Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 155506 times)

0 Members and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #930 on: December 13, 2007, 03:42:38 am »

Too late to make the deal?  Maybe, although I'm not sure I buy that.

Too late to make the deal public?  Absolutely not. 

Hunts move, pure and simple.

I don't know, I mean, you are right.  But also, that is the way coaching football works now.  Info would have been leaked anyhow, just making it worse.  The Falcons now have more time to get a coach and they may get a higher pick in the draft.  everyone wins.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #931 on: December 13, 2007, 04:01:23 am »

People weren't exactly jumping for the Ar-kansas job, y'know.

The Michigan job, either.

He could've lined something up and waited three weeks to sign on the dotted line.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #932 on: December 13, 2007, 05:02:24 am »

Don't make me do cocaine at you two!
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #933 on: December 13, 2007, 04:44:06 pm »

Deadspin has an admittedly questionable list right here: http://deadspin.com/sports/is-this-the-list%3F/is-this-the-list-of-players-mentioned-333479.php

It's fun just to look at until the real list arrives. There's no active Mariners on that list, and the former ones are total douchebags like Bret Boone and Ryan Franklin, so I'm not really affected by any of it. Well, except Albert Pujols. I was really hoping he wouldn't make it on any list shown today.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #934 on: December 13, 2007, 05:06:50 pm »

See, coming from the direction I come from as a baseball fan, you could tell me that Clemens ate babies whole... dislodged his jaw and ate them in one bite... to gain his power and I'd be all such as:

"Yeah, duh, I've been saying that for years."

He's just kind of... everything I was raised to distrust and dislike.

Big brash mean powerful arrogant half-cowboy-chauvanist half-Manhattan-slickster.

I was raised rust-belt blue-collar lefty, you know.

My sports heroes are Mookie Wilsons, y'know, not physically impressive guys who get by on guts and luck and hard work and... Mick Foleys, y'know, big beat-up basketcases that get by on smarts and the love.

Juice-fueled twangy arrogance engines... yep, that's pretty much what I was put on this world to cancel out, to balance out against.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #935 on: December 13, 2007, 08:16:27 pm »

On the one hand, as a Mets fan, I am glad to see that... basically half the pitching staff of the 2000 World Series Yankees were named.

On the other hand, had this report gone through a different dealer, I'm sure it would'a gone the other way.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #936 on: December 14, 2007, 12:31:36 am »

Maybe its just my natural libertarian tendencies, but wouldn't it be safer and easier to allow controlled steroid use? I feel like it is ridiculous to fight the tide on this one, and that it would be safer to get doctors involved. The current system rewards those who find ways to break laws and cheat the system. Why cant the system adapt to level the playing field?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #937 on: December 14, 2007, 12:46:12 am »

In theory, I'm with you, Ennewhy but...

In practice, doing that would ruin the mom and apple pie image they're shooting for, you know? So much of the marketing push for major league baseball is... tradition and... you watched with your dad, watch with your kid and... the continuity of the big-number records... and all of that good legislated nostalgia hossshit and...

To admit that it's a chemical sport and that the only way to level the field is decriminalizing and controlling it... a bit like Reno prostitution... would be to throw all that nostalgia crap out the window, even if it'd be the logical way to go.

Not to mention the whole "you're just encouraging high school and college kids to take steroids, then!" can of worms to be opened right the fuck up and... the media would crucify the fuck out of them over that, forever and ever amen, even if it wasn't fair.

The ridiculous idea that professional athletes should somehow be role models for children will forever destroy reasonable proposals such as yours.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #938 on: December 14, 2007, 02:13:36 am »

I got to agree with LFM in the Clemens regard, but also, I was most happy to see Pettite.  Always hated that guy.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #939 on: December 14, 2007, 02:25:15 am »

I mean, once it is OK to do steroids in the MLB, all the players will have to do them. That just fucks everything up, in my opinion. You shouldn't have to do drugs to play baseball, you know?

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #940 on: December 14, 2007, 03:59:47 am »

This report was kind of disappointing, though I haven't read it.  The names were weak though, and if it tells me that baseball knew about it, well, I already knew that.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #941 on: December 14, 2007, 04:10:21 am »

Oh Jay Cutler... you can't lead a real team, but you're always above-average in fantasy points.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #942 on: December 15, 2007, 12:13:17 am »

Three equal running backs, one listed by his coach as questionable for Sunday, one touted (but unproven) playing on Thursday.

I chose the latter, who earned a whopping three points when he was projected for ten. This means the other guy will not only play on Sunday, but score thrice.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #943 on: December 15, 2007, 12:19:05 am »

I'm in a similar situation... I got in theory two of the best young RBs in football and a very above-average one with Green Bay as well...

And I just have the weird feeling that whichever one of the two good young RBs I don't choose (as per nagging injuries) will have a monster day and mine will tank.

The playoffs seem to be a strangely different world.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #944 on: December 15, 2007, 01:26:20 am »

And of course, it makes sense that the one week where the weather might conspire to render the Brady-Moss tandem ineffective... The Chemicals have a bye.

That's destiny, right there.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 79   Go Up