Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 155643 times)

0 Members and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #585 on: August 29, 2007, 02:23:58 pm »

Wow, my fantasy team and my favorite team are both in tailspins right now. At least over the past few weeks while the Fightin' Reanimated Reagans were beginning their steep decline, I could find comfort in the fact that the Mariners were kicking ass all over the AL. Now... not so much! They've both decided that it's time I look forward to the NBA season.

Yeah, that's right, the NBA. I might be the last white person in America who still prefers it over the NFL.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #586 on: August 29, 2007, 04:49:19 pm »

Yeah, that's right, the NBA. I might be the last white person in America who still prefers it over the NFL.
Basketball's problem is the opposite of soccer's: too much scoring.  They need to increase the size of the court, raise the basket, and allow zone defenses so the game becomes more than a series of windsprints and dunks.  The fact that an 18-year old can play pro ball indicates the demands of the game are too simple.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #587 on: August 29, 2007, 05:34:44 pm »

Well, they do allow zone defenses. And the only 18 year old to succeed in the NBA in the last ten years? LeBron James. Kind of a special case.

But I know the NBA's not for everyone. In fact, the amount of people it is for continues to dwindle -- but I don't think it's from lack of scoring. Look at the Phoenix Suns. They play a fast-paced game that's all about unselgiraffeness and teamwork... and they're the most entertaining team in the league because of it.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #588 on: August 29, 2007, 06:49:13 pm »

They've both decided that it's time I look forward to the NBA season.

Yeah, that's right, the NBA. I might be the last white person in America who still prefers it over the NFL.

Hey, don't feel bad about discussing the NBA in this thread - it is 'Pretend Sports', after all.

Heyoooooo!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #589 on: August 29, 2007, 06:57:38 pm »

Zing! This fuck*ng guy right here!!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #590 on: August 29, 2007, 09:01:43 pm »

all week - veal - tip waitresses.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #591 on: August 29, 2007, 09:49:15 pm »

Well, they do allow zone defenses. And the only 18 year old to succeed in the NBA in the last ten years? LeBron James. Kind of a special case.

Kobe, KG, Carmello Anthony (19), ...
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #592 on: August 29, 2007, 09:58:41 pm »

Kobe and KG were both more than 10 years ago and didn't exactly set the world on fire as 18 year olds. Carmelo, though,  is a much better example. I kind of forgot about him, what with him having played college basketball and all.

But the main point I'm trying to make is that the vast majority of 18 year olds can't really "play pro ball." If they're lucky, they'll turn into the aforementioned players. More likely, they'll turn into Martell Webster, Shaun Livingston, Sebastian Telfair, etc.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #593 on: August 30, 2007, 03:06:19 am »

FUCK YES LADIES. Hockey's onnnnn!

http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey/register/createjoin

Do we have an imaginary hockey league set up?
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #594 on: August 30, 2007, 04:44:30 am »

If you set one up, L-Money, I'm in.

I'll have to get the advice of my friend Mark who, like, actually knows stuff about hockey but I'm in.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #595 on: August 30, 2007, 05:00:40 am »

If you set one up, L-Money, I'm in.

I'll have to get the advice of my friend Mark who, like, actually knows stuff about hockey but I'm in.

I ain't know shit about violence ball, but I'm willing to learn.

Apparently you can change the settings later? Party people, let me know if something pisses you off and we'll see about fixin' it.

----------------------------------
You have been invited to join linnea1978's Custom League in Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Hockey.

In order to join the league, follow the link above or go to game front page, click the "Sign Up Now" or "Get Another Team" button and follow the links to "Join a Custom League". When prompted, enter the League ID# and password below.

League ID#: 15632
Password: linnea
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #596 on: August 30, 2007, 05:26:26 am »

I joined under the team name 'Sex Funeral'. Watch out, hockey world!

At this point, I should probably mention that I know literally nothing about hockey.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #597 on: August 30, 2007, 07:10:11 am »

I'm the Utica Devils... the minor league hockey team closest to where I grew up.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #598 on: August 30, 2007, 11:29:39 pm »

I am Tonya Harding Redux.

I was AWOL back when people were signing up for pretend football, so I'm happy to be able to get in on this, even if my only knowledge of hockey comes from watching "Mystery, Alaska."  I have a friend who's a huge Thrashers fan, so maybe I can get him to help me out.

Actually, does anybody who's signed up so far know anything about hockey?  It seems like everyone here has confessed their complete ignorance of the sport after joining.  This could make for an interesting season...
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #599 on: August 31, 2007, 01:58:05 am »

I hope I get Sammy Cosby.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 79   Go Up