Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 156056 times)

0 Members and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #885 on: November 28, 2007, 12:29:09 am »

I've played a few in that kind of weather and let me tell you that being face down at the bottom of a pile will really stress out how long you can hold your breath.
You must have played line.  Our coach was always yelling at the D-linemen to "root in that mud like the hogs you are!"  You don't see much 4-point stance play in college or pros.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #886 on: November 28, 2007, 04:42:20 pm »

Sooo.... how long 'til baseball season?

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #887 on: November 28, 2007, 08:07:51 pm »

Too frickin' long.
BTW, I got assigned seats in section 409 of the Nationals' new ballpark, which was my first choice.  So yay that.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #888 on: December 03, 2007, 01:55:52 am »

So, the BCS still sucks.  Read somewhere that this year, the old system would have actually given us more answers.  Got to agree with that.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #889 on: December 03, 2007, 02:09:31 am »

A two-loss LSU team in the Big Game For The Glass Football, huh?

Okay, seriously. Eight game playoff. Lets get on this.

The seven biggest bowl games become the playoff structure, rotating through their significance every year, every other consolation bowl gets to be what they always were... nationally televised afterthoughts. Round one, Christmas weekend. Round two, New Years weekend. Round three, next week after.

Same amount of "school missed" if you wanna be Pollyanna about it, the bowls will still all be well attended because the schools could "travel" their people the quarter finals and then rounds 2 and 3... come on, they're the national semi-finals and finals.

Six big conference winners and two wild cards, the best two teams after those others.

Easy-peasy-Japanesey. Lets get on this.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #890 on: December 03, 2007, 02:21:06 am »

Yeah, this pisses me off. I was rootin' for WVU and Mizzou, mainly because no one would watch and until no one watches, this bullshit will continue to make money. OSU and LSU really deserve to be there about as much as... well, anyone else does this year. The big hope is that they stink it up with a 7-3 performance and Virginia Tech (and as a Virginia fan, this hurts) lights it up for 60 points and makes it a controversy.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #891 on: December 03, 2007, 02:34:27 am »

Alright, most of the major conferences are or can easily be 12 teams (big ten adds notre dame, pac ten adds Boise St, Hawai'i, etc) then do them like the Big 12 and SEC do their conference tournaments.  The conferences included being ACC, Big East, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 10 and SEC.  THEN, add two teams.  If any are undefeated in a non major conference they get an automatic bid.  Or, maybe make two other conferences out of the best of CUSA, Mountain West, etc, and just let their conference champs in with no non-champs in the tournament.


Also, golfhaus, you could, as a Virginia fan, hope the same happens for Hawaii, Georgia or OU.  I hope Hawai'i destroys Georgia, I think that would be the most controversy. 
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #892 on: December 03, 2007, 07:48:17 pm »

Oh, by the by... I have been banging my head against a wall since the moment the Mets traded Lastings Milledge for a fourth outfielder and a defensive catcher from the Washington Nationals.

I feel the rage that I've stopped letting myself feel over The World Situation so that I don't go crazy and I'm basically doing it for the sake of a baseball trade.

I mean... you throw out one of the best outfield prospects in the league for a ham sandwich and a bag of magic beans, just because he's a little cocky? I mean FUCK. FUCK FUCK FUCK.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #893 on: December 03, 2007, 09:27:50 pm »

Oh, by the by... I have been banging my head against a wall since the moment the Mets traded Lastings Milledge for a fourth outfielder and a defensive catcher from the Washington Nationals.

Ha ha haaaaa.  Let's go Nats.

Today, the Nats acquired Elijah Dukes, a talented yet psycho outfielder from the Devil Rays.  The guy who cell phone-e-mailed a picture of a gun to his ex-girlfriend/ex-wife/some woman.  NICE.  Outfield is getting kind of crowded.  And mental.

As for Lastings, check the wiki entry for a 'splanation:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lastings_Milledge
I suspect LFM will have more details.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #894 on: December 03, 2007, 09:30:40 pm »

While he was injured this spring, he produced a rap album with some cursing on it.

When he was seventeen, he was having consensual sex with a fifteen-year-old girl of Caucasian descent and the father tried to nail him for bread over it when he found out the dude was signing a deal with a major league ballclub, to try to soak him for part of his signing bonus.

Had one or two situations where he got into heated arguements over balls and strikes with an ump in '07.

Had a situation where he high-fived some fans running out to his position after hitting a big home-run in the bottom of the inning in '06.

LoDuca and Wagner hated him because he was a cocky young African-American in a locker room of whites and Latinos where Wagner and LoDuca thought that they got to be the firey guys, they left threatening notes in his locker and so on.

Green, Floyd, Alou and Delgado hated him because they were all friends and he really deserved the outfield corner position over Floyd or Green from about half-way into '06 and on, was threatening their buddies' playing time.

A whole lot of old players protecting their buddies from the rookie horning in on their time, a whole lot of the NYC press being overreactive assholes trying to make up headlines... and just a little bit of racism against a young black player who wasn't showing the stoic grace of an Aaron or a Robinson and was rather loud and confident about being good.

He does need to be a little more cool-headed when he gets stuck with a bad call... but that'll come with time and being a team leader.

Dude'll give you .300 30/30 and just-below-Gold-Glove defense if he's allowed to take a position and run with it and if he stays healthy.

He's exactly the best kind of young positional player and exactly the kind of player that an old-thinking douchebag like Randolph and a no-patience lets-sign-an-aging-star all-flash-no-substance guy like Minaya have no idea how to deal with.

Blah. BLAH!

The Nats got the steal of the 21st century.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #895 on: December 03, 2007, 09:45:23 pm »

Schneider seems like a real stand-up guy, he plays good defense and handles a pitching staff well.  However, he hasn't hit much the past two seasons.  Church has been kind of jerked around by the team for three years (Frank Robinson didn't like him, said he wasn't tough enough), and I suspect given a full-time gig he might actually flourish.  So I'm a little bit sad to see both guys go.

But yeah, I think Trader Jim Bowdon got one over on the Mets here.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #896 on: December 03, 2007, 10:08:15 pm »

Schneider hits like a second pitcher, hell, El Duque and Ollie Perez might both out-hit him for average in equal ABs. It's one thing to accept a great defensive catcher only hitting .250-.260 with occasional pop. It's another thing to accept an above-average defensive catcher who hits .230 with no pop.

Church's problem is that he can't hit left-handers to save his life. If myself and every other left-handed male in the world dropped dead tomorrow, yeah, Church would be a solid-if-not-amazing corner outfielder. But stick any lefty in there and he looks, at the plate, a good fuck*ng deal like Al Goddamned Leiter.

Either would be very nice bench pieces, very nice 24th and 25th men on the roster... Church in a platoon or as a fourth outfielder/left-handed pinch-hitter and Schneider as a late-inning defensive-replacement/back-up catcher...

Together, the two of them don't quite even equal one of Lastings Milledge in 2008... and they don't equal one half of Milledge in 2009.

Y'all boned us, carlos, don't you worry about that none. Boned hard.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #897 on: December 03, 2007, 10:53:23 pm »

Yeah, I saw that.  Horrible trade. 

Didn't see they also got Dukes.  That is a damn fine outfield if they stay sane. (well2/3 of an outfield)
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #898 on: December 03, 2007, 11:36:18 pm »

I've had a soft spot for Lastings Milledge ever since he hit for the cycle in a World Series game in a computer simulation I was running, and he's also indirectly responsible for Julio Franco going back to Atlanta (which wasn't a huge coup or anything, but that's really where he belongs).  I'm glad I can root for him to get the break he deserves now without making things more difficult for the Braves.  Sure, he's still in the same division, but since he's on a team that has yet to crack .500 it doesn't matter as much anymore.  My condolences to LFM, though.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #899 on: December 04, 2007, 12:37:12 am »

Between Vlady's back, Anderson's premature-oldness and Matthew's... uhm... vulnerability to the upcoming Mitchell report, Hunter makes some sense but... not as much as the Angels PR team wanted to make it sound, sure.

Cycle them through the OF and the DH, though, and it could time-out lucky to keep Vlad and Anderson fresh.

That's a best case scenario but it's possible.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 79   Go Up