  No, usually barefoot.

The cold is my friend.  Now, when it's really hot, that's when I don't want to go out.  Sweat monster time, no thanks.
Logged
~

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2007, 08:27:39 am »

Yeah, cold is a terrible thing.  I think my ideal temperature is about 85 or so, and when it's genuinely winter I feel like I just live on the wrong planet or something.  But don't worry, spring will come again. 
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2007, 12:52:31 pm »

So, I have not wanted to do errands because it is cold? Is that... is that the same thing?

Not unless you're just using the cold as a rationalization.  I didn't go somewhere because it was raining yesterday, but it was indoors, you know? I just didn't feel like facing the people.

(Thanks for the cans guys!)
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2007, 01:34:19 pm »

Yeah, I think the key to the depressive-behavior thing is that the reason for going out is irrational. If you're legitimately staying in because it's cold, that's reasonable, albeit maybe a little wussy. But if you're using the cold as an excuse not to go out because the thought of going out plunges you into a fit of fear or despair, or you're not even lying to yourself anymore and just admit that you're not going out because of fear/despair, that's depressive.

Belatedly -- thanks for the cans, guys. To explain my statement above: I'm the kind of person who always feels uncomfortable about making conversation in an altered neurochemical state that consists entirely of "hey, I'm in an altered neurochemical state!" Going around being depressed and only talking about my depression strikes me as the equivalent of those people who get drunk and loudly proclaim how drunk they are, except that I am rather less likely to wake up the next morning non-depressed and vaguely ashamed. (Well, okay, I'm likely to wake up ashamed, but, y'know.) I mean... to be blunt, it's on the same level as "dude, I am so drunk!" in that nobody really cares, and it is also frequently as obvious. When I'm eating one meal a day of whatever-comes-to-mind at an essentially random time, only sleeping between the hours of 10 AM and 6 PM, and leaving the apartment only after great deliberation, saying I'm depressed almost defines redundancy. (At least, it does to me. The other awkward thing is that, after a lifetime of being an Emotionally Stable Person, I face a general reaction of "why didn't you tell me?!" the instant I say anything. It's not that I don't trust you, Parents or High-School Best Friend or Roommate or Whoever I'm Telling Now, it's the fact that admitting this makes me feel like I'm going to throw up.)

... Well, that was hypocritical, huh? The other problem with talking about depression: you inevitably overshare. If one has to overshare about current neurochemical states, I'd rather it be about positive ones. "I am so drunk!" is almost okay if the drunk person is basically happy, and one of the best conversations I ever had with a college friend of mine took place after, after years of sexual frustration, he finally got laid and as a result was effusively happy about everything. It's fun to talk about how suddenly colors are brighter and the world contains an infinite capacity for joy.

So, how about that comic with the retarded otter? I'm a fan!
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up