Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 156428 times)

0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #630 on: September 06, 2007, 06:52:58 am »

Yeah, seriously, I'm still pulling for the Mariners for the Wild Card due to my irrational hatred of the Yankees. Besides, I'm an Indians fan and I would love to see a rematch of the 95 ALCS (although Kenny Lofton can't steal home right in front of Randy Johnson while he was holding the ball this time, for two obvious reasons). Maybe the moose and slider can both be on crutches again, too.

Good times.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #631 on: September 06, 2007, 02:40:06 pm »

Today, in the heat of a playoff series, I have one guy playing. Four are listed in games, but two are injured and one's a starting pitcher who's not taking the mound. So that leave one: Russell Martin. You better play your goddamned heart out, you fat little catcher.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #632 on: September 06, 2007, 03:42:12 pm »

I have figured out, just in time to get eliminated, that too many of my players are on the same teams.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #633 on: September 06, 2007, 05:10:08 pm »

Honestly, Nabu?

This is probably why I won a lot of the points I did win...

Adjusting and readjusting and readjusting my line-up so that I could field nine at-least-decent hitters every day, sometimes at the expense of my batting average, just to accumulate the four "counting" hitting stats where you gain from sheer havin' guys play on any given day.

For the playoffs, of course, I am altering that strategy a bit so as to not immediately concede the AVG and SB stats in weeks that are now single-elimination... trading down powernumbers to have some basestealers on my bench and to have a firstbaseman who can hit for average if Mourneau is tanking hard...

But over the long haul of the season, figuring that out was probably 20-25% of my success.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #634 on: September 06, 2007, 11:10:30 pm »

yea, I recognized that, but, I really would prefer to have players I like on my team (to some extent).  That means alot of Red Sox.

Actually, if I could have my team would probably just be Mets and Red Sox with some cool players thrown in. 

I don't really have this problem in football, Redskins fans can't really hope to win with their favorite players.  Portis would certainly have a spot on my team though.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #635 on: September 06, 2007, 11:31:28 pm »

The problem with being a Mets fan in fantasy league stuff is that all the great players go super-quick because, like, they're the third-most covered team in the country... leaving you with guys who are washed-up to all hell (Shawn Green) still good in theory but injured so much that they're not worth anything on a fantasy team (LoDuca, Delgado, Alou) or young and great but Willie refuses to play young guys no matter how good they are (Gotay, Gomez, Milledge) because he learned how to manage from Joe Torre who learned how to manage from a guide to managing baseball from 18-fuck*ng-73.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #636 on: September 07, 2007, 01:31:31 am »

Thank the good lord Football season has finally arrived. 
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #637 on: September 07, 2007, 01:33:14 am »

I have no idea at what ratios I get points in this game... but... it seems that Marvin Harrison catching a touchdown is a good thing.

I only picked him because I remembered that he played for Syracuse back when Syracuse was not as terrible.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #638 on: September 07, 2007, 03:51:56 am »

Honestly, Nabu?

This is probably why I won a lot of the points I did win...

Adjusting and readjusting and readjusting my line-up so that I could field nine at-least-decent hitters every day, sometimes at the expense of my batting average, just to accumulate the four "counting" hitting stats where you gain from sheer havin' guys play on any given day.

I did this for maybe the first half of the season, and then I just got burned out with fuck*ng with it constantly.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #639 on: September 07, 2007, 05:00:21 am »

Apparently, Drew Brees is completely fuck*ng terrible.

I was not aware of this. I am not aware of many football things, it seems.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #640 on: September 07, 2007, 05:06:26 am »

Apparently, Drew Brees is completely fuck*ng terrible.

I was not aware of this. I am not aware of many football things, it seems.

No. Drew Brees isn't bad. Indy's D is underrated. Sean Payton is a fuck*ng pussy of a coach who doesn't go for it down 2 TDs with 10 minutes left on 4th and inches.

Remember, those are the World Champion Indianapolis Colts.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #641 on: September 09, 2007, 05:41:18 pm »

Roughly ten minutes before the start of the M's-Tigers game, I took a look at the matchup and decided I could afford to take a hit in the pitching counting stats if it meant preserving my lead in the average ones. So, I benched Felix Hernandez against the Tigers. After the first inning? He's already given up four runs. Dodged a motherfuck*ng bullet there.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #642 on: September 09, 2007, 10:14:13 pm »

Well I know we're only 2/3 of the way through the games in week one, but I think it's now safe to declare the NFC North the best division in the NFL.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #643 on: September 09, 2007, 10:35:17 pm »

My wife has already declared the league to be a threat to our marriage, when I explained why this Bears-Chargers game is so important to me.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #644 on: September 09, 2007, 10:48:47 pm »

It looks like my little "joke" has changed the fortune of the Bears. 

You're welcome, Nabu.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 79   Go Up