Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 156166 times)

0 Members and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1080 on: January 19, 2008, 08:09:41 pm »

I see you unloaded that deadwood Sakic (I'm kidding!)

Yeah, he was injured and so I decided I'd better get him outta there. Along with the other 2/3 of my team that was injured. Great joerb on not logging in for six months, Somebody nice.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1081 on: January 21, 2008, 03:26:58 am »

Eli Manning is going to the Super Bowl. This reminds me...

I once saw a clip of the Manning brothers playing backyard football, none of them could have been older than 7 at the time. Peyton makes a tackle -- or tag, or something -- on Eli. Sure enough, Eli starts crying his eyes out. Peyton looks at the camera to plead his case and Eli takes off running for the end  zone. If that's not the perfect allegory for Eli's career, I don't know what is. You spend four years thinking the guy might be mildly retarded and all of a sudden he catches you by surprise and runs it into the end zone. Beautiful.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1082 on: January 21, 2008, 03:41:22 am »

Eli Manning is going to the Super Bowl. This reminds me...

I once saw a clip of the Manning brothers playing backyard football, none of them could have been older than 7 at the time. Peyton makes a tackle -- or tag, or something -- on Eli. Sure enough, Eli starts crying his eyes out. Peyton looks at the camera to plead his case and Eli takes off running for the end  zone. If that's not the perfect allegory for Eli's career, I don't know what is. You spend four years thinking the guy might be mildly retarded and all of a sudden he catches you by surprise and runs it into the end zone. Beautiful.

I saw that to. You drew a strikingly different conclusion from it than I did, though.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1083 on: January 21, 2008, 03:41:50 am »

Yeah, for some reason this made me a huge fan of Eli.  I can't stand Peyton, but Eli seems different, like he cares about more than football and kenny chesney's cock.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1084 on: January 21, 2008, 03:55:36 am »

I officially hate everyone involved in the Super Bowl (except Heath Evans).

Maybe the Giants can rush Brady effectively, but they're going against a Sith Lord with two weeks to compare and only a month since the last time they were defeated.  Grr.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1085 on: January 21, 2008, 04:00:37 am »

I saw that to. You drew a strikingly different conclusion from it than I did, though.

You mean to suggest he's still retarded or never was?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1086 on: January 21, 2008, 04:21:42 am »

You mean to suggest he's still retarded or never was?


I mean to suggest he's a giant pussy. He is retarded, though. At least he seems like it.

Sorry, I'm just enraged that I am now put in a position to root for the douchebag. I'm going to rationalize it by pretending that the whole thing about refusing to play for the Chargers was his dad's idea, the old fuck.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1087 on: January 21, 2008, 07:43:02 am »

To answer your question from another thread nabu, the greatest sports blog ever:

http://vegaswatch.net/
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1088 on: January 21, 2008, 02:47:36 pm »

To answer your question from another thread nabu, the greatest sports blog ever:

http://vegaswatch.net/

That's exceedingly likely to be blocked here at work . . . I'll bet.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1089 on: January 21, 2008, 02:55:57 pm »

Yeah, this Super Bowl is going to suck it, hard.  I'll still make chili and watch the game, though, because it's what you do.  And I will turn XXXVIII.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1090 on: January 21, 2008, 04:22:44 pm »

Yeah, this Super Bowl is going to suck. But to be fair, I haven't been able to get worked up over any Super Bowl since the the Seahawks lost. When your football fandom reaches such a towering peak only to have it come crashing down in a blaze of tragedy, you tend to take a while to let yourself get emotionally invested in the sport again.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1091 on: January 21, 2008, 04:55:38 pm »

Yeah, this Super Bowl is going to suck. But to be fair, I haven't been able to get worked up over any Super Bowl since the the Seahawks lost. When your football fandom reaches such a towering peak only to have it come crashing down in a blaze of tragedy, you tend to take a while to let yourself get emotionally invested in the sport again.

1994. fuck*ng 49ers.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1092 on: January 22, 2008, 01:32:19 am »

I'm gonna throw in with the Pats here, because 1) it's the easier sell, and 2) that asshole from the '72 Dolphins who basically says "y'all aint shit! y'all ain't shit!" every year will finally be denied his television time for good.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1093 on: January 22, 2008, 01:45:22 am »

Cheerin' Giants, resigned to a Patriot rout.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1094 on: January 22, 2008, 02:04:42 am »

I'm gonna throw in with the Pats here, because 1) it's the easier sell, and 2) that asshole from the '72 Dolphins who basically says "y'all aint shit! y'all ain't shit!" every year will finally be denied his television time for good.

That guy is Mercury Morris and he was in jail for cocaine trafficking.  I have been routing both for and against the Pats since the week after the Redskins game.  Not just because of Fantasy either.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 79   Go Up