Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Dog Has No Nose.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 5th of February, 2007 - A lot of people are calling bullshit on that Tostada  (Read 12016 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile

That right there's a can, son! I don't see a credit for that photo on Achewood...
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

I will bet that the entire strip wrote itself after seeing that image though.  Definitely a questionable tostada.  I am not a tostada expert, but that thing, especially in full color, is kind of disconcerting me.  Salad, perhaps.  But a tostada?
Logged
~

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile


I'd really like to get married and possibly have some biological or adopted offspring in the next 5-10 years, but I won't permit myself to buy Alaska Bride

I am somehow totally creeped out that there is an Alaska Bride magazine.  I had to check the website to make sure it didn't help you get mail-order spouses.  Maybe I exaggerate the isolation of the place in my mind, I admit.

Of course I am creeped out by the bridal-industrial complex anyway. So much assistance to help you spend so much unnecessary money.  As if that were the hard part of marriage.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

I am somehow totally creeped out that there is an Alaska Bride magazine.  I had to check the website to make sure it didn't help you get mail-order spouses.  Maybe I exaggerate the isolation of the place in my mind, I admit.

Of course I am creeped out by the bridal-industrial complex anyway. So much assistance to help you spend so much unnecessary money.  As if that were the hard part of marriage.

We actually bought a couple of the magazines for some handy charts of local reception locations and their rates. Of course we probably could've found this information for free online.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile

See, I was also taken aback by the idea of Alaska Bride.  I was imagining a really butch women in plaid, wearing a veil and like... gutting a giraffe on a tree stump.  I would subscribe to that magazine.  

Niche markets are so interesting.  Like "Just for Men" beard dye.  They advertise the hell out of that stuff, and I always wonder who they're trying to reach.  I mean, if you're embarrassed about the colour of our facial hair, why not shave it off?  So odd.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

Niche markets are so interesting.  Like "Just for Men" beard dye.  They advertise the hell out of that stuff, and I always wonder who they're trying to reach.  I mean, if you're embarrassed about the colour of our facial hair, why not shave it off?  So odd.

To paraphrase Red Green: because it's a beard, not a cocoon. Whatever unpleasantness you grew the beard to cover is still under there, still unpleasant and probably a lot more pale.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile

I think it's funny that onstad got a little dig in about intarwub forums.

Ray not only subscribes to Tostada Monthly, he cruises the associated internet forum. And what does it mean that Morgan Freeman's niece is a PA? Physician's Assistant? What does that have to do with tostadas?

Wait, maybe she's a Publisher's Assistant for Tostada Monthly?
Logged

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile

Prolly production assistant. It's an entry level serf type thing, regardless of the nomenclature.
Logged
We must repeat!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

smells! You reminded me!

Paul, let's say that i wanted to Wax this Shit up. Like maybe one day I wanted to look like Mr. Dali. What is a brand? Where do I buy it? I found all kinds of "Men's" hair-shaping products, but... I don't know.

I also found a product called Texture Dirt which really confused me.

There was also a little box of Bald-Head Wipes, Just for Men. Those were scary.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile

I also found a product called Texture Dirt which really confused me.

I think the idea behind this stuff is essentially the same as conditioner - you wash all the stinky oils and waxes out of your hair with shampoo, then rub on less offensive ones so your hair doesn't drift around in static-induced frizziness.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile

smells! You reminded me!

Paul, let's say that i wanted to Wax this Shit up. Like maybe one day I wanted to look like Mr. Dali. What is a brand? Where do I buy it? I found all kinds of "Men's" hair-shaping products, but... I don't know.

I also found a product called Texture Dirt which really confused me.

There was also a little box of Bald-Head Wipes, Just for Men. Those were scary.

As I said in my Hair-Washing thread, I'm a huuuuuge fan of Aveda hair wax called "Self Control." I use this stuff in tiny amounts to smooth down the frizz on my crazy Sicilian hair, which is curly and unruly. It needs something to weigh it down a little bit, or else it goes all over the place.

There's also a hair product called "Dirt" by Jonathan. I haven't tried it yet, though.

I guess that some hipsters want to wash their hair every day, but they want it to look like they haven't washed it?
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile

Oooh, inev.  You'd better watch out on that mustache wax or you might find yourself return-crushed! 

By a married lady! 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile

True story:  I went out seeking a Tostada yesterday, and ended up with a taco salad instead.  It was indeed bullshit.  And also it was $7.  What the hell?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

whoa, um...
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up