Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 156011 times)

0 Members and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1005 on: January 07, 2008, 02:58:08 am »

I really want to go out and buy a new Redskins jersey, but damned if I can think of a player whose number I want to wear. I had this problem the last time, and solved it by going old-school and getting an Art Monk retro jersey. Portis? Fumbles too damn much. Moss? Bleh. The quarterback? We probably won't know until the Thursday before Week 1 who the QB will be. Taylor?
You should probably get a Riggins jersey before any other old-school guy.  That guy embodied the spirit of the Redskins at the time.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1006 on: January 07, 2008, 03:58:29 am »

What's up with it is Santana Moss giving up on a route, and failing to notice that Collins was throwing him the ball anyway.  That interception was really the back-breaker, but if Moss had kept running his route it probably would have been an incompletion and the 'Skins would still have had life.

This weekend's games scarcely matter, though, because I expect all four home teams to hold serve next weekend.  I give Seattle a puncher's chance at Green Bay, because I think the Packers aren't as good as their record would indicate, but otherwise, these games will be jokes.

See my post in Today I'm......   Actually don't, I said the same thing.  Seriously, why is this not a thing.


Also, I would go with Portis because he is awesome, but, well, he is kind of overrated and definitely fumbles too often.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1007 on: January 07, 2008, 06:08:29 am »

I really want to go out and buy a new Redskins jersey, but damned if I can think of a player whose number I want to wear.

I have a Darrell Green #28.  Caught it on sale at Modell's a few years ago for like $10.

Which it had to be in order for me to buy it, as the Redskins are my third-favorite team.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1008 on: January 07, 2008, 05:21:17 pm »

I think it would be amusing to have a Redskins "Day-O'Connor" jersey. But that's me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1009 on: January 07, 2008, 08:03:21 pm »

I have a Darrell Green #28.  Caught it on sale at Modell's a few years ago for like $10.

Which it had to be in order for me to buy it, as the Redskins are my third-favorite team.

People have third-favorite teams? Maybe I'm just a purist, but I can't really see people rooting for anyone besides their home team or perhaps a team with sentimental ties, like your father's favorite team.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1010 on: January 07, 2008, 08:23:36 pm »

I root for whatever team I think is most entertaining at the time. I may change allegiance several times during a single game.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1011 on: January 07, 2008, 09:19:19 pm »

I root for whatever team I think is most entertaining at the time. I may change allegiance several times during a single game.

fter my favorite teams, which are my dads since I have no home town teams.

I used to get in arguments with my Cowboys fan grandad as a kid.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1012 on: January 07, 2008, 09:43:12 pm »

People have third-favorite teams? Maybe I'm just a purist, but I can't really see people rooting for anyone besides their home team or perhaps a team with sentimental ties, like your father's favorite team.

Yeah, I know it's moderately ridiculous.  I've always been an Eagles fan.  I picked up an affection for the Ravens when they moved in up the road, especially on their Super Bowl run, and since the Eagles and Ravens are in separate conferences and thus only meet once every four years, I don't see too much conflict in that.

Living in the DC area, it is impossible to not know what's going on with the Redskins, even if you're not interested in sports.  They are leaps and bounds ahead of the other local teams in terms of popularity.  Normally I can't bring myself to cheer for them, owing to their division rivalry with Philly.  But in circumstances like this, when the Redskins are in the playoffs and the Eagles are out, yeah I suppose I'd like them to win, for the overall community's sake.

I despair that we will see a Patiots-Cowboys Super Bowl.  I loathe them both.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1013 on: January 07, 2008, 10:30:44 pm »

Having grown up without a home team, I have like 8 'favorite' teams and some other teams I hate.  Most of this is because of fantasy football or when they drafted Auburn players.

Favorites (no particular order):
  • Green Bay
  • Pittsburgh
  • Tampa Bay
  • Indianapolis
  • Tennessee
  • Cincinnati
  • Minnesota

Teams I hate:
  • Denver
  • Oakland
  • New England
  • Dallas
  • Baltimore
  • St. Louis

Everyone else is kind of 'meh,' though Jacksonville is inching its way towards the hate list.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1014 on: January 08, 2008, 12:31:33 am »

The mutual friend I met my wife through went to UVA, and her favorite football teams were the teams with former UVA players. The player switched teams, she switched allegiances. I don't know if that just shows her ferocious devotion to the college game, or a lack of dedication in the pro game.

My list:
1. Redskins
2-4. Chargers, Panthers, Steelers - this list kinda goes back and forth depending on the situation. I root for the Steelers when the situation warrants because of my wife, the Panthers due to geographic proximity, and the Chargers because at various times in history they were kinda like "Washington Redskins, West." Lots of former Washington personnel found themselves in San Diego.
5-29. Everyone else. The Patriots trend towards the bottom of the list, as do the Giants, Eagles, and Bills. Small-market teams (Kansas City, Green Bay) trend higher.
30-32. Colts, Seahawks, Cowboys. Again, the situation dictates the actual order. Seattle is a new addition, based on recent events.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1015 on: January 08, 2008, 06:17:39 pm »

It's nice to see how a team that's spent nearly its entire existence toiling in mediocrity in a forgotten, isolated corner of the country can now be considered good enough to make a dude's shit list. Go 'hawks!

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1016 on: January 08, 2008, 06:54:22 pm »

In '83 I was -1 years old. Just saying.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1017 on: January 09, 2008, 01:03:26 am »

Jesus what is with you people. One team! You get one team! If you want another team, try another fuck*ng sport, a'ight?

That having been said, my list of teams that are dead to me:

Raiders
Broncos
Patriots (recent)
Giants (recent)
'boys
'skins (bad nickname, horrible egomaniac owner)
'hawks (as Asher, leftover from AFC West)
Chiefs (sorry so low, but they are the dykes with mullets team, and who doesn't love dykes with mullets? Also, Camaros and Natty Light)
49ers (fuck 'em for beating the Bolts)
Ravens (bunch of criminals)
Jaguars (running up the score against Dan, but now I'm reaching)

That's about it. As for the rest of them, fuck 'em - who gives a shit. I do sort of like the Lions for the whole loveable loser thing and plus Barry Sanders and Bobby Ross.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1018 on: January 09, 2008, 01:49:51 am »

'skins (bad nickname, horrible egomaniac owner)

Yeah, yeah... truth is, I like that my team's name is a little racist. Fuck being PC. If they decided to change the name, I would seriously consider changing teams.

Snyder sucks, but one of these days he's going to hit the right combination, like those millionaires who run the Powerball a few years ago by buying every combination of lottery ticket.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1019 on: January 09, 2008, 02:18:51 am »

Yeah, yeah... truth is, I like that my team's name is a little racist.

Ah. Ok.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 79   Go Up