Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 156629 times)

0 Members and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #645 on: September 10, 2007, 12:45:15 am »

It looks like my little "joke" has changed the fortune of the Bears. 

You're welcome, Nabu.

Oh man was that a delicious game. Afterwards, they said they were going to talk to the winning QB, and then they showed Rivers. WTF? LT was the winning QB.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #646 on: September 10, 2007, 12:54:08 am »

Quote from: Gimpson
Well I know we're only 2/3 of the way through the games in week one, but I think it's now safe to declare the NFC North the best division in the NFL.

In the same period of time, it has become clear that I know nothing about the foosball.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #647 on: September 10, 2007, 02:08:37 am »

In my family league, I am gettin whipped 120 - 40.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #648 on: September 10, 2007, 02:38:15 am »

Okay, guys, the TOUAMBie Fantasy Hockey league is going to draft tomorrow, so if you haven't already gotten in, get there! PM me if you need the invite code, but I think it's just a couple pages back in this thread.

Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #649 on: September 10, 2007, 03:47:11 am »

Plaxico Burress is a fine fine human being. 

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #650 on: September 10, 2007, 05:55:36 am »

Not as fine as Randy Moss.  Who ever I am playing has already lost (i think I have two people going tomorrow, they have zero and I am up by five) and Randy Moss' 183 yards (!) and touchdown is the difference.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #651 on: September 10, 2007, 12:04:02 pm »

I think I need Houshmanzippy to score enough TDs that Baltimore's defense gets no points.  At least it looks like his knee is OK.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #652 on: September 10, 2007, 03:27:21 pm »

Week two of the imaginary baseball imaginary playoffs!

Radiodread, I shake your hand and then both teams come out fightin'.

I am clearly terrible at football so I'll make the most of this final baseball run.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #653 on: September 10, 2007, 03:34:22 pm »

Did I also play you at football last week.  I am The Happy Chemical?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #654 on: September 10, 2007, 05:31:45 pm »

Yep.

My problem in Pretend Football, oddly enough, is not that I did not draft reasonably well. I seem to have done that.

My problem is that since I know little about the current NFL, I didn't start the right guys ON my roster.

I could've won by a lot if I had figured that Eli Manning was going to get a lot of plays in a garbage time loss and that Adrian Peterson was going to get a full game's playing time despite being a total rookie.

This pretend football thing is a lot more of a scattershot proposition, isn't it? 17 weeks of games instead of 162 games.

Expected long-term results aren't averaged out by the longhaul of a season... things either happen or they do not.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #655 on: September 10, 2007, 05:51:07 pm »

This must say something about me and my preference for baseball.

It is a long season and some could consider it grinding or boring but... over the course of a year... the numbers cannot lie or cannot lie for long enough to effect the whole of the season. Slumps and tears will average each other out, overall merit will be judged at the end and only at the very end.

Football, two games gone poorly or exceedingly well, and you're in the playoffs or you're not. You are princes or paupers on the whims of the wind and minor injury on two or three days.

In baseball, even the championship round, you can play terribly three times as long as you play brilliantly four times.

It is much more in tune with my vision of life in general and in my hopes for my own life in specifics.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #656 on: September 10, 2007, 06:07:40 pm »

My guys are acquitting themselves well this week - just about everyone's beating their projected point score with the exception of the kicker.  The draft gave me San Diego's kicker - which is OK if PAT's count for his score.  Something tells me that San Diego isn't going to be booting a lot of 45+ yard field goals this year.  Maybe I'll have a look at the kicker free agent pool...
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #657 on: September 10, 2007, 10:31:27 pm »

Aramis Ramirez clearly hasn't forgiven me for dumping him early on.

YOU WERE INJURED, RAMMY! THERE WAS NOTHING I COULD DO!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #658 on: September 10, 2007, 11:24:21 pm »

I'm clinging to the final weeks of the baseball season like they were the last bit of rope before plummeting down a cliff. Fortunately for me, A-Rod has continued his MVP season into the first round of the playoffs, while my pitching has been surprisingly reliable. I'm looking forward to this week's battle against the Fightin' Phloggies because I know it might just be my last week of competitive imaginary sports where I know what the hell is going on.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #659 on: September 10, 2007, 11:26:13 pm »

Here's the latest for the TOUAMBie Achewood Fantasy Hockey League:
Your auto draft will be completed between now and 11:59 PM PT on Friday, Sep 14
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 79   Go Up