Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Yay us!
Happy 9th Birthday to TOUAMB.

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 155689 times)

0 Members and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #600 on: August 31, 2007, 02:38:29 am »

I know a lot about hockey... like... such as in general?

But I know nothing about recent NHL.

It's, like, you gotta have a special digital cable package to watch the playoffs.

And apparently, there's teams in, like, Memphis and Tampa Bay and Columbus and Biloxi and Shreveport and Tijuana and the Azores and stuff.

But the general premise of hockey, sure.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #601 on: August 31, 2007, 03:14:54 am »

Thanks for joining, everyone!! How long do I have until I have to start the draft? The rules said that we have to have at least four teams and an even number before the draft gets going. Of course, I want to wait and make sure that everyone who wants in has a chance to join up. We have a maximum of twelve teams in our league.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #602 on: August 31, 2007, 03:45:35 am »

In the match-up between the Zombie Reagans and The Gilded Age, we have put up 12 starting pitchers between us. We have generated three wins between us.

In a league that, considering it is an eight-team league to begin with, is probably only dealing with the best 40-50 starters in the league to begin with, that is pretty amazing.

As for hockey, Lin, in my limited experience in these things, the more people you get in the league, the better. If it's just, like, four teams, everybody has basically an All-Star team and the only question is who out-amazings who.

The more people involved, the more the talent is spread out and the more strategy is the name of the game.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #603 on: August 31, 2007, 05:04:57 am »

The Zombie Reagans are hopeless. They're basically just limping into the playoffs like last year's Colts... or Cardinals. Okay, bad examples.

But Goddamnit, I'm proud of the hardships they've overcome. I've gone the entire season with one fewer roster spot than everyone else thanks to Chris Carpenter pitching basically two games all year. Good show, Zombie Reagans. Good show.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #604 on: August 31, 2007, 04:15:05 pm »

As for hockey, Lin, in my limited experience in these things, the more people you get in the league, the better. If it's just, like, four teams, everybody has basically an All-Star team and the only question is who out-amazings who.

The more people involved, the more the talent is spread out and the more strategy is the name of the game.

My family football league is down to 6 teams. It's absurd. I miss Grampa - he wasn't much of a competitor, but you could always load your team by making trades with him.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #605 on: August 31, 2007, 05:07:31 pm »

The Zombie Reagans are still gonna give me a run this week, 'lack.

Y'all got four guys starting Sunday, I got two... you have basestealers, I have given up on that category.

That essentially locks up wins, strikeouts and stolen bases for ya... and I have to think you've got enough good pitchers in that group to pull away from a dude in ERA and WHIP. Hit a few extra lucky home runs and you sink my battleship.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #606 on: September 02, 2007, 12:57:51 am »

Last day and a half of Pretend Regular Season Baseball!

I am fighting my damnedest to maintain the pretend regular season title or, failing that, the first-pretend-round playoff bye... but those Zombies are well-named, Zombies wabble but they don't fall down!

I have also decided that Justin Mourneau is a spy for one of my rivals... YOU HAVE DECIDED TO SLUMP AGAINST THE ROYALS BECAUSE YOU HATE ME, JUSTIN MOURNEAU!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #607 on: September 02, 2007, 01:41:45 am »

Last day and a half of Pretend Regular Season Baseball!

No shit? Huh.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #608 on: September 02, 2007, 10:58:39 pm »

My love of baseball has never extended to the realm of roto-sports.

I've never really even considered it. What's the appeal? Sell me on it.

I just wanted to drop this in here. It amuses me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #609 on: September 03, 2007, 01:22:37 am »

Interestingly enough, Nabu, I have run the numbers...

And I think I have clinched the regular season pretend baseball championship!

By one-and-one-half gamepoints.

Twenty-three weeks, ten potential gamepoints a week... two-hundred-and-thirty potential points?

And I got the first slot in the playoffs by 1.5 wins.

So... a dude did not dominate. A dude did not dominate at all.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #610 on: September 03, 2007, 01:58:15 am »

Interestingly enough, Nabu, I have run the numbers...

And I think I have clinched the regular season pretend baseball championship!

By one-and-one-half gamepoints.

Twenty-three weeks, ten potential gamepoints a week... two-hundred-and-thirty potential points?

And I got the first slot in the playoffs by 1.5 wins.

So... a dude did not dominate. A dude did not dominate at all.

I was just thinking:

A) You took to it like a duck to water, and
B) Now you are doomed to a life of fantasy sports.



Also, I think Dread might have knocked out the Ninjas at the last possible moment.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 04:17:48 am by Nabubrush drinks (a lot) »
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #611 on: September 03, 2007, 11:47:43 pm »

I suppose I did, at that.

But now I gotta figure out how one re-tools for playoff action.

I've already decided that a mediocre back-up catcher isn't really worth the roster spot in the post-season so that I could bolster my first-base depth considering Mourneau is tanking his goddamned little heart out right now.

Also, another starting pitcher seemed like a better idea than holding onto my worst reliever for the purposes of the counting-stats in a one-week playoff.

So now all I've got left is to figure out what I most need, statistically, out of a back-up SS and if I'm gonna have El Duque to start next week or if the Mets are gonna shut him down for three starts to save him for the playoffs and... I'm gonna have to just take the best starter off the FA wire and go with him.

I may, indeed, be doomed for life.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #612 on: September 04, 2007, 01:05:53 am »

With my roster having two spaces frozen by injured superstars, I have a lot less flexibility on my hands for the playoffs. That might just be a good thing, though, because I tried to shake things up a few weeks back and just ended up falling to a distant third. I was fine where I was, right on LFM's tail, but I got greedy. Oh well.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #613 on: September 04, 2007, 02:44:48 am »

I will not win another matchup but I made it to the playoffs.


Thank fuck.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #614 on: September 04, 2007, 02:49:56 pm »

Holy crap, I'm in the playoffs!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 79   Go Up