My mom is convinced that sitting on the side walk causes hemroids - this caused problems when I was little.
And also that if I stand too close to the curb when waiting to cross the street that I am basically destine to be killed. And also that if I don't lock my car door that a vagarent will come up to me when stopped at a light, and... I don't know... drag me out and take the car? And also that a guy will come up to me claiming to have a perfume sample, only it's actually aeither, then I'm uncounciously raped. And also that all my friends are only my friend because they are using me. And also... no, I need to stop this, or I could be here all day and night cataloguing for years and year.
What I am saying is that my mother believes anything and everything that she hears or makes up in her head that is wrong with the world is in fact wrong with the world. I know that there's a little of this in all of us, but my mother's got a fairly severe anxiety disorder. Sometimes the things she fears are really funny, but only in a sad sort of way because no matter how ridiculous they are, the awful truth is that she actually believes it all. One day I was driving her somewhere (she can't drive due to her illness) and a drunk guy was staggering around about 10 feet away. She was gasping and saying "lock your doors! Lock your doors!" and I asked why and she said something along the lines that he was going to come over and try to get in, or steal the car or something. I explained that if this were the case, I would drive away. She still wanted me to lock the doors, but by this point in the conversation we were driving along, several blocks away from the drunk man. She does this all the time. It's so irational that the last time she did this in my car I started laughing.