Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 156014 times)

0 Members and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1065 on: January 15, 2008, 05:53:23 am »

Volektricity is a vital component of tiny cans.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1066 on: January 16, 2008, 04:51:18 am »

I grew up a Bills fan with a secondary minor rooting interest in the Giants.

So I can cheer for the Giants and cheer against the Patriots Sunday... as being a Bills fan means hating the Dolphins and the Patriots with the passion of a thousand suns.

So, like, it's about as good a scenario for my secondary interests as you can get with my primary team out.

And it all doesn't mean 5% as much as one regular season Mets game does to me.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1067 on: January 16, 2008, 06:13:01 am »

as being a Bills fan means hating the Dolphins and the Patriots with the passion of a thousand suns.


Really? 

As a Dolphin fan I had no idea.

I mean, I'll hate the pond scum, dog ass Jets until the day I die.  But I've always been pretty ambivalent about the Bills.  I liked Marv Levy.

And, like everybody else, I hate the Pats this year (and the past couple of years too, I guess).  But it's not a visceral hate derived from my love of the Phins.  It's a generalized hate, the way I hate the Cowboys or the Yankees.

I just never got a Division Rivalry vibe between the Bills and the Dolphins.

Also, fuck the Jets.  Fuck them in their skanky eye sockets.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1068 on: January 16, 2008, 06:51:18 am »

There is no team hated more in the Buffalo area than the Dolphins. You could definitely defend Osama Bin Laden or Hitler in that town before you could Dan Marino. It's just that it's one of those one-way rivalries that I'm pretty sure Florida-area Finsfans have no idea exists.

I imagine it's a lot like how Blue Jays fans consider the Yankees their rival and the Yankees fans barely acknowledge the existence of a Toronto team and so on. Or, indeed, how much more important it is for the Mets to beat the Yankees than vice versa.

Yankees fans want to beat the Red Sox and want to win the World Series and all else is yawn.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1069 on: January 16, 2008, 07:04:35 am »

There is no team hated more in the Buffalo area than the Dolphins. You could definitely defend Osama Bin Laden or Hitler in that town before you could Dan Marino. It's just that it's one of those one-way rivalries that I'm pretty sure Florida-area Finsfans have no idea exists.

I'm certainly not questioning you here, but what it the source of this hatred?  Can you point to particular games?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1070 on: January 16, 2008, 07:08:34 am »

Hmmm. There's no particular game that I can think of off-hand.

But the few Bills games I went to, there were a lot of tee-shirts sold with dead dolphins on them and so forth. I seem to remember a stretch in the eighties or nineties when they were the best two in the AFC East and it just carried over from then.

I think a lot of it was about the idea that if they could get Miami in a December home game, the cold weather would always put the advantage in Buffalo's court... unlike against the Jets or the Patriots where, like, they had winter too, just with a little less snow.

EDIT: So it might've been one of those North Versus South things as... as much as Central and Western New York are culturally acclimated to hating the urban coastal cities like Manhattan and Boston... they are much much more inclined to mistrust Southern culture.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1071 on: January 16, 2008, 07:21:51 am »

I think a lot of it was about the idea that if they could get Miami in a December home game, the cold weather would always put the advantage in Buffalo's court... unlike against the Jets or the Patriots where, like, they had winter too, just with a little less snow.

Didn't they get a home game every year?

Quote
EDIT: So it might've been one of those North Versus South things as... as much as Central and Western New York are culturally acclimated to hating the urban coastal cities like Manhattan and Boston... they are much much more inclined to mistrust Southern culture.

Certain elements around these parts hate mistrust anybody from north of the Ohio River.

Of course, Miami is about as southern as Hoboken.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1072 on: January 16, 2008, 08:17:07 pm »

Yeah, home game every year, but not necessarily December home game.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1073 on: January 16, 2008, 08:21:53 pm »

Yeah, that's the thing.

A home game for Buffalo in September or October could well be a pleasant 60-degree "Indian Summer" day that affords them no real advantage other than your general home-game stuff.

It's if they get to play you at Rich Stadium, like, the Sunday before Christmas when it is -10 and three inches of snow on the field. That's where even a mediocre Bills team can come out and upset a very good warm-weather team.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1074 on: January 17, 2008, 12:34:05 am »

I'm glad my teams all have red-hot rivalries. Mets-Braves. Mets-Yankees. Redskins-Cowboys. Cavaliers-Hokies. Good stuff.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1075 on: January 17, 2008, 01:25:49 am »

God, we need to get some pretend sports back up in this thread. The real sports shit is killing me.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1076 on: January 17, 2008, 10:44:20 pm »

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa Keeeeeeeeeeee . . .
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1077 on: January 19, 2008, 06:58:43 pm »

Welcome back, Somebody nice.

I probably should have kept my mouth shut.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1078 on: January 19, 2008, 07:44:38 pm »

Welcome back, Somebody nice.

I probably should have kept my mouth shut.

Heh... I suck at this whole fantasy sport thing. But I'm dissatisfied with my 6/6 rating. We'll see how things go.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1079 on: January 19, 2008, 08:03:12 pm »

Heh... I suck at this whole fantasy sport thing. But I'm dissatisfied with my 6/6 rating. We'll see how things go.

I see you unloaded that deadwood Sakic (I'm kidding!)
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 79   Go Up